Bears and Lovie Smith's staff

adam

What should the Bears do with Lovie Smith and Co?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bears make the playoffs?

• Retain staff regardless of outcome
    • Retain staff only with at least one playoff win
    • Fire staff with Wild Card loss
    • Fire staff regardless of outcome
    • Other
  2. 2. If the Bears finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs?

• Retain staff due to "winning record"
    • Fire staff for missing the playoffs
    • Other
  3. 3. If the Bears finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs?

• Retain staff for not having a "losing season"
    • Fire staff for missing the playoffs
    • Other

This is in regards to next year. What would you guys like to see based on the possible outcomes to this season. I know some of you have said that you would take a wait and see approach. So here are the options. Please explain your votes and "other" choices.

The only way I believe the Bears should retain Lovie and Co. is if we get hot and win the last 2 and at least the Wild Card game. The Wild Card game will more than likely be against Green Bay, which to me would make up for some of the follies this season. I would still want some changes (Tice, etc), but this would at least show me that they were capable of winning some big games.

If we miss the playoffs, and after 2 years of starting 14-4, I can't see how they could retain Smith (not that it is not possible).

I went:

1. other - If they make the playoffs, I really need to see how it plays out. Even a run all the way to the SB and losing could still want me firing them. Also, losing in round 1, depending on how could make me re-think and want to keep. It just depends on what actually happens. But, per below...if they don't make the playoffs...guarantee oust.

2. Fire

3. Fire

This is in regards to next year. What would you guys like to see based on the possible outcomes to this season. I know some of you have said that you would take a wait and see approach. So here are the options. Please explain your votes and "other" choices.

The only way I believe the Bears should retain Lovie and Co. is if we get hot and win the last 2 and at least the Wild Card game. The Wild Card game will more than likely be against Green Bay, which to me would make up for some of the follies this season. I would still want some changes (Tice, etc), but this would at least show me that they were capable of winning some big games.

If we miss the playoffs, and after 2 years of starting 14-4, I can't see how they could retain Smith (not that it is not possible).

Simply put, I'd have a hard time sticking with Lovie for .500 or less this season. ANYTHING above that would need to be considered. Example: if the team comes out flat for the final two games of the regular season (regardless of wins or not) I would be hard pressed to support Lovie. If they go in as barn burners and excel these last two games (and make the playoffs) I would hard pressed NOT to keep him.

Other

Fire

Fire

The only way I think Lovie should be given a new contract is if he takes the team to the SB again. This is one of those trump cards all coaches get to use, and I believe it has merit regardless of whether or not the team wins the big game.

I am sort of surprised at #1. If they make the playoffs, it is hard to not consider the season a success. If we do end up 10-6, there is a very high probability that we will play at GB. To me, that is the deciding moment. If we can somehow beat GB in GB after this type of season, you have to give someone credit for that. To me, that is a double win, a playoff win and a GB playoff loss.

However, any other outcome should result in the firing of Lovie Smith.

I am sort of surprised at #1. If they make the playoffs, it is hard to not consider the season a success. If we do end up 10-6, there is a very high probability that we will play at GB. To me, that is the deciding moment. If we can somehow beat GB in GB after this type of season, you have to give someone credit for that. To me, that is a double win, a playoff win and a GB playoff loss.

However, any other outcome should result in the firing of Lovie Smith.

If the Bears go 8-8 or 10-6 really doesn't matter to me. Either you think Lovie will get the team to a Super Bowl win or not. If he is that guy, then you keep him at 8-8. If he's not, you fire him even if the team makes it to the championship game.

After 9 years, I just don't think he is the guy that can put it all together as a team.

If the Bears go 8-8 or 10-6 really doesn't matter to me. Either you think Lovie will get the team to a Super Bowl win or not. If he is that guy, then you keep him at 8-8. If he's not, you fire him even if the team makes it to the championship game.

After 9 years, I just don't think he is the guy that can put it all together as a team.

Exactly my feelings, we are not getting better and another year under Lovie and Co will reap more of the same.

Come on Emery, let's get some new blood and move to the next level!

This won't be an easy game. The cards are useless. The Lions can put up points and are trying to have Megatron break records. Also, w/o a real RB, our job got tougher. For the Lions, they are really playing for nothing. They can throw everything at us with abaonon.

We should win...but wouldn't KO'ing the Bears out of the playoffs make their season?

Lovie is back. The 5-9 Cardinals had a good D that is the Bears weakness, and now they face the 4-11 lions. they are potent but, still 4-11 see you next season lovie

This won't be an easy game. The cards are useless. The Lions can put up points and are trying to have Megatron break records. Also, w/o a real RB, our job got tougher. For the Lions, they are really playing for nothing. They can throw everything at us with abaonon.

We should win...but wouldn't KO'ing the Bears out of the playoffs make their season?

In a way, Detroit is playing for a lot. They are currently drafting 5th. With a loss they can pick anywhere between 3rd and 5th, but with a win, they could drop all the way to 9th due to their Strength of Schedule. That is a huge drop off in terms of talent. Not that you play to lose, but you may see a different team out there. Also, I don't know if there are any other records in sight for Megatron.

Megatron is looking to surpass the 2000 mark...

In a way, Detroit is playing for a lot. They are currently drafting 5th. With a loss they can pick anywhere between 3rd and 5th, but with a win, they could drop all the way to 9th due to their Strength of Schedule. That is a huge drop off in terms of talent. Not that you play to lose, but you may see a different team out there. Also, I don't know if there are any other records in sight for Megatron.

It is more about Megatron blowing away Rice's record then anything else. In terms of how to play, players don't not play because of draft pick. No player would say that they do that. Players might give up due to frustration but I got a feeling the Lions don't like the Bears and will show up to play.