New Bears Coach

adam

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, now we're starting to get out of control. Why would Emery even bother interviewing these worthless non-candidates? Mike Singletary would be the worst hire of all time.

I actually like Singletary if the new HC wanted him for the DC/asst HC role. He was not a flop in SF. Look at the team he left Harbaugh. Both sides of the ball are solid. Singletary just had no offensive coordinator. Love love love how he handle Vernon Davis. Davis credits him too...

I actually like Singletary if the new HC wanted him for the DC/asst HC role. He was not a flop in SF. Look at the team he left Harbaugh. Both sides of the ball are solid. Singletary just had no offensive coordinator. Love love love how he handle Vernon Davis. Davis credits him too...

Actually i think u can scratch that idea. Don pompei wrote an article today saying that there is a very good chance that Rod Marinelli returns as the DC

Huh? Wouldn't that mean he was bad, given the talent he had to work with, and what happened immediately after he left? It wasn't until Harbaugh came along that Alex Smith started to "Get it", and it wasn't until Harbaugh came along until the defense started playing the way they should have been playing while Singletary was there. He was horrendous.

Huh? Wouldn't that mean he was bad, given the talent he had to work with, and what happened immediately after he left? It wasn't until Harbaugh came along that Alex Smith started to "Get it", and it wasn't until Harbaugh came along until the defense started playing the way they should have been playing while Singletary was there. He was horrendous.

To be fair, on that defense...they did add Aldon Smith right after Singletary left. That's a pretty big addition. There may have been others I don't recall.

I think what happened with Singletary was very similar to what occured with Lovie. Singletary was very much focused on the defensive scheme and not so much the offense. Harbaugh is more offense.

Alex Smith was drafted during Mike Nolans tenure (where is he now?) and I would beg to differ on the fact that Smith really ever "got it" since now he's not even starting with Harbaugh as the coach.

To be fair, on that defense...they did add Aldon Smith right after Singletary left. That's a pretty big addition. There may have been others I don't recall.

Aldon Smith is great, but he's not worth 7 extra wins. Fact of the matter is, once Harbaugh took over, he was able to get the most out of the talent he had on both sides of the ball, where Singletary didn't do anything but screw it up. He brought in his own offensive ideas and completely resurrected the career of Alex Smith, which help lead them to a 13-3 record in his first season. Singletary had no idea what he was doing.

They were young and on an upswing. I said they needed an OC and they got an offensive coach, OC and drafted offense. Singletary built the base of that team. They still play with the identity he instilled in them. He was not horrendous. Anyway, I'm endorsing him as a DC not HC.

They were young and on an upswing. I said they needed an OC and they got an offensive coach, OC and drafted offense. Singletary built the base of that team. They still play with the identity he instilled in them. He was not horrendous. Anyway, I'm endorsing him as a DC not HC.

Yeah, I'd want no part of Singletary as HC either, but I wouldn't be mad about him as a coordinator option if for some reason the new HC preferred him over Marinelli.

Now up to 13, wow. The names are pretty impressive. This beats what Buffalo did (Doug Marrone 25-25 at Syracuse), ouch.

1. Mike McCoy - Denver OC * (Still in playoffs)

2. Keith Armstrong - Atlanta ST * (Still in playoffs)

3. Mike Sullivan - Tampa OC *

4. Joe DeCamillis - Dallas ST *

5. Tom Clements, Green Bay OC (Still in playoffs)

6. Pete Carmichael, New Orleans OC *

7. Bruce Arians, Indianapolis OC

8. Marc Trestman, Montreal Alouettes HC

9. Rick Dennison, Houston OC (Still in playoffs)

10. Darrell Bevell, Seattle OC (Still in playoffs)

11. Mike Singletary, Minnesota LB's Coach

12. Mike Priefer, Minnesota ST

13. Dave Toub, Chicago ST

I believe this has been discussed before, but this isn't too far from reality. I'm pretty sure that Toub was mentioned to act in the "interim" role had Lovie been excused in the past (last year?). The endorsement for this move was from ownership at the time. Of course the one major difference being Emery wasn't GM then.

And...this sorta plays into Emery's indication to keep as much staff as possible to ride out the remainder of their contracts. If it doesn't work then flush the whole mess and start to officially re-build next year(?)

Out of the guys that are listed, this is just a pure guess, but what this feels like to me is that Phil has a couple of guys in mind already, and is waiting on at least one of them to be eliminated from the playoffs before he can interview them again. So he's just going to go ahead and keep interviewing random candidates as a way to kill time and collect more info on various teams.

Adam Schefter mentioned that Emery has been telling all his candidates that he would like to have at least 2 guys at some point this week as finalists to continue the process, but Schefter also noted that there could be perhaps 1 or 2 guys in the playoffs that he would interview as finalists as well, which brings that number to 3 or 4.

Based on the reports out there, we know Sullivan interviewed with the Bears for at least 6 hours in his visit earlier last week, and we now know that Marc Trestman had an 8 hour presentation to the Bears that, according to John Clayton, impressed. In my opinion, I believe that you should really look out for those two guys in the oncoming days to be named finalists for the job, and then I'd say at least 1 coach from the playoffs would get a look as well to top it off.

1. Sullivan

2. Trestman

3. McCoy/Dennison/Bevell

That's my guess, in no particular order.

I'm glad they are interested in Kelly. He comes off to me like a guy who knows how to handle things. I'm not sure he's going to get the job, but why not interview the guy after what he's been able to do with Notre Dame in short order?

Im biased with kelly however i think he stays at ND at least 1 more yr

There is one guy that is going to be available. He's an awesome motivator. Players excel when they play around him. He has a huge passion for the game. He'd definitely put in the hours needed and you could see the passion on the sidelines. He's had experience with quite a few offenses and adapting to changes needed. The media absolutely loves him, so there wouldn't be the problems with the media Lovie had. He helped lead a team to a national championship.

Yes, Phil Emery's net is so wide, I say he should interview Tim Tebow for the head coaching job. Those who can't play, make great coaches. He excels at every need Emery listed for a coach, and could be had cheaply. There's some outside box thinking right there, lol.