Yes Virginia! There is a Santa Claus!!!!

madlithuanian

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at us! Acting like a real football franchise! I'm as giddy as a 6 year old on Christmas morning! But for me real age bracket (42), I've already enjoyed a glass of Lagavulin single malt to celebrate the new year!

A happy day for sure once verified, I will feel much better after the official releases are out and Lovie's departure is definitively verified.

Let's get someone in to upgrade the offence a bit and give a more modern overall approach. Let's get back to the Super Bowl!

A happy day for sure once verified, I will feel much better after the official releases are out and Lovie's departure is definitively verified.

Let's get someone in to upgrade the offence a bit and give a more modern overall approach. Let's get back to the Super Bowl!

Is this official enough:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...ab-51c753ac5fd6

We'll, it's a sad day. And to revel in it continues the trend of poor fansmanship.

But you guys got what you wanted. And now I guess we'll see what a team in "rebuilding" mode looks like.

I guess being a "fan" is being happy with losing, not making the Super Bowl or playoffs, etc....

You seem to think you hold the definition of what a fan is, to me a fan is someone who wants their team to win and be successful.

Now we have something to look forward to rather than the "same old same old."

Real fans want to win.

I've bid the man thanks, and am ready to move on. I love the Bears, not an individual HC that couldn't get the job done. In the pantheon of Bears coaches, he's below Papa Bear and Ditka. They brought us championships, Smith brought us D and wins. But not the big wins. I hope the new guy exceeds Papa and Ditka...

I don't believe there's a soul on here that isn't aware of the idea we will be in some form of re-build. It was going to happen with or without Smith anyway.

If you are looking for a glowing review of his tenure in Chicago and time to grieve, you may not want to read posts today! I respect your steadfast loyalty to Smith Alsaka. But today may not be the day to call everyone out that simply disagrees with you on that.

I want what's best for the Bears. It appears Phil Emery and George McCaskey are in agreement with a vast majority of fans. I want championships. Not almosts... We may not get as good of a HC in our next one. But we may also get a hall of famer. Successful people and businesses, in order to have return, must take risk. I embrace it.

Bear down Chicago Bears. Make every play lead the way to victory...

The first play has been made.

Bear down.

:dabears

:cheers

We'll, it's a sad day. And to revel in it continues the trend of poor fansmanship.

But you guys got what you wanted. And now I guess we'll see what a team in "rebuilding" mode looks like.

Great post MadLith, I agree with much of what you say.

I feel we have a good base to build on, we certainly are not in a position to have to clear out the entire roster but the roster does need to be carefully considered, with the dead wood cleared away and the solid players kept on with new blood brought in to get us up to speed in some areas.

I certainly feel much more optimistic with a new head coach and Emery in the lead to take us to the next level!

:cheers Thanks.

I agree. This is really a marquee job in so many ways. If Emery is worth his weight, he'll make the transition from old to young as seemless as possible. He needs to strike gold in the draft. Now, his hands won't be cuffed by the previous scouting regime or coaching staff. But, he will be judged by his success and failure at this point on. This is a long term project, but can reap success early if done right.

Emery appears to be a smart football man. I eagerly await what he does!

Great post MadLith, I agree with much of what you say.

I feel we have a good base to build on, we certainly are not in a position to have to clear out the entire roster but the roster does need to be carefully considered, with the dead wood cleared away and the solid players kept on with new blood brought in to get us up to speed in some areas.

I certainly feel much more optimistic with a new head coach and Emery in the lead to take us to the next level!

Ah, one fan telling another how to be a fan. It happened all day yesterday on twitter over the Bears and Packers, who should Bears' fans want to win either game, and so on. Just stop. Let those happy over Lovie's firing be happy and have whatever mindset you'd like.

I'm hoping Emery finds a great offensive head coach, whether it's McCoy (I'm not a fan), Koetter, Gruden, Reid, or Arians. He had a decent FA period last year and a bad draft, so hopefully firing Lovie will be a move we can all look back on in 4 years and say "awesome move, Phil."

It's good to finally see a McCaskey who gives a damn, also.

I've bid the man thanks, and am ready to move on. I love the Bears, not an individual HC that couldn't get the job done. In the pantheon of Bears coaches, he's below Papa Bear and Ditka. They brought us championships, Smith brought us D and wins. But not the big wins. I hope the new guy exceeds Papa and Ditka...

I don't believe there's a soul on here that isn't aware of the idea we will be in some form of re-build. It was going to happen with or without Smith anyway.

If you are looking for a glowing review of his tenure in Chicago and time to grieve, you may not want to read posts today! I respect your steadfast loyalty to Smith Alsaka. But today may not be the day to call everyone out that simply disagrees with you on that.

I want what's best for the Bears. It appears Phil Emery and George McCaskey are in agreement with a vast majority of fans. I want championships. Not almosts... We may not get as good of a HC in our next one. But we may also get a hall of famer. Successful people and businesses, in order to have return, must take risk. I embrace it.

Bear down.

Ditto that Madlith!

To me most decent coaches could've done what Lovie did with these players over his tenure. Any defense, with players like Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, and Tillman would be good. Lovie gets some credit, but not all of it. Tillman alone accounted for most of "Lovie's ball hawking defense" as someone pointed out recently.

Every year it seemed like we never lived up to expectations. This year as well, we had a top 5 defense and special teams, and an offense with Cutler, Marshall, and Forte, and we couldn't get it done.

The Super Bowl loss was a missed opportunity as was the NFC Championship as home.

Lovie gets some credit, but not all of it. Tillman alone accounted for most of "Lovie's ball hawking defense" as someone pointed out recently.

How do you account for Jennings and his improvement? How about the play of Wright and Conte this year? Granted Urlacher arrived before Smith but he was a Safety, before he was an LB. And Briggs plays better because of Urlacher. Not because he is a "stand alone" great LB. Yes Peppers is a great player, but he thrived as pass rushing DE. Which is a big piece of the "Lovie 2". I think Lovie deserved a lot more credit than "some".

Every year it seemed like we never lived up to expectations. This year as well, we had a top 5 defense and special teams, and an offense with Cutler, Marshall, and Forte, and we couldn't get it done.

I am reserving judgement but I think Cutler has reached his plateau. He has a strong arm and great running ability but not an "elite" mind when it comes to making decisions. I hope to be wrong about him, but only time will tell.

I want the Bears to be a winner and bring home SB Titles. That's reality is that hasn't nor would it happen under Lovie. The body of work proves that change needed to happen. We want whats best for the team we want success, we've tasted very little of that in the 9 years with Smith. It is time to move on. We are happy not out of hatred for Lovie, or anyone on his staff, it's out of being sick of losing and not seeing things improve. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. We are looking for a different result so it's time to do something different.

Time to build a champion this Offseason.

Objective 1- Hire new head coach

Objective 2- Fix Offensive Line (draft and free agency)

Objective 3- Find a tight end who can block and catch

Objective 4- Time to start re-stocking the defense (need to get younger!)

Trivia question, has a head coach ever won a super bowl in their first year with a team?

Bear down.

Ditto 100%.

Peace :dabears

not an individual HC that couldn't get the job done.

You've made that abundantly clear for many years.

So now you're telling me how to express myself? Not to "read posts" but instead stand in the lemming line and revel in the change that was made today? What happened to not telling others how to be fans? Your opinion is a safe one, as it is in the apparent majority. And to suggest for me to not "call everyone out" is kinda sad of you. I thought you said you knew me better. I understand and appreciate adversity, not thrive in it. I'm a Democrat in a state that brought you Sarah Palin for pete's sake. I don't like what I see and I'm gonna tell it like it is. At the same time it would be pointless for me to waste the last day of 2012 trying to counter you and all the other Lovie haters.

I want what's best for the Bears.

As do I. As do I. I feel next year won't be the "best". I'll approach it with the angle as you have for the last 8 or 9 years, with guarded optimism.

So now you're telling me how to express myself? Not to "read posts" but instead stand in the lemming line and revel in the change that was made today? What happened to not telling others how to be fans? Your opinion is a safe one, as it is in the apparent majority. And to suggest for me to not "call everyone out" is kinda sad of you. I thought you said you knew me better. I understand and appreciate adversity, not thrive in it. I'm a Democrat in a state that brought you Sarah Palin for pete's sake. I don't like what I see and I'm gonna tell it like it is. At the same time it would be pointless for me to waste the last day of 2012 trying to counter you and all the other Lovie haters.

I actually like Lovie Smith but I felt it was time to move on. I compare him to Doug Collins. He was good at getting us from point A to point B. We need a coach who can get us to point C (a Superbowl championship).

I actually like Lovie Smith but I felt it was time to move on. I compare him to Doug Collins. He was good at getting us from point A to point B. We need a coach who can get us to point C (a Superbowl championship).

This type of critique is fair. I'll hope the next choice can make it to "point C" but will be the first to say "I told you so".

Happy New Year Connor. :drink

Gruden was able to do what Dungy was not. He took over a great defensive team and made changes to the offense to make it better, and won a Superbowl the first year. For the people that are looking to hire a proven coach, Gruden should be amongst the top of your list. What gives me pause is what happened afterwards. Gruden got too much power and got too cute with his quarterbacks, thinking he could mold them into All-Stars the way he did with Brett Favre in GB.

Because of what Dungy left him.

Let me start by saying I'm not a big Gruden guy, also not high on Dungy.

That being said, I like to look at it like Dungy had his chances and couldn't get it done.(eerily similar to Lovie) Chuckie went in and made the offense productive, which was got the team over the hump. BTW - the genius behind Tampa's defense was Monty Kiffin, not Tony Dungy.