What about Lovie after this year?

Daventry

So many of us have expressed dissatisfaction with Lovie and Co,. wondering on thoughts about next year for Lovie and staff.

I was talking to my dad last night and it led me to feel that maybe it would be best to keep him on, he has been a good figure for Chicago and with the help of Emery in the future maybe he will have the players to take us to the big game.

I say this with some trepidation as I am not a fan of his Defensive philosophy but overall he seems to do a good job...

What do the experts think?

I don't think he's going anywhere, but I've already made my mind up that I personally don't want him here. I think he's worn out his welcome, he's been here forever, and had a good run while his defense was in the prime of their careers. Well, now they're not, and because of bad drafting, nobody is good enough to step in and fill the shoes of some of these guys. Lovie is a bad talent evaluator, and a poor game manager. Case in point, starting Kelvin Hayden over DJ Moore. We all know why Moore hasn't played (The comments earlier in the year about Cutler, and then again opening his mouth a week later) but most people could just tell you after watching one football game that DJ Moore is a much better player than Kelvin Hayden.

I don't like him, and never have, though you have to admit, he does teach his guys how to play his style of defense. They all go after the football, they all fly to the ball. It's great when you can get pressure from the front four, but is a disaster of a defense when you can't. The Bears haven't been doing that lately, and because of how bad Urlacher has gotten, they have been forced into playing more single high safety. It just seems to me that age is showing more now, than ever before. Guys don't look like they're as fast reacting as they used to be. They're always a step slow now.

I say you cut ties with Lovie unless he get squeak out a playoff win, and get somebody else to run the ship. That's my opinion, but I'm pretty sure he's not going anywhere. He'll get to stay in classic Lovie fashion. He'll get the team into the playoffs and that'll be enough. Then they'll sign him to an extension that they'll regret after a year.

I'm no expert, but felt Lovie should have been gone years ago after he tried to be the defensive coordinator and failed at it. That said, I think the Bears have to keep him another year no matter what.

There are holes on offense that need to be filled this offseason, and they can't afford to retool the defense too to meet a new defensive scheme this year. As much as I would like to see him go, it's just smarter to keep him around with the D's age and talent that is here. I wouldn't extend him tho.

Tice I'd fire. Marinelli has proven to be a very good DC for this defensive scheme so he would stay.

Tice I'd fire. Marinelli has proven to be a very good DC for this defensive scheme so he would stay.

I'd be surprised if Marinelli stayed after Lovie is gone. Those two are good friends. I don't see Marinelli wanting to work for anybody else in Chicago if it isn't Lovie. Tice on the other hand, I think you have to give him another year, though I certainly could see why someone would want him fired.

I think more than anything, we learned that Mike Martz is a better OC than Tice is. With virtually the same offensive line as last year, he was still somehow able to get more out of the offense, in terms of productivity than Mike Tice, who has given way more help to line than Martz ever did while he was here, and is still worse. I always point out that the offense under Martz was pretty darn successful last year before Cutler went down, offensive line troubles and all, but he still wasn't the right guy for Cutler.

I'd be surprised if Marinelli stayed after Lovie is gone. Those two are good friends. I don't see Marinelli wanting to work for anybody else in Chicago if it isn't Lovie. Tice on the other hand, I think you have to give him another year, though I certainly could see why someone would want him fired.

I think more than anything, we learned that Mike Martz is a better OC than Tice is. With virtually the same offensive line as last year, he was still somehow able to get more out of the offense, in terms of productivity than Mike Tice, who has given way more help to line than Martz ever did while he was here, and is still worse. I always point out that the offense under Martz was pretty darn successful last year before Cutler went down, offensive line troubles and all, but he still wasn't the right guy for Cutler.

Yea I definitely wouldn't keep Marinelli without Lovie. I was just saying if we keep him this year, Marinelli is fine.

I'm sure he stays. but he shouldn't. IMO he's the NFC's Norv Turner - whereas Norv had great offensive talent and could never seem to put it together, Lovie had great defensive talent and can't. I just don't see him getting this team over the hump.

Agreed. Time for a change.

At the moment, I'm in agreement as well... But I do want to see how this all plays out. ..and regardless what I think and want, my bet is that he stays no matter what.

They're not going to have him go into a season with a 1 year contract next year since he could get lucky, win, and then be a free agent coach that would take >$10 mil a year to replace. Either he's going to earn a contract extension or this is the time when he will be let go; because he's cheap to replace.

Probably the extention then...although to me, if we miss the playoffs yet again...I just can't justify it.

They're not going to have him go into a season with a 1 year contract next year since he could get lucky, win, and then be a free agent coach that would take >$10 mil a year to replace. Either he's going to earn a contract extension or this is the time when he will be let go; because he's cheap to replace.

Its real simple. They either win and get in the playoffs, in which case he stays, or they don't get in, in which case he goes.

Sadly, I agree. The sad part being just getting in the postseason means he keeps his job. I hope Emery is looking at the bigger picture here rather than just saying, "Oh look, we're in the playoffs, lets sign him to a 3 year extension!" Anything less than a playoff victory should equal a firing, in my opinion.

Its real simple. They either win and get in the playoffs, in which case he stays, or they don't get in, in which case he goes.

Unfortunately I agree. I would like to see a change. We need an offensive coach as the defense is about to become a weakness in the next year or two. We have some great skill position players. We need to take advantage of them.

Peace :dabears

Bruce Arians name is going to be popping up. He's been tremendous in Indianapolis. Wouldn't mind giving him a shot if Lovie gets the boot. Mike Holmgren would be another guy to keep an eye on. The only thing I worry about with him is the fact that he's already retired once, he's not a long term answer. I just like his offensive philosophy.

Bruce Arians name is going to be popping up. He's been tremendous in Indianapolis. Wouldn't mind giving him a shot if Lovie gets the boot. Mike Holmgren would be another guy to keep an eye on. The only thing I worry about with him is the fact that he's already retired once, he's not a long term answer. I just like his offensive philosophy.

Holmgren would want personnel power and that backfired big time in Cleveland.

I'm the one who brought up Arians. He seems like a Bears guy. Quiet, will be a yes-man. I will say that maybe there's something about him because I believe he won 2 rings as the OC in Pittsburgh but no one has ever given him a chance.

Lovie is a bad talent evaluator, and a poor game manager.

It's great when you can get pressure from the front four, but is a disaster of a defense when you can't.

I say you cut ties with Lovie unless he get squeak out a playoff win, and get somebody else to run the ship. That's my opinion, but I'm pretty sure he's not going anywhere. He'll get to stay in classic Lovie fashion. He'll get the team into the playoffs and that'll be enough. Then they'll sign him to an extension that they'll regret after a year.

I cut out the parts that are unimportant to me. You absolutely hit this one out of the ballpark. Dead-on.

I tend to agree it is probably time for him to go I guess, I have real mixed feelings. He certainly isn't getting us to the next level and I have to agree with others about the lack of talent evaluation skills and the unsound defensive philosophy. I would add that some of his assistance coach choices have been poor, see Mike Tice as O coordinator recently which reminds me of the Jauron/Shoop affair.

I tend to think with a better D coordinator we had the team to go farther than we have recently, especially this year although injuries didn't help.

I just hope that if we get someone else we are very careful about who we get and try to ensure a good chance for success.

I bet we don't make the playoffs this year with the way things are going, which might just give many of us here a better chance for our hopes to be met.

He can go 5 years ago. He is the only common thread to the teams failure.(unless you want to blame 54) Dude has more lives than a cat...

Yup.

Lovie should have been fired after '09 after Cut's first year. Angelo could have brought in an offensive mind to help build around Cutler.

Instead, even though JA isn't here anymore, we're in that "hand basket" of probably hiring Cut's 4th OC in 5 years.

If we were to bring in a new Coach, he would want his guys not be saddled with someone else's.

Totally agree. I was just saying if Lovie stuck around, then Marinelli is one of the few coaches that should stick around with him. Tice needs to be gone.

I've thought about it all together since, and I actually think it's time for a change now. Earlier in the thread I said I would keep Lovie around another year due to the aging defense. The idea being, they are trained and know his system so well that the D could be competitive again another year.

I've changed my mind now. A new coach, hopefully, will mean a different D system. While the players on the team may be ideal for Lovie's, I think it would better to switch now. Those same players would make the transition easier. If he stays, there will be more players brought in this offseason to fit his system instead of the one we would transition too sooner or later. Plus, it's been 9 years. If it was going to happen, the team would have won a Super Bowl by now. There's a lot of tape out there on this D now. Sometimes it's just time to move on.