New Bears Coach

adam

I'm glad they are interested in Kelly. He comes off to me like a guy who knows how to handle things. I'm not sure he's going to get the job, but why not interview the guy after what he's been able to do with Notre Dame in short order?

Kelly strikes me as a Coach K type of guy. He works in college because he can rant and rave, turn his face bright red, punish his players with extra laps around the track, hold their scholarships in doubt, but that crap doesn't fly in the pros. And it most certainly doesn't fly with the pampered bunch in Chicago right now. They've been living Club Med for several years now. They will not want a switch to Basic Training.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly strikes me as a Coach K type of guy. He works in college because he can rant and rave, turn his face bright red, punish his players with extra laps around the track, hold their scholarships in doubt, but that crap doesn't fly in the pros. And it most certainly doesn't fly with the pampered bunch in Chicago right now. They've been living Club Med for several years now. They will not want a switch to Basic Training.

Agreed. Not interested.

Peace :dabears

I guess my final thoughts are that I hope it's Arians but I'm going to guess Trestman.

I'd rather not go with Arians as I work with a die hard Steelers fan who is familiar with Arians chucking it A LOT. He won't accept the argument of- "The Steelers lost Arians and they fell a part" largely in part due to Mendenhall not getting back and losing Ben for so many games. I happen to agree with him. I'm also bothered by his health history combined with his age of 60 years old.

I can't say I'm thrilled about the idea of Trestman simply because he's been in another league the past 5 years- regardless of how great his resume/references were prior to going to the CFL. However, if Emery hires Trestman that will have been HIS hire. That is exactly what I wanted in the first place.

With all of this JJ talk of Trestman already "having the job" I don't buy it, but I'm not ignoring it, either. My guess is someone in the Bears organization leaked to JJ or someone close to JJ that Trestman is the front runner. I also feel the Bears are doing their dilligence by waiting until this week to wrap things up as it is 4 more high quality teams that will have staff available to interview/hire. That is if indeed Emery actually hires someone this week and doesn't decide to interview another 10 people.

The way I look at Arians is that he was an offensive coach for PIT in 2005 and 2009. Both years, they won a ring. This year, he's taken an offense led by 5 rookies to the 7th ranked overall offense.

Agreed. I live in the Indy area and Arians is a god around here. The Colts were supposed to be a complete disaster this past season.(Pre-season power rank was 32) Everyone around here are still on cloud nine and full of hope for next season. Anyone in Pittsburgh that says they don't want him back

is delusional...

Agreed. I live in the Indy area and Arians is a god around here. The Colts were supposed to be a complete disaster this past season.(Pre-season power rank was 32) Everyone around here are still on cloud nine and full of hope for next season. Anyone in Pittsburgh that says they don't want him back

is delusional...

I have a friend that's a diehard Steelers fan and he believes arians being let go is the reason they haven't won mor. Also listen to former pit players under arians and most of them were pissed he was let go and most of them say he will succeed anywhere he goes and that he would be a good fit here in Chicago

I think it's going to be Sullivan. Trestman is the cerebral guy that meshes well with Emery, but does he have the upbeat, energetic personality he wants? I've watched a few Mike Sullivan press conferences and he seems like a pretty positive person.

McCoy is exactly the type of personality that would seem to be the perfect fit. I think just because he's my pick it won't happen. It'll be someone we haven't really talked about, which is why I think it's going to be Sullivan.. At least as of this moment.

I see Arians going to San Diego to work with his friend and Chuck Pagano's brother. His health and age are my main concerns. Not saying he would be a bad hire.

I think it's going to be Sullivan. Trestman is the cerebral guy that meshes well with Emery, but does he have the upbeat, energetic personality he wants? I've watched a few Mike Sullivan press conferences and he seems like a pretty positive person.

McCoy is exactly the type of personality that would seem to be the perfect fit. I think just because he's my pick it won't happen. It'll be someone we haven't really talked about, which is why I think it's going to be Sullivan.. At least as of this moment.

I see Arians going to San Diego to work with his friend and Chuck Pagano's brother. His health and age are my main concerns. Not saying he would be a bad hire.

I think Airians goes to San Diego, the new GM is a friend of his. Also I think the final three will be Sullivan, McCoy, or Trestman. They all might turn out to do well, or fail. One way to find out, hire somebody already and lets move forward, while we still have a good pick of other coaches.

I have a friend that's a diehard Steelers fan and he believes arians being let go is the reason they haven't won mor. Also listen to former pit players under arians and most of them were pissed he was let go and most of them say he will succeed anywhere he goes and that he would be a good fit here in Chicago

My friend could beat up your friend.

I would also not be surprised if this was simply a ploy by Kelly to get a raise out of ND.

Ding Ding Ding!!!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...-fighting-irish

I'm not sure why ANYONE would ever leave Notre Dame for ANY job. Think about it. With endorsements Kelly could easily pull down around a cool $100 Mil the next 12-15 years.

WoJo did an article about a month and a half ago and rated the best football jobs out there. He rated the Packers job #1 and Notre Dame somewhere like #4. FYI the Bears weren't in the top 10, but did get honorable mention. I have no idea how he rated his "jobs" but I'm not sure how the ND job isn't as good as any sports job out there in every capacity.

I'd rather not go with Arians as I work with a die hard Steelers fan who is familiar with Arians chucking it A LOT. He won't accept the argument of- "The Steelers lost Arians and they fell a part" largely in part due to Mendenhall not getting back and losing Ben for so many games. I happen to agree with him. I'm also bothered by his health history combined with his age of 60 years old.

I can't say I'm thrilled about the idea of Trestman simply because he's been in another league the past 5 years- regardless of how great his resume/references were prior to going to the CFL. However, if Emery hires Trestman that will have been HIS hire. That is exactly what I wanted in the first place.

With all of this JJ talk of Trestman already "having the job" I don't buy it, but I'm not ignoring it, either. My guess is someone in the Bears organization leaked to JJ or someone close to JJ that Trestman is the front runner. I also feel the Bears are doing their dilligence by waiting until this week to wrap things up as it is 4 more high quality teams that will have staff available to interview/hire. That is if indeed Emery actually hires someone this week and doesn't decide to interview another 10 people.

I don't buy it. There aren't many leaks in Halas Hall this days. I think it was simply Trestman telling a good friend that he had a good interview. Maybe even going as far as saying he was told he'd be brought back.

I'm hoping Flacco leads the game winning drive here so if McCoy is the guy, Emery can hire him without having to wait another month (and potentially passing up on him because it took too long).

Looks like your wish might come true. Manning's INT proved to be the nail in the coffin.

Yeah, a bunch of Manning's throws were dying, you could see he has lost some arm strength. It was an exciting game nonetheless. Glad to see Ray Lewis gets another game.

Now is GB, HOU, and SEA loses, we will have every candidate available other than Armstrong from ATL.

I am not that high on McCoy. If you ask me all he did this year was carry the clipboard and the title of OC in Denver. Payton Manning this year, as he always has done, calls the plays he wants on the field. Who is going to argue with him? I am not sure McCoy would give us what we are looking for. However, needless to say, I could be wrong and if Emery goes that route that is fine by me, not that it matters, LOL.

I am not that high on McCoy. If you ask me all he did this year was carry the clipboard and the title of OC in Denver. Payton Manning this year, as he always has done, calls the plays he wants on the field. Who is going to argue with him? I am not sure McCoy would give us what we are looking for. However, needless to say, I could be wrong and if Emery goes that route that is fine by me, not that it matters, LOL.

Phil Emery- "I'll be making my choice no matter who says wha...wait Pix said that?"

I still wish Greg Roman would have gotten a look from Emery. He was right there with McCoy as one of my favorites going into this process.

Who calls the plays in SF, because it looks like Harbaugh runs the offense? Listening to the commentators, Harbaugh gets most of the credit for the QB development in SF.

I don't have one favorite but I do have several who I think will or should be at the top of the list. Trestman, McCoy, and Arians.

I think Trestman is going to get a second interview. I respect his CFL success a lot more than many here seem to. Even if it's not at the NFL level, though he's proven he can get it done in the NFL too, it's an impressive record. I see a few dismiss this success but IMO for a guy who was successful coaching in the NFL and then take over as HC in a different league, with significantly different rules and lesser talent, and quickly go on to dominate that league tells me he understands how to get the most out of his roster in any situation. He's not just a "this is my system" guy. Even his QB has had his best years after the age of 35 under Trestman.

I look at McCoy and think how in the world did he win a playoff game with Tebow? How did he change his offense so quickly from Orton to Tebow? How did he lose a playoff game with Peyton Manning? (had to say it :) ) I'm not naive to compare those QBs just saying he managed to adapt his offense to dramatically different talent at the QB position over the years and had success. Again, ability to understand your team's stregths and weaknesses as well as matchups against your opponent is something I want in a HC. Never really saw much of that under Lovie for either Offense or Defense. Can we run the ball against the Packers? He, Lovie, is more of a "this-is-my-system guy". For this reason I think McCoy will be near the top of the list.

Arians has had good success at the coordinator level but what he did this past year filling in as a HC taking over a team that wasn't really off to a good start and going on a great run shows a lot of that organizational and leadership ability that you want in a HC.

Some of the other OCs like the Texan's (can't recall his name) ...has a good system but it seems every year once an injury (talking one here like Arians or AJ) hits his roster it seems his offense takes a big step back. From the outside looking in it feels the same as life with Lovie. Can he adapt and/or develop talent? Don't know enough about him or the Texans to be confident in that statement but it feels that way to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off on a coaching tangent for a bit... Speaking of Lovie being a system guy. Who did he develop on his watch before Marinelli came along? Perhaps Briggs. Marinelli failed as a HC but as a DC he has developed Melton to Pro Bowl level, two CBs have developed into Pro Bowl players. For years on this board we lamented the fact we never develop the diamond in the rough into elite talent, which the top teams must do to stay competitive year after year. I see a couple young safeties developing too. Wooton turned the corner too. Marinelli benched Wright last year. Benched Jennings too. Both guys took a step up this year. Haven't seen this on offense (yo Mr. Drake). Perhaps Lance Louis' development under Tice is the closest thing but he's not at an elite level. I think there's something to this and that is why I don't mind Marinelli staying around.