Did Cutler Get Lovie Canned?

Mongo3451

Been doing some thinking about Lovie's dismissal and a thought came to mind...

Cutler has a year left on his contract and I don't think Emery knows what to do with him yet. To start, QB is the most important position in football. If Lovie were to go into next season as coach, with Emery knowing he doesn't know his ass from hole in the ground regarding QB's. How does Emery evaluate Cutler through Tice and Lovie. He's already heard a ton of BS regarding the OL.

Now Emery has the opportunity to bring his guy in to look at Cutler. Trust me, that evaluation will set the franchise forward or back. To me this move was/is great for the future of our team.

Cutler is the one guy that doesn't seem as irritated. Defensive guys are mad...offensive players aren't. Seems like a lot of offensive players were very frustrated. Cutler's quote was telling about the type of guy the Bears should hire as the head coach ("one who can hire good assistants"). I think the Bears would be wise to sign Cutler to a couple year deal (although they could wait a year). Reality is, they should bring in a real good offensive guy and let him work with Jay. Give him 2 years...if it doesn't, our new head coach gets a chance to bring in a new guy as QB (and we kind of start over there).

All you have to do is listen to how the defensive players are reacting. Lovie let the players play. He didn't get in their faces. I rarely saw emotion from him. The players were "comfortable" with him. why is it that players feel that they are exempt from the same workplace stresses that the people that buy tickets endure. There isn't a thing wrong with a little fear for your job or fear of a national audience seeing a coach go chernobyl after a bone head play. Lovie got lovie fired. He picked coordinators that he liked. He wasn't a good evaluator.

All you have to do is listen to how the defensive players are reacting. Lovie let the players play. He didn't get in their faces. I rarely saw emotion from him. The players were "comfortable" with him. why is it that players feel that they are exempt from the same workplace stresses that the people that buy tickets endure. There isn't a thing wrong with a little fear for your job or fear of a national audience seeing a coach go chernobyl after a bone head play. Lovie got lovie fired. He picked coordinators that he liked. He wasn't a good evaluator.

A good boss doesn't need to yell. I don't ever yell at my staff. The reality is the defense loved playing for Lovie and they were very productive under Lovie. Problem is he couldn't get the right guy for the offense.

A good boss doesn't need to yell. I don't ever yell at my staff. The reality is the defense loved playing for Lovie and they were very productive under Lovie. Problem is he couldn't get the right guy for the offense.

I agree. Lovie is a good coach. No debating that but fail to get to playoffs 5 of 6 yrs since SB run. Lost 7 straight to to your rival here in Chicago gets you fired. Hes a good players coach. Players love him cuz hes laid back. Absolutely nothing wrong with that but in Chicago its not about just being competitive. It's about wins in playoffs and Super Bowls. I wish him the best of luck and although i hate seeing him leave i do think it was time

Lovie got Lovie fired. Too many years of inept offense despite enough talent to at least be average. Other teams have Oline problems too, no different from us yet they find ways to put points on the board. As far as yelling at his players, no that's not necessarily needed but this is a passionate game and quite often over the years Lovie has not been good at holding players or his assistants accountable and it showed on the sideline. He only forced accountability when he was on the hot seat the last couple seasons but even then the elite players seemed to be safe from that including Cutler who often needed someone in his face reminding him to take the easy plays and stop forcing the ball upfield. While Bates and Tice have filled that role this year if the HC is not echoing their efforts it won't work.

I have no problem at all with the decision to move on.

Lovie got Lovie fired. Too many years of inept offense despite enough talent to at least be average. Other teams have Oline problems too, no different from us yet they find ways to put points on the board. As far as yelling at his players, no that's not necessarily needed but this is a passionate game and quite often over the years Lovie has not been good at holding players or his assistants accountable and it showed on the sideline. He only forced accountability when he was on the hot seat the last couple seasons but even then the elite players seemed to be safe from that including Cutler who often needed someone in his face reminding him to take the easy plays and stop forcing the ball upfield. While Bates and Tice have filled that role this year if the HC is not echoing their efforts it won't work.

I have no problem at all with the decision to move on.

Lovie got himself fired period. 2 straight years of getting to 7 wins and then collapsing and him not being able to stop the bleeding was one of the deciding factors. The other telling factor to me that his days were numbered was Emery picked a first round draft pick that didn't fit his scheme at all when there was an OT and a DE available that might have served the Bears better. The inability to pick the right OC also was a big factor. Lets face it he didn't have a clue how to go about it and really needed to bring in someone who he could control and no one would come here under those kind of circumstances.Almost every time he was interviewing a new OC he was at the tail end of his contract and no one could feel secure coming here under those conditions.

Let's put it this way...

If Cutler had stepped up and played the way I used to think he was capable of...Lovie Smith would still be the Bears coach.

But...that doesn't excuse the rest. If Lovie Smith had found an OC who could get better out of Cutler, if Lovie Smith had put together a stronger O-line, if Lovie Smith's OC could get playcalls in to Cutler on time...well lots of other things could have saved his job.

Cutler is on the list, but I don't put him that much higher than any other reason.

Let's put it this way...

If Cutler had stepped up and played the way I used to think he was capable of...Lovie Smith would still be the Bears coach.

But...that doesn't excuse the rest. If Lovie Smith had found an OC who could get better out of Cutler, if Lovie Smith had put together a stronger O-line, if Lovie Smith's OC could get playcalls in to Cutler on time...well lots of other things could have saved his job.

Cutler is on the list, but I don't put him that much higher than any other reason.

I count at least 6 dropped touchdown passes this year. If Bennett catches the pass against Seattle, we win that game. If Hester and Jeffrey catch passes against Minnesota, we win that game. Marshall dropped a TD against Green Bay at the beginning of the season that could have changed that game.

Cutler made some big mistakes, but his wide receivers did not help him at times.

Peace :dabears

I count at least 6 dropped touchdown passes this year. If Bennett catches the pass against Seattle, we win that game. If Hester and Jeffrey catch passes against Minnesota, we win that game. Marshall dropped a TD against Green Bay at the beginning of the season that could have changed that game.

Cutler made some big mistakes, but his wide receivers did not help him at times.

Peace :dabears

Great point. Cutler is not all to blame. The defense also failed to get key stops in several games but for most part i give them a pass cuz they played out of their minds most of yr. Here's another thing not mentioned yet. How many players was lovie actually able to get them to get much better. We had a safety merry go round for all 9 yrs. We cant have that. Alot of this blame i put on Angelo still for failing to get players on offensive side. Dude thought hester was #1. Yup that worked out great. Emery did more in his 1 yr to help a qb succeed that Angelo did in hos 10 yrs. That's a joke

Thanks for all the input guys. The reason I brought this up was from an article I read about the coachabilty of Cutler. My true opinion is this. Lovie should have been fired years ago. I still believe him using Ron Turner as his 1st scapegoat was actually when he jumped the shark as our coach. How many years ago was that? That's about 2 years after we started clamoring for OL. That being said, I think Cutler also has coachability or instinct issues that a good coach could have resolved by now. Lovie didn't.

Great point. Cutler is not all to blame. The defense also failed to get key stops in several games but for most part i give them a pass cuz they played out of their minds most of yr. Here's another thing not mentioned yet. How many players was lovie actually able to get them to get much better. We had a safety merry go round for all 9 yrs. We cant have that. Alot of this blame i put on Angelo still for failing to get players on offensive side. Dude thought hester was #1. Yup that worked out great. Emery did more in his 1 yr to help a qb succeed that Angelo did in hos 10 yrs. That's a joke

You make a great point also Smith fate can be directly tied to how JA acquired talent. The one thing that is not being said about Lovie on his defense is how slow some of those players took to develop. Most of the current players started to show promise when Marinelli arrived. Urlacher,Briggs,Tillman and Peppers were already established but,Melton,Wooten,Paea,Idonije,Roach,Jennings,Conte and Wright all started to play better when Marinelli became the DC.Thats why I wouldn't mind him sticking around as long as he decides to attack a little more.

Also the notion that Emery had a bad draft after 1 year is a bit premature.The jury is still out on SMC but you got Jeffrey in round 2 and technically Marshall for a third.We'll have to wait and see on a couple of the DBs but 3 players contributing out of a draft on a regular basis ain't all bad.