No playoffs, no Urlacher going forward?

Connorbear

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...ollege-football

What about Chip Kelly bringing the spread offense to Chicago? Yeah I know Vegas odds would probably be 1000:1 considering we wouldn't pay Kelly top dollar to come...but if you ask me it would be worth the gamble for the Bears.

They're about to re-build their defense anyway and this would give Cutler his first legit offensive mind in Chicago. The Bears having Cutler, Marshall and Forte already in the fold would be a good start for that type of offense.

I would say no to Kelly. #1 Cutler isn't RGIII like, in his ability to run a spread option at the NFL level, and #2 I worry about guys that have never coached anything at the NFL level. There is a huge risk to take on Kelly that could fall flat on its face quickly, to any team that hires him.

My list of potential coaches, assuming Lovie is gone are as follows..

1- Sean Payton

Dur. Sort of a no brainer here if you can get him, which is highly unlikely. I'd be on his front lawn with a semi load, filled with bags of cash, if he were ever to entertain the idea of leaving New Orleans. I think his contract situation is more of a formality and will get taken care of in short order. Though it is fun to dream :)

2- Bruce Arians

What he's done in Indianapolis is remarkable. Granted, the schedule hasn't been the most difficult, he's got that offense #7 overall in the NFL, with a rookie quarterback that's been very up and down all year. He hasn't even completed 56% of his passes.. That's saying something. Arians has a lot of experience being on the sidelines at the NFL level. He had a good offense in Pittsburgh before he left, I think he could turn this franchise around to a more offensive oriented team, like it should be.

3- Mike Holmgren

He might even be my #2 option if he hadn't already retired once before. It's also unknown whether a guy like Holmgren would demand power over personnel decisions, which would obviously be a major no-no for Phil. Assuming that's not the case, how could you not like Mike Holmgren? Who takes Seattle to a Superbowl, honestly? The guy is a hell of a coach, and he knows how to teach offense. If you brought him in here I guarantee you the offense would run smoother.

4- Greg Roman

Currently the offensive coordinator for the 49'ers. As I've mentioned in other posts, the 49'ers run some of the most creative run sets that an NFL team has seen in a while. Of course, the 49'ers offensive line doesn't come in a package deal (Wish it did) but you get the guy that knows how to design these plays. He'd be a risk, just like the others I'm about to mention, in that he's one of the hot names being tossed around, and a lot of times, you can't really trust that.

5- Rob Chudzinski

Another offensive coordinator. We seem to be establishing a theme here. He really got the whole spread option, NFL stuff, going again with Cam Newton. He was more of a hot name last year, but he also was responsible for making the Browns offense relevant a couple of years ago to, when they were 8th overall.

6- Bill Obrien

Anytime you have a disciple of Bill Belichick, you must proceed with caution. Everybody that becomes a Head coach, after working with Bill Belichick, has failed miserably, which is why he's at the bottom of my list. I do like how he runs an offense though. He likes to run a lot of two TE sets. We'd obviously need to find someone that can catch a pass though before we start actually using them.

I think you got it backwards, in regards to Peppers. I remember the word on the street about him is that he wanted to play in a 3-4 system as an OLB so it would be easier for him to rush the passer. New England wanted him real bad. The only reason he chose Chicago is because of the $$$$$.

Even so, at his current age, he probably wouldn't be the greatest OLB that he could have been 3-4 years ago. Considering you'd have McClellin already as the designated pass rushing OLB, you wouldn't need two. The other guy is more responsible for covering the TE, and that wouldn't be something you'd want Peppers to do. Had Peppers been in a 3-4 during his prime, he would have played the role McClellin is suited to play. Fortunately, he's big enough to be a DE in either scheme.

You are totally correct, everything coming out of Peppers camp leading up to FA was that he wanted to go somewhere that ran a 3-4. For that reason I didnt think we had a shot at getting him.

You are totally correct, everything coming out of Peppers camp leading up to FA was that he wanted to go somewhere that ran a 3-4. For that reason I didnt think we had a shot at getting him.

I don't think ANYONE stated Peppers never wanted to play as on OLB in a 3-4 or wouldn't want to....

I just feel he's better suited playing the role of JJ Watt instead of Clay Matthews at this point in his career is all.

It would almost be cost prohibitive to play a 3-4 and have Peppers play DE as you could almost sign an UFA and pay them to seal off the corner on one side in the system. Its almost the style DE DJ had in his 4-3 where he had DT type guys playing DE.

I think Peppers would do well in a 3-4 as DE- as he may compare favorably to Watt at that position.

Regardless the Bears COULD have a descent starting point to switch to a 3-4 with Peppers/Melton at DEs to go along with SMC as an OLB. The rest of the front 7 is totally up for debate however.

I do think our S would have a lot of issues in a 3-4 simply because they're not fast at all....they'd be ask to cover more than sit in a soft cover like they do now.

Regarding Peppers, remember Richard Seymour as a Pat. Dude was a beast. Pep could thrive. Briggs and Url would be inside. Mcclellin outside. Melton and Wootton would be good ends. Just need a Raji or Wilfork type of player and another OLB. As I stated earlier, look how fast the Colts changed over this season. It can be done easily with our personnel.

I think you got it backwards, in regards to Peppers. I remember the word on the street about him is that he wanted to play in a 3-4 system as an OLB so it would be easier for him to rush the passer. New England wanted him real bad. The only reason he chose Chicago is because of the $$$$$.

Even so, at his current age, he probably wouldn't be the greatest OLB that he could have been 3-4 years ago. Considering you'd have McClellin already as the designated pass rushing OLB, you wouldn't need two. The other guy is more responsible for covering the TE, and that wouldn't be something you'd want Peppers to do. Had Peppers been in a 3-4 during his prime, he would have played the role McClellin is suited to play. Fortunately, he's big enough to be a DE in either scheme.

You're right.

I would say no to Kelly. #1 Cutler isn't RGIII like, in his ability to run a spread option at the NFL level, and #2 I worry about guys that have never coached anything at the NFL level. There is a huge risk to take on Kelly that could fall flat on its face quickly, to any team that hires him.

My list of potential coaches, assuming Lovie is gone are as follows..

1- Sean Payton

Dur. Sort of a no brainer here if you can get him, which is highly unlikely. I'd be on his front lawn with a semi load, filled with bags of cash, if he were ever to entertain the idea of leaving New Orleans. I think his contract situation is more of a formality and will get taken care of in short order. Though it is fun to dream :)

2- Bruce Arians

What he's done in Indianapolis is remarkable. Granted, the schedule hasn't been the most difficult, he's got that offense #7 overall in the NFL, with a rookie quarterback that's been very up and down all year. He hasn't even completed 56% of his passes.. That's saying something. Arians has a lot of experience being on the sidelines at the NFL level. He had a good offense in Pittsburgh before he left, I think he could turn this franchise around to a more offensive oriented team, like it should be.

3- Mike Holmgren

He might even be my #2 option if he hadn't already retired once before. It's also unknown whether a guy like Holmgren would demand power over personnel decisions, which would obviously be a major no-no for Phil. Assuming that's not the case, how could you not like Mike Holmgren? Who takes Seattle to a Superbowl, honestly? The guy is a hell of a coach, and he knows how to teach offense. If you brought him in here I guarantee you the offense would run smoother.

4- Greg Roman

Currently the offensive coordinator for the 49'ers. As I've mentioned in other posts, the 49'ers run some of the most creative run sets that an NFL team has seen in a while. Of course, the 49'ers offensive line doesn't come in a package deal (Wish it did) but you get the guy that knows how to design these plays. He'd be a risk, just like the others I'm about to mention, in that he's one of the hot names being tossed around, and a lot of times, you can't really trust that.

5- Rob Chudzinski

Another offensive coordinator. We seem to be establishing a theme here. He really got the whole spread option, NFL stuff, going again with Cam Newton. He was more of a hot name last year, but he also was responsible for making the Browns offense relevant a couple of years ago to, when they were 8th overall.

6- Bill Obrien

Anytime you have a disciple of Bill Belichick, you must proceed with caution. Everybody that becomes a Head coach, after working with Bill Belichick, has failed miserably, which is why he's at the bottom of my list. I do like how he runs an offense though. He likes to run a lot of two TE sets. We'd obviously need to find someone that can catch a pass though before we start actually using them.

I'm surprised Mike Zimmer or Dirk Koetter didn't make your list.