No playoffs, no Urlacher going forward?

Connorbear

If we change coaches and, thus, defensive schemes, does Urlacher come back? He was perfect for Lovie's cover 2 but does he fit a 3-4 scheme? Emery has no long-term tie to Urlacher and should bring in players that fit the scheme best.

I know we all love Urlacher and want him to retire a Bear but the reality is that is a decision we are making is based on emotion. We need to be prepared for the very realistic chance he will not be back with the Bears.

Peace :dabears

If Nick Roach is our answer then we better bring Urlacher back. I've always thought that whichever rookie we take in the 1st or 2nd round is hopefully a MLB capable of starting. Urlacher isn't even close to what he used to be, but he's still better than Nick Roach.

My guess is that Lovie will be back, and they'll re-sign Urlacher to play for at least one more season.

My hope is that Lovie is fired, and we get a coach that won't sit on his hands when teams adjust. I would prefer a hybrid style that uses elements of the 4-3 and 3-4 together. I believe you can make anything work with good coaching. Players can adjust to play different schemes, it's about coaching and teaching. Remember when the Packers made their switch to a 3-4, everybody was saying that they didn't have the right personnel to make it work. It can work if you know what the hell you're doing, and Dom Capers did.

If we change coaches and, thus, defensive schemes, does Urlacher come back? He was perfect for Lovie's cover 2 but does he fit a 3-4 scheme? Emery has no long-term tie to Urlacher and should bring in players that fit the scheme best.

I know we all love Urlacher and want him to retire a Bear but the reality is that is a decision we are making is based on emotion. We need to be prepared for the very realistic chance he will not be back with the Bears.

Urlacher wasn't very good this year so unless he finds the fountain of youth, I don't anticipate him getting significantly better. I wouldn't call him bad (this year), but he's been nothing other then mediocre. In fact, I really don't think (outside of leadership), there is a huge downgrade with Urlacher out. That isn't to say I think Nick Roach is good, cause he's not.

If Nick Roach is our answer then we better bring Urlacher back. I've always thought that whichever rookie we take in the 1st or 2nd round is hopefully a MLB capable of starting. Urlacher isn't even close to what he used to be, but he's still better than Nick Roach.

My guess is that Lovie will be back, and they'll re-sign Urlacher to play for at least one more season.

My hope is that Lovie is fired, and we get a coach that won't sit on his hands when teams adjust. I would prefer a hybrid style that uses elements of the 4-3 and 3-4 together. I believe you can make anything work with good coaching. Players can adjust to play different schemes, it's about coaching and teaching. Remember when the Packers made their switch to a 3-4, everybody was saying that they didn't have the right personnel to make it work. It can work if you know what the hell you're doing, and Dom Capers did.

I realize the Packers D will light up the Bears next Sunday, but there D isn't very good. There are plenty of bad 3-4 d's out there too (it isn't just some magical d that works all the time). Its all about getting good personnel.

I realize the Packers D will light up the Bears next Sunday, but there D isn't very good. There are plenty of bad 3-4 d's out there too (it isn't just some magical d that works all the time). Its all about getting good personnel.

They weren't that good before they made the switch to the 3-4. When Capers took over in 2009, their defense went from 21st to 2nd overall in one season. Then the following year they won the Superbowl. The Houston Texans, under Wade Phillips, went from being the worst pass defense in NFL history to 2nd overall in one season. It's not a magic pill, but the notion of some people that such a transition would take years to develop is nonsense. Get a good coach, find yourself a pass rusher and make it work.

They weren't that good before they made the switch to the 3-4. When Capers took over in 2009, their defense went from 21st to 2nd overall in one season. Then the following year they won the Superbowl. The Houston Texans, under Wade Phillips, went from being the worst pass defense in NFL history to 2nd overall in one season. It's not a magic pill, but the notion of some people that such a transition would take years to develop is nonsense. Get a good coach, find yourself a pass rusher and make it work.

Yeah, well, unless the Bears plan on using their 1st round pick on a 3-4 OLB in hopes of finding JJ Watt and Clay Matthews, don't count on it working. Alex Okafor from Texas and Sam Montgomery are options there. But like I said, it has to actually work, and Emery's first draft has been horrendous 14 weeks in.

They also drafted BJ Raji that year with a very high draft pick, IIRC, which filled in an absolutely gaping hole in the middle of their line that was causing them to be killed by teams' running games.

They also drafted BJ Raji that year with a very high draft pick, IIRC, which filled in an absolutely gaping hole in the middle of their line that was causing them to be killed by teams' running games.

Yeah, both Clay and Raji right? For some reason, Raji sucks now, and hardly even played as a rookie. My feeling is if you get the right guys at the crucial positions of the defense, everything else falls into place. I think McClellin can be a really good pass rushing 3-4 OLB. Finding a disruptive DL is the next thing you'd need to figure out if a 3-4 is the type of defense you're shooting for.

Actually, it sounds to me like it has a lot to do with coaching. Wade Phillips is one of the best DC's of all time. Dom is one of the better of the last 15 years too.

Actually, it sounds to me like it has a lot to do with coaching. Wade Phillips is one of the best DC's of all time. Dom is one of the better of the last 15 years too.

i agree with most of what you stated. little bum to me is and has been a very good defensive coordinator throughout the decades but has the buddy ryan syndrome as a head coach. i would have taken (and still would) phillips in a new york minute as our DC. to me he is light years ahead of lovie and lovie's entire system of defense.

capers seems to me to be capable as DC and appears to be able to figure out whatever coaches and personnel we throw at the packers. we have been out-coached and out-ownered/VPPP/GM'ed year after year for decades and it shows that we have no clue how to plan ahead further than the immediate season.

Yeah, well, unless the Bears plan on using their 1st round pick on a 3-4 OLB in hopes of finding JJ Watt and Clay Matthews, don't count on it working. Alex Okafor from Texas and Sam Montgomery are options there. But like I said, it has to actually work, and Emery's first draft has been horrendous 14 weeks in.

But don't the Bears supposedly already have the potential 3-4 OLB pass rushing demon already on the roster?

I would LOVE a switch to the 3-4.

Urlacher fit DJ's scheme a lot better with mammoths in front of him keeping blockers off allowing him to run sideline to sideline.

While U-Boat has been unreal in the Cover-2, he mostly just turns around and runs backwards in it. Urlacher would have been brilliant in any scheme.

Urlacher fit DJ's scheme a lot better with mammoths in front of him keeping blockers off allowing him to run sideline to sideline.

While U-Boat has been unreal in the Cover-2, he mostly just turns around and runs backwards in it. Urlacher would have been brilliant in any scheme.

Great point. I'm convinced the current system has minimized Urlacher's potential impact drastically. He spends far too much time back-pedaling and running deep middle coverage. He'd fit just fine in a 3-4 scheme where his job was to run into his gap, blitz on occasion, and generally create havoc.

Great points.

Based on that, could the change to 3-4 prolong his career, whereas staying with the Smith D would shorten it?

Great point. I'm convinced the current system has minimized Urlacher's potential impact drastically. He spends far too much time back-pedaling and running deep middle coverage. He'd fit just fine in a 3-4 scheme where his job was to run into his gap, blitz on occasion, and generally create havoc.

Yeah, I think we could switch to 3-4 easily. Peppers, Melton, Wooten, Url, Mcclellin, Briggs could make the switch well. We would need another rusher and huge guy for the middle.

Yeah, I think we could switch to 3-4 easily. Peppers, Melton, Wooten, Url, Mcclellin, Briggs could make the switch well. We would need another rusher and huge guy for the middle.

I don't think that would be an easy transition at all. I do believe Tillman would benefit from it better than any Bear as it would allow him to play more bump and run/be as physical as possible. Tillman has been another that has been hurt by the Lovie defense....I concede that he has had a wonderful year this season- but this system as made Tillman show his talents after the WR catches the ball versus showing his ball skills while the ball is in the air.

I would be curious to see how we would switch over to a 3-4....we'd need a brand new NT to play inside (a Raji type w/o the dancing).

I would think you'd move Briggs inside, but he would struggle much like Hawk for GB does (if you disagree ask any Packer fan what they think of Hawk). I would move Melton out to DE in the 3-4, which I'd think he'd be perfect for. It may be against popular opinion, but I'd make Peppers a DE in the 3-4 as well and NOT an OLB. Think about it. I don't think you'd find a better fit than a 6'7'', 285lb DE at this point in his career to be a DE at the 3-4...only problem it takes away from an extremely gifted pass rusher. Wooten would be useless, SMC seems ideal as an OLB in a 3-4, but certainly could bust there as well.

I'll jump on to a 3-4 idea as the Bears potentially rebuild their defense only because I've hated the passive/laid back schematics on defense in Lovie's tenure.

With all of that being said- Lovie can hang his hat on ungodly numbers his defense has put up, but I still feel as if they've underachieved other than '05 and '06.

Melton would play DE in a 3-4. Peppers would hate it, as the reason he chose Chicago when he was a UFA was because he wanted to play in a 4-3. Wootton doesn't seem like a fit anywhere in a 3-4. Briggs could easily play in any D it seems. McClellin is obviously better suited for a 3-4. With his current speed, I doubt Urlacher could play in a 3-4.

Smith's D is predicated on letting the other team make a mistake. That's why we beat crummy teams, and lose to good ones. Good ones make very few mistakes.

I don't think that would be an easy transition at all. I do believe Tillman would benefit from it better than any Bear as it would allow him to play more bump and run/be as physical as possible. Tillman has been another that has been hurt by the Lovie defense....I concede that he has had a wonderful year this season- but this system as made Tillman show his talents after the WR catches the ball versus showing his ball skills while the ball is in the air.

I would be curious to see how we would switch over to a 3-4....we'd need a brand new NT to play inside (a Raji type w/o the dancing).

I would think you'd move Briggs inside, but he would struggle much like Hawk for GB does (if you disagree ask any Packer fan what they think of Hawk). I would move Melton out to DE in the 3-4, which I'd think he'd be perfect for. It may be against popular opinion, but I'd make Peppers a DE in the 3-4 as well and NOT an OLB. Think about it. I don't think you'd find a better fit than a 6'7'', 285lb DE at this point in his career to be a DE at the 3-4...only problem it takes away from an extremely gifted pass rusher. Wooten would be useless, SMC seems ideal as an OLB in a 3-4, but certainly could bust there as well.

I'll jump on to a 3-4 idea as the Bears potentially rebuild their defense only because I've hated the passive/laid back schematics on defense in Lovie's tenure.

With all of that being said- Lovie can hang his hat on ungodly numbers his defense has put up, but I still feel as if they've underachieved other than '05 and '06.

Melton would play DE in a 3-4. Peppers would hate it, as the reason he chose Chicago when he was a UFA was because he wanted to play in a 4-3. Wootton doesn't seem like a fit anywhere in a 3-4. Briggs could easily play in any D it seems. McClellin is obviously better suited for a 3-4. With his current speed, I doubt Urlacher could play in a 3-4.

It would almost be cost prohibitive to play a 3-4 and have Peppers play DE as you could almost sign an UFA and pay them to seal off the corner on one side in the system. Its almost the style DE DJ had in his 4-3 where he had DT type guys playing DE.

I think Peppers would do well in a 3-4 as DE- as he may compare favorably to Watt at that position.

Regardless the Bears COULD have a descent starting point to switch to a 3-4 with Peppers/Melton at DEs to go along with SMC as an OLB. The rest of the front 7 is totally up for debate however.

I do think our S would have a lot of issues in a 3-4 simply because they're not fast at all....they'd be ask to cover more than sit in a soft cover like they do now.

...and seriously, what has Peppers done recently anyway? He can adjust or retire.

It would almost be cost prohibitive to play a 3-4 and have Peppers play DE as you could almost sign an UFA and pay them to seal off the corner on one side in the system. Its almost the style DE DJ had in his 4-3 where he had DT type guys playing DE.

I think Peppers would do well in a 3-4 as DE- as he may compare favorably to Watt at that position.

Regardless the Bears COULD have a descent starting point to switch to a 3-4 with Peppers/Melton at DEs to go along with SMC as an OLB. The rest of the front 7 is totally up for debate however.

I do think our S would have a lot of issues in a 3-4 simply because they're not fast at all....they'd be ask to cover more than sit in a soft cover like they do now.

I think you got it backwards, in regards to Peppers. I remember the word on the street about him is that he wanted to play in a 3-4 system as an OLB so it would be easier for him to rush the passer. New England wanted him real bad. The only reason he chose Chicago is because of the $$$$$.

Even so, at his current age, he probably wouldn't be the greatest OLB that he could have been 3-4 years ago. Considering you'd have McClellin already as the designated pass rushing OLB, you wouldn't need two. The other guy is more responsible for covering the TE, and that wouldn't be something you'd want Peppers to do. Had Peppers been in a 3-4 during his prime, he would have played the role McClellin is suited to play. Fortunately, he's big enough to be a DE in either scheme.

I think you got it backwards, in regards to Peppers. I remember the word on the street about him is that he wanted to play in a 3-4 system as an OLB so it would be easier for him to rush the passer. New England wanted him real bad. The only reason he chose Chicago is because of the $$$$$.

Even so, at his current age, he probably wouldn't be the greatest OLB that he could have been 3-4 years ago. Considering you'd have McClellin already as the designated pass rushing OLB, you wouldn't need two. The other guy is more responsible for covering the TE, and that wouldn't be something you'd want Peppers to do. Had Peppers been in a 3-4 during his prime, he would have played the role McClellin is suited to play. Fortunately, he's big enough to be a DE in either scheme.

You pretty much summed up why Peppers is better suited to be a DE in a 3-4 rather than an OLB.....3-4 years ago yes he would have been like a house on fire- but not now.

I may be selling Pep short as he's played all year with plantar fasciitis. Regardless he's closer to being Watt at this point in his career than he is to an Orakpo.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...ollege-football

What about Chip Kelly bringing the spread offense to Chicago? Yeah I know Vegas odds would probably be 1000:1 considering we wouldn't pay Kelly top dollar to come...but if you ask me it would be worth the gamble for the Bears.

They're about to re-build their defense anyway and this would give Cutler his first legit offensive mind in Chicago. The Bears having Cutler, Marshall and Forte already in the fold would be a good start for that type of offense.