Bears are going to have Salary Cap room

GakMan23

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you prefer: A stud LT for >$10 million and losing Melton, or an average LT and keeping Melton?

Personally i don't think ur gonna find a stud LT available out there that commands more than $10 million. Those guys never see FA anymore. And i definitely don't want to lose Melton at all

Personally i don't think ur gonna find a stud LT available out there that commands more than $10 million. Those guys never see FA anymore. And i definitely don't want to lose Melton at all

But if the Bears are sitting on $15-20 million in cap space, $5 million is held for the draft, and you are forced to spend $10 million on Jake Long, that simply does not leave enough space for both Melton and the remainder of a roster.

That's the point I'm trying to stress here. The Bears might be able to restructure someone like Peppers or Cutler and come up with extra space, but if the numbers for a top flight LT are ~$10 million (and it will be), then there's a decent chance that your top flight LT means you have to let Melton go.

But if the Bears are sitting on $15-20 million in cap space, $5 million is held for the draft, and you are forced to spend $10 million on Jake Long, that simply does not leave enough space for both Melton and the remainder of a roster.

That's the point I'm trying to stress here. The Bears might be able to restructure someone like Peppers or Cutler and come up with extra space, but if the numbers for a top flight LT are ~$10 million (and it will be), then there's a decent chance that your top flight LT means you have to let Melton go.

i have not followed long's career but IF he is young enough (isn't he still in his 20's?) and if there are no INJURY issues and he grades out top notch i would give him the keys to the ferrari any-day-of-the-week before a defensive tackle.

to me that is a no brainer. the position we are in right now on the draft board dictates that unless you want to give up most of your draft we will not be drafting in the top 5 where the primo LT's are. so for me i take that in-his-prime free agent top player at LT and draft his replacement who would need some time to develop in a lower round over the next 3 years. that way we have a top LT and can groom someone with no urgency 2-4 years to replace him.

i ALSO draft in the 1st-3rd round a killer guard or center. this is a MUST do. we need some YOUNG real quality talent in the middle of our OL. that is not a luxury it is a critical need right now. we then have carimi to fight for the RT spot or this scott guy. then do it again next draft.

if we picked up a quality guard or center in rounds 1-3 we can go after that defensive player if we have to let melton go.

I prefer to live in fantasy world and just have both.

However you're absolutely right and I'd rather they bring back Melton than sign Jake Long.

I prefer to live in fantasy world and just have both.

However you're absolutely right and I'd rather they bring back Melton than sign Jake Long.

Honestly i think they can do both. It all comes down how the deal is structured. There so many ways to structure a contract that doesnt kill the cap. And i have 1 question about Long. Why is he hitting the market. Stud LT's never hit FA anymore. Yes he was a stud prior to his injury last yr. Personally it all sound's to good to be true so pardon me for being a skeptic right now on him.

Honestly i think they can do both. It all comes down how the deal is structured. There so many ways to structure a contract that doesnt kill the cap. And i have 1 question about Long. Why is he hitting the market. Stud LT's never hit FA anymore. Yes he was a stud prior to his injury last yr. Personally it all sound's to good to be true so pardon me for being a skeptic right now on him.

They may very well be able to do both...particularly if they restructure a few other people...but if that's the case, that'll be about the end of the Bears offseason other than the draft. They're not going to be bringing in an all pro TE along with those 2, and they may find themselves unable to add additional depth along the O-line beyond the draft.

I've been hearing people (not on here) mention the name Mike Wallace as a dark horse FA target because of what Emery has mentioned about a guy with some speed. Not sure I buy into that, although that would be a pretty scary wide receiving lineup to pair him next to Jeffery and Marshall. There will be another receiver added to the roster before the end of the offseason. A cheaper option in free agency could be someone like Darius Heyward Bey, who might become a cap causality in Oakland.

They may very well be able to do both...particularly if they restructure a few other people...but if that's the case, that'll be about the end of the Bears offseason other than the draft. They're not going to be bringing in an all pro TE along with those 2, and they may find themselves unable to add additional depth along the O-line beyond the draft.

1st off where is this all pro TE you speak of. I just did some research and Long will want a deal similar to Joe Thomas(7 yrs $84 mil with $44 mil gtd) and i start to wonder is Long worth that much $$ considering the health issues. Hes missed ² games in 2010 and 4 games in both 2011 and 2012. All that being added up and for me hes not worth all that $$ if he brings down that price then fibe lets talk. Also im hearing from several different places we will look to get Tyler Eifert with the 20t pick. Please don't take this like i just wabt to completely ignore tge oline all together just wondering simply if Long is really worth all that

I've been hearing people (not on here) mention the name Mike Wallace as a dark horse FA target because of what Emery has mentioned about a guy with some speed. Not sure I buy into that, although that would be a pretty scary wide receiving lineup to pair him next to Jeffery and Marshall. There will be another receiver added to the roster before the end of the offseason. A cheaper option in free agency could be someone like Darius Heyward Bey, who might become a cap causality in Oakland.

I personally don't see Mike Wallace coming aboard cuz he has said he wants fitz type contract. However just think if we could grab him and get Bruce Arians as the HC. Oh boy the possibilities lol

That all sounds gravy to me. An all pro TE isn't needed, I'll take a 4th round TE and Evan Rodriguez. If they add Long and draft an O-lineman in the first or 2nd they won't really need that much more depth beyond just that.