Bears are going to have Salary Cap room

GakMan23

I tweeted his agent for the latest update on him. Everything I read leads me to believe he'll be back at some point next year, very possibly the beginning of the year.

Even if he's lost a step he'll be an upgrade over Hester.

That's only because of how bad Hester was. Knox 1-2 steps slower isn't that great of a WR. The thing that made him a threat was that he could outrun people to get open deep.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's only because of how bad Hester was. Knox 1-2 steps slower isn't that great of a WR. The thing that made him a threat was that he could outrun people to get open deep.

I totally agree. Knox became attractive at the Combine because of his 40 time. The other thing we must consider is that Knox like Hester is not the most disciplined route runner. The positive in that regard is that the overrated WR coach Drake will be gone. The 2 current best WRs on this team he can't take credit for because Marshall was already developed as a true #1 and Jeffrey was a blue chip talent at So Carolina.

Balta I know youre over on the soxtalk board but I'll post this over here for those that aren't

There's a well respected trainer or doctor or something along those lines that posts over on soxtalk, I asked him about the Knox injury and this was his response.

After a spinal fusion, speed will not be an issue. It will not effect his physical abilities at all. It's going to be a confidence issue with getting hit and twisted around. A fracture in the vertebrae with no residual neurologic effects it not a big issue. The only way it will effect his physical performance is if there are continued neurologic effects.

So losing a step or 2 shouldn't be an issue.

No particular rumor, but another LT who stands a good chance of becoming a free agent this year is Saints LT Jermon Bushrod. The Saints are almost $20 million over the cap, Bushrod will be unrestricted, and the Franchise tag for OL is supposed to be just under $10 million.

Exactly. He is one of the 6 I mentioned- Bushrod, Long, Clady, Beatty, Albert, and Vollmer. If they don't sign one of those, I'd be highly disappointed. Consider that guys like Lewan, Fisher, Fluker, Aboushi, etc will be in the draft, they need 1/6 UFA's and 1 OT in the draft.

No particular rumor, but another LT who stands a good chance of becoming a free agent this year is Saints LT Jermon Bushrod. The Saints are almost $20 million over the cap, Bushrod will be unrestricted, and the Franchise tag for OL is supposed to be just under $10 million.

It's funny that Emery brought up Pff in his press conference and in looking for the top OTs in the game I found this from pff

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/...ensive-tackles/

Which has Jermon Bushrod as having the 8th worst pass block efficiency.

So he doesn't sound like a guy Emery would target.

Ryan Clady ranked 2nd and Jake Long ranked 7th , in what was considered a down year for him, if one of those guys are available, they gotta be the #1 target.

It's funny that Emery brought up Pff in his press conference and in looking for the top OTs in the game I found this from pff

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/...ensive-tackles/

Which has Jermon Bushrod as having the 8th worst pass block efficiency.

So he doesn't sound like a guy Emery would target.

Ryan Clady ranked 2nd and Jake Long ranked 7th , in what was considered a down year for him, if one of those guys are available, they gotta be the #1 target.

I didn't hear PFF. I heard Stats Inc.

Regardless, no way Clady leaves.

I didn't hear PFF. I heard Stats Inc.

Regardless, no way Clady leaves.

i could be wrong about the PFF mention, I haven't seen or heard the conference but I could have sworn someone mentioned him "giving a shout out to pff"

But ya, I agree no chance Clady leaves, Long has got to be #1 on the Bears list. If they really have the money to "do whatever they want" he's the guy I want.

EDIT- Ya Bowling mentioned his "shout out" to PFF.

Yeah, Emery mentioned both STATS inc. and PFF as websites he uses often to give him an unbiased view about a player's performance. He said that he met with some of the programmers there that are responsible for putting all this information together. They explained and showed him how they go about viewing tape and how everything is graded out, so he knows exactly what's being evaluated.

Exactly. He is one of the 6 I mentioned- Bushrod, Long, Clady, Beatty, Albert, and Vollmer. If they don't sign one of those, I'd be highly disappointed. Consider that guys like Lewan, Fisher, Fluker, Aboushi, etc will be in the draft, they need 1/6 UFA's and 1 OT in the draft.

Furthermore, if you don't check that list I linked up. 5 of the 6 guys you mentioned are in the top 15 of the most efficient pass blockers in the NFL.

Clady #2

Albert and Long tied @ #5

Beatty #11

Vollmer #12

Getting any of those guys will make me a happy panda, and this team so much better.

Yeah, Emery mentioned both STATS inc. and PFF as websites he uses often to give him an unbiased view about a player's performance. He said that he met with some of the programmers there that are responsible for putting all this information together. They explained and showed him how they go about viewing tape and how everything is graded out, so he knows exactly what's being evaluated.

Want to say your posts today have been spot on.

per rotoworld...

The Palm Beach Post says the franchise tag "seems out of the question" for Dolphins impending unrestricted free agent LT Jake Long.

but then per Dan Pompei via rotoworld...

Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune does not believe the Bears will go after impending free agent LT Jake Long.

It's very difficult to project the market for a formerly elite player who appears to be in his decline phase at age 27. Pompei suggests that Long will command "somewhere in the vicinity of $11 million a year, and a monster signing bonus." The Bears are desperate for help keeping Jay Cutler upright, but they don't have the cap space for that.

That certainly conflicts with the subtitle of the thread.

Like i said. He's the wild card in all this. If he can return fully healthy. Him, marshall and Jeffrey could be a hell of a trio. Add in bennett if we resign him. Lots to look forward to. Unfortunately to this point no one has said much about him. So hard to predict on all this. I know one thing for sure. Its gonna be 1 busy off season lol. Maybe y'all can keep me sane or at least amused if i remember this board right lol

From what I heard, he is still having problems walking let alone ever play again. It would be nice, but as I said last year, dont think he will ever play again.

I am not sure that I would want him that bad if he didn't have the injury problems, he had some real issues with catching and running routes at times....

I will always go back to Hester and say what an excellent example of a how many year experiment that never produced a good WR while passing on FA and draft picks which might have made the difference.

Let's pick up at least one FA or get a good draft pick to go along with Brandon and Alson and sweep out some of the old guard who led us to nowhere over the last few years.

I am not sure that I would want him that bad if he didn't have the injury problems, he had some real issues with catching and running routes at times....

I will always go back to Hester and say what an excellent example of a how many year experiment that never produced a good WR while passing on FA and draft picks which might have made the difference.

Let's pick up at least one FA or get a good draft pick to go along with Brandon and Alson and sweep out some of the old guard who led us to nowhere over the last few years.

With Knox's speed, if he didn't have issues with catching and running routes...he'd be an MVP caliber player.

His speed makes up for some of the other deficiences. Or at least it did. If that's all your #1 WR has, then you have a pretty darn weak WR corps, but that's no longer the case for the Bears. A 4th WR who basically gives you "Speed and isn't guaranteed to drop the ball when you tell him to run" is pretty useful when Brandon Marshall chews up 100 receptions a year.

I'd keep Melton, Roach, Spencer, McCown, Hayden, Hayes, Bowman, and Scott.

Give Gould a 2-3 year extension; same with Marshall. Restructure Tillman and Peppers.

your right on with that, our space wont be that great after Melton is signed , he wants big money and will get some of it. you have to leave some money for rookies, probably enough to sign one good player, and a couple of 2nd tier ones.

your right on with that, our space wont be that great after Melton is signed , he wants big money and will get some of it. you have to leave some money for rookies, probably enough to sign one good player, and a couple of 2nd tier ones.

The conclusion one might draw from this statement is...it may be in the Bears' interest to let Henry Melton walk and have cap space to use on the O-Line.