Urlacher out for three games!

Alaskan Grizzly

MLB is and has been a position of need since before this season started. This injury just magnifies it even more. His body has clearly broken down, and it's not going to get any better. These players on defense are all older, and I think we are starting to see the natural decline defensively as the year goes on because of it.

MLB is and has been a position of need since before this season started. This injury just magnifies it even more. His body has clearly broken down, and it's not going to get any better. These players on defense are all older, and I think we are starting to see the natural decline defensively as the year goes on because of it.

Baltimore is feeling the same way we are.

I think the team can still eek out more production of a few players; Tillman, Briggs and Peppers...but not much.

Obviously Urlacher's loss is probably the most noticeable. Especially given the intangibles he provides when he is playing.

This is a need position. I think teams have realized you can give the Bears fits with a running QB (this was never previously the case). Now maybe we just didn't have much film on Colin and weren't prepared for Russel to run this much, but two teams have exploited that kind of QB option on us. And it is hard to say that Seattle exploited it, given that they had very few points up until the final 2 drives of the game, but dang, to let them go 2 straight TD drives (one being 97 yards), its just pathetic.

Wilson was fantastic in those drives though so I definitely tip my cap. He made some plays but I don't know what the heck the Bears line was doing. It was like they didn't know how to do a contained rush.

This is a need position. I think teams have realized you can give the Bears fits with a running QB (this was never previously the case). Now maybe we just didn't have much film on Colin and weren't prepared for Russel to run this much, but two teams have exploited that kind of QB option on us. And it is hard to say that Seattle exploited it, given that they had very few points up until the final 2 drives of the game, but dang, to let them go 2 straight TD drives (one being 97 yards), its just pathetic.

It could also be that one of the Bears' primary actions for a LB is to immediately drop back into coverage, and since the other players are usually playing their area of responsibility instead of man-to-man, there is a lot more room for a QB to roam. Before this flaw was covered by the ridiculous abilities of a healthy Brian Urlacher, but now they are being exposed. It's no big surprise since many have mentioned that this type of defense is incredibly flawed unless you have three key pieces: 1-A DT that can collapse the pocket, 2-A MLB with ridiculous range and speed, 3-A FS with great instincts and sure tackling.

Granted, those three guys fit well in any defensive scheme, but they are absolutely critical to the Lovie-2.

What do you guys think about McClellin as a 4-3 SLB? Not as your tradition coverage SLB, I'm talking about as a pass rusher ala Von Miller? I personally feel like he's an OLB in a 3-4 but Lovie isn't running the Cover 2 hardly at all anymore. Instead, he's gone to more single high safety looks, my guess is because they don't believe Urlacher can cover the deep middle anymore, which makes sense.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but we've already seen McClellin standing up occasionally when he's in there, could he work out as a pass rushing LB in an altered 4-3 scheme? Maybe this would never happen for as long as Lovie Smith is the head coach, but if we had a coaching change to another 4-3 I think this could be a possibility. Thoughts?

What do you guys think about McClellin as a 4-3 SLB? Not as your tradition coverage SLB, I'm talking about as a pass rusher ala Von Miller? I personally feel like he's an OLB in a 3-4 but Lovie isn't running the Cover 2 hardly at all anymore. Instead, he's gone to more single high safety looks, my guess is because they don't believe Urlacher can cover the deep middle anymore, which makes sense.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but we've already seen McClellin standing up occasionally when he's in there, could he work out as a pass rushing LB in an altered 4-3 scheme? Maybe this would never happen for as long as Lovie Smith is the head coach, but if we had a coaching change to another 4-3 I think this could be a possibility. Thoughts?

Don't the broncos run a 3-4 with Dumerville and Miller as 3-4 OLB's?

I like the idea, but while Lovie doesn't run the strict cover-2 any more, he still has his LBs drop back into coverage far too often for my liking. I think the end result would be SMC rushing less often than we would like, getting toasted in coverage by a slot WR, and us talking about a wasted draft pick.