As the Bears Gm I-----

Stinger226

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think he was given a shot at LT in training camp and the Bears just did exactly what the Mayock quote I posted said?

My comment about the lack of opportunity to play LT was actually about Williams. But if you're talking about Carimi, it's probably exactly like what has been posted already. He was never even considered for the LT role, even though he should have been. Damn all the outside scouts. Walter football is wrong every freaking year. The Bears needed multiple positions on the OL for multiple years, and they definitely needed/need a replacement for Webb. Carimi was best suited for it since Williams was never given a real shot after being jerked around.

Carimi may have been projected as a RT, but I still think that after four years as a LT he should have been given a chance there. If not, then growing pains are expected at a "new" position.

My comment about the lack of opportunity to play LT was actually about Williams. But if you're talking about Carimi, it's probably exactly like what has been posted already. He was never even considered for the LT role, even though he should have been. Damn all the outside scouts. Walter football is wrong every freaking year. The Bears needed multiple positions on the OL for multiple years, and they definitely needed/need a replacement for Webb. Carimi was best suited for it since Williams was never given a real shot after being jerked around.

Carimi may have been projected as a RT, but I still think that after four years as a LT he should have been given a chance there. If not, then growing pains are expected at a "new" position.

I've gone through 3 pages of "Gabe Carimi scouting reports" and all but to project him as a RT. Saying he's not quick enough among other things, you can't teach quickness.

I'd rather just get a proven LT while the D is still making things happen.

Nobody said unlimited funds. It's become publicly known the Bears will have a lot of money to spend come March. Melton, Albert, Lichtensteiger, Hartline, and a few of their own FA's isn't out of the question.

I have goggled the Salary cap and the only 3 refers to the cap is 13.3mil,14,4mil and 4.2mil. None of that sounds like enough to me. As I find out more information, I will post it.

I have goggled the Salary cap and the only 3 refers to the cap is 13.3mil,14,4mil and 4.2mil. None of that sounds like enough to me. As I find out more information, I will post it.

I have only seen the 13 million number. With a few other cuts/trades (Davis, Spaeth, Hester, etc), the Bears could save another $2 million bring it their cap space over $15 mil.

It looks like if Melton is re-signed, Urlacher is history. There is not enough big bucks to go around, and I don't see him signing for less money. If he doesn't retire, he will probably end up with NE.

I have only seen the 13 million number. With a few other cuts/trades (Davis, Spaeth, Hester, etc), the Bears could save another $2 million bring it their cap space over $15 mil.

It looks like if Melton is re-signed, Urlacher is history. There is not enough big bucks to go around, and I don't see him signing for less money. If he doesn't retire, he will probably end up with NE.

And with the cutting of Carimi, restructuring of Peppers and Tillman, extending of Jennings and Marshall, + the guarantees and SB's of Melton, Albert, Hartline, and Lichtensteiger, that $15m number means nothing right now.

And with the cutting of Carimi, restructuring of Peppers and Tillman, extending of Jennings and Marshall, + the guarantees and SB's of Melton, Albert, Hartline, and Lichtensteiger, that $15m number means nothing right now.

Restructuring pepp is not a good idea in long run. For short term(this yr) it would wotk but thrn its hell on cap later and makes it almost impossible to cut him at a later date if need arises. I pointed out all the #s but obviously u neglected that post

I believe Carimi was given some looks at LT early on, likely minicamps and the Bear quickly came to the decision that he's a RT. That is likely what they drafted him for anyway so no big deal in terms of intentions. Reading the scouting reports everything fits IMO. Carimi is a guy who lacks quickness but could rely on his strength to handle pass rushers. Take away one full offseason of weight training and replace it with knee injury rehab that goes nearly into training camp and it's clear he did not have his usual functional strength. That matches what I saw...a guy who couldn't get the push he did as a rookie in his first couple games, and one who was pushed all over the field by every DE he faced. I'm not quitting on the guy yet but he needs a full offseason of workouts to get his strength back.

In the meantime we need to go grab the best option at OT we can this offseason and put an end to this issue (no pun intended) at least for one side of our Oline. Bring back Jonathan Scott and let the 3 guys (Webb, Carimi, Scott) fight it out for the final two roster spots.

First to resign all the players we want back and roster spots that will eat up 10 mil. then you have to do the things you suggest to get some money free, no way we have enough to buy Albert at possible 12 mil. do the math, or we can pretend because it sounds better. I like your ideas just dont think its realistic

Restructuring pepp is not a good idea in long run. For short term(this yr) it would wotk but thrn its hell on cap later and makes it almost impossible to cut him at a later date if need arises. I pointed out all the #s but obviously u neglected that post

Your post said this is how the Steelers got in trouble. They got in trouble because they did this to many players. The Bears would be doing it to one.

Last year, nobody thought the Bears had much money left after trading for Marshall. Instead, they also signed Weems, Costanzo, Rachal, Campbell, etc. Cliff Stein knows how to manuveur around the rules in terms of paying guys more in the future than right away, giving bigger SB's, more guaranteed $ if needed, and so on.

You guys don't have to believe me. In the end, maybe they will sign all of my guys. Maybe they won't.

Your post said this is how the Steelers got in trouble. They got in trouble because they did this to many players. The Bears would be doing it to one.

Last year, nobody thought the Bears had much money left after trading for Marshall. Instead, they also signed Weems, Costanzo, Rachal, Campbell, etc. Cliff Stein knows how to manuveur around the rules in terms of paying guys more in the future than right away, giving bigger SB's, more guaranteed $ if needed, and so on.

You guys don't have to believe me. In the end, maybe they will sign all of my guys. Maybe they won't.

I know how steelers got killed trust me but my point remains the same on peppers. By restructuring it helps out this yr but also gives him bigger cap hits in remaining yrs and generally u give the guy a signing bonus which gets tacked on to remaining yrs on deal and then that $$ is tied into gtd $$ so if he drops off significantly and u need to get rid of him it makes it that much more difficult to cut him due to the cap hit. I completely understand why u want to do this but keep in mind although his cap hit is high if his play drops off after this yr u can easily cut him cuz almost all gtd $$ has been pd