Will Muschamp

Ed Hochuli 3:16

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any insight on the guy? I'm cluelss on college ball. (Among other things...)

Silvy from ESPN 1000, who is decently well connected with the Bears, reported today that Phil Emery loves Will Muschamp, current Florida HC and former Texas DC, and that he'd be shocked if he wasn't interviewed for the HC job.

Any insight on the guy? I'm cluelss on college ball. (Among other things...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Muschamp

Defensive minded guy, was the Texas D Cord before leaving for Florida. He was next in line for the Texas job once Mack stepped down. He didnt want to wait that long. He has been as Florida for about two or three years can remember..... The guy is an intense type of coach, complete opposite from Lovie. They normally do stil shots of his face when he freaks out...... Great coach, no Head coaching exp in the NFL

Silvy from ESPN 1000, who is decently well connected with the Bears, reported today that Phil Emery loves Will Muschamp, current Florida HC and former Texas DC, and that he'd be shocked if he wasn't interviewed for the HC job.

He is far from my first choice.....

but he'd be the next Ditka as far as emotions go.

I'm intrigued. He's young, talented, great personality, very good defensive mind. Plus, he has a lot of good connections from his collegiate coaching tree. You could also go out and hire a guy like Norv and say...run my offense. I don't cringe at this idea.

The only problem I have with this is you're in the same hand basket you were with Lovie then.

If he finds an offensive guy that finally makes it work in Chicago- they'll be a HC somewhere else before long and then we'll be looking for another OC.

I'd rather have an offensive minded HC this time around seeing we have a Pro Bowl QB, RB and WR.

The only problem I have with this is you're in the same hand basket you were with Lovie then.

If he finds an offensive guy that finally makes it work in Chicago- they'll be a HC somewhere else before long and then we'll be looking for another OC.

I'd rather have an offensive minded HC this time around seeing we have a Pro Bowl QB, RB and WR.

Since Halas retired the Bears have only hired 2 offensive coaches Gibron and Ditka(technically a special teams coach but a former TE in the league) while hiring 5 defensive oriented coaches Dooley,Pardee,Wannstedt,Jauron and Smith. Even though 4 of the 5 made the playoffs only 2 registered playoff wins with Lovie doing it twice reaching the SB once and the conference championship twice while none have matched Ditka's playoff appearances or wins with A SB win and 3 conference championship appearances.

I would prefer an offensive minded coach and hope the Bears kick the tires on Gruden,Billick,Reid,McCoy,K Shanahan and GB OC Tom Clements. The only college coach I would consider is ND's Kelley because his success every where he has been and he has rebuilt programs along the way.

This. No college coaches.

Peace :dabears

Jim Harbaugh San Diego and Stanford

Pete Carroll USC

Greg Shiano Rutgers

Tom Coughlin Boston College

Bobby Ross Ga Tech

Jimmy Johnson Miami

This is just off the top of my head. 2 are currently in the playoffs, 2 have reached the SB and 2 have won multiple SBs. Of these names only Carroll has had HC and coordinator experience in the NFL. Coughlin, Harbaugh and Schiano experience as position coaches.The jury is still out on Schiano since he just completed his first season and still has to acquire more of his type of players but the college coach approach isn't all bad since a lot of teams are using plays that were considered "college plays" like the spread,bubble screen and read option. When Gary Crowton was hired as the Bears OC there was criticism around the league about the Bears having a college offense but, soon after he arrived his WR screens became a part of every teams offense. He also was the one who gave Marcus Robinson a chance and I do believe his receiving yards record was just broken by Marshall.

Jim Harbaugh San Diego and Stanford

Pete Carroll USC

Greg Shiano Rutgers

Tom Coughlin Boston College

Bobby Ross Ga Tech

Jimmy Johnson Miami

This is just off the top of my head. 2 are currently in the playoffs, 2 have reached the SB and 2 have won multiple SBs. Of these names only Carroll has had HC and coordinator experience in the NFL. Coughlin, Harbaugh and Schiano experience as position coaches.The jury is still out on Schiano since he just completed his first season and still has to acquire more of his type of players but the college coach approach isn't all bad since a lot of teams are using plays that were considered "college plays" like the spread,bubble screen and read option. When Gary Crowton was hired as the Bears OC there was criticism around the league about the Bears having a college offense but, soon after he arrived his WR screens became a part of every teams offense. He also was the one who gave Marcus Robinson a chance and I do believe his receiving yards record was just broken by Marshall.

Steve Spurrier

Bobby Petrino

Nick Sabin

Butch Davis

I'm sure I could think of more failures if I wanted to. Carrol failed as a head coach in the NFL and went back to college before having success at Seattle. I have no issues with bringing up college coaches as position coaches. I don't think they should be hired directly into a NFL head coaching position.

Steve Spurrier

Bobby Petrino

Nick Sabin

Butch Davis

I'm sure I could think of more failures if I wanted to. Carrol failed as a head coach in the NFL and went back to college before having success at Seattle. I have no issues with bringing up college coaches as position coaches. I don't think they should be hired directly into a NFL head coaching position.

So...some coaches fail spectacularly, while some go on to success? You'd almost think...it's just like hiring a coordinator. Or an experience retread coach.

/sarcasm.

Anyway, I get the hesitation on hiring a college coach, but I hang it on the guy doing the interview. There are probably some college coaches ready to take the NFL by storm, and others who will completely wash out in a year or two and take the GM with him.

I'm not going to be mad about a college coach hire, any more than with any other position. But either way, unless the GM hires someone with so much experience that he has to give up some power...the GM sinks or swims with this coaching hire. They both get to start a 3 year clock.

So...some coaches fail spectacularly, while some go on to success? You'd almost think...it's just like hiring a coordinator. Or an experience retread coach.

/sarcasm.

Anyway, I get the hesitation on hiring a college coach, but I hang it on the guy doing the interview. There are probably some college coaches ready to take the NFL by storm, and others who will completely wash out in a year or two and take the GM with him.

I'm not going to be mad about a college coach hire, any more than with any other position. But either way, unless the GM hires someone with so much experience that he has to give up some power...the GM sinks or swims with this coaching hire. They both get to start a 3 year clock.

And those four did fail spectacularly as did Pete Carrol his first time in the NFL. Just my opinion - no college coach.

And those four did fail spectacularly as did Pete Carrol his first time in the NFL. Just my opinion - no college coach.

I would prefer Brian Belick, been there, won a super bowl, smart guy. What I most want is Emery to be decisive, not interview 10 people and wait a month. His first request was McCoy from Denver, interview him, sign him and lets move forward. Until (who ever gets here) he does the job, we have no idea how successful that person with be. This all just didnt get decided this weekend, Emery has already put work in on this, and I think he knows what he wants to do, and just want him to get it done, reshape the roster, and lets see what happens next year.

I would prefer Brian Belick, been there, won a super bowl, smart guy. What I most want is Emery to be decisive, not interview 10 people and wait a month. His first request was McCoy from Denver, interview him, sign him and lets move forward. Until (who ever gets here) he does the job, we have no idea how successful that person with be. This all just didnt get decided this weekend, Emery has already put work in on this, and I think he knows what he wants to do, and just want him to get it done, reshape the roster, and lets see what happens next year.

The problem with any assistant on a staff that is in the playoffs is we have to wait until they are out of the playoffs to hire them. If Emery feels likes McCoy is the guy, or any other assistant in the playoffs, I have no issues with waiting.

Butch Davis was an NFL Dline coach for the Cowboys before going back to the college ranks and I do believe he got the new version of the Browns into the playoffs once which is the only time that has happened since they returned as an expansion team in 99. Pete Carroll failed at his first 2 coaching stops before going bac to the college ranks. Spurrier joined a nice list of well respected guys who have failed under Dan Snyder: Schottenheimer,Turner and Gibbs. Shanahan who failed miserably in his first HC job is the first show some promise in DC. This is the same guy who had Cutler as a pup and wound up being let go in favor of a hot assistant. Saban and Petrino quit on their teams and I agree should never have been hired. Lets not forget he was JA's first choice to coach the Bears before he settled on Lovie.

When Pete Carrol failed the 1st time he wasn't coming from the college ranks. He was a pro assistant that failed as a HC, IIRC. It was after that failure that he went into the college ranks.

Butch Davis was an NFL Dline coach for the Cowboys before going back to the college ranks and I do believe he got the new version of the Browns into the playoffs once which is the only time that has happened since they returned as an expansion team in 99. Pete Carroll failed at his first 2 coaching stops before going bac to the college ranks. Spurrier joined a nice list of well respected guys who have failed under Dan Snyder: Schottenheimer,Turner and Gibbs. Shanahan who failed miserably in his first HC job is the first show some promise in DC. This is the same guy who had Cutler as a pup and wound up being let go in favor of a hot assistant. Saban and Petrino quit on their teams and I agree should never have been hired. Lets not forget he was JA's first choice to coach the Bears before he settled on Lovie.

Saban wasn't bad, he just ran back to college. He is an elite coach and I believe (purely a belief) that if he wanted to, he'd be very successful in the pro ranks.