Peppers

jason

Because some have mentioned releasing him, I had the thought, "What would the Bears get for him in trade?"

I'm not sure I would do it, but if a team were willing to give a 1st and a 2nd, or something like that, I might do it as the Bears GM.

Because some have mentioned releasing him, I had the thought, "What would the Bears get for him in trade?"

I'm not sure I would do it, but if a team were willing to give a 1st and a 2nd, or something like that, I might do it as the Bears GM.

actually never gave that a thought about a trade, I would say at his age and salary, probably a third but that gives us the one back we gave to Miami

I went high with a 1 and a 2. But I think a 3 is too low. Somewhere in the middle?

I was trying to be realistic, what did it cost for one of the best WRs in the league under 30 years old, 2-3ths. I dont think we get much more out of him, The teams in the playoffs that might be looking for the one guy to get them over the top next year dont have a lot of cap space. So made that statement because of it

For just a 1, yes. Not a 2. TOo much of a mystery. I know what I'm getting in Peppy. He's good for 2 years I thnk if used wisely. He would be a huge benefit to the D while revamping the O. Then next draft, we attempt a replacement.

I went high with a 1 and a 2. But I think a 3 is too low. Somewhere in the middle?

Peppers would be one of the last players on the team I would want to cut. He is an elite player with at least a couple of years left, is a great face for the team, and a hard worker.

Maybe see if restructure is possible if appropriate, but we have alot of other guys to get rid of before one of the top, if not the top, player on the team.

If the new coach brings Marinelli back and they run the Cover 2 (which I very much believe will happen as they're interviewing offensive guys) no way our starting Pro Bowl DE goes anywhere.

Peppers was still a top 5 DE in the entire league with one foot. He's worth a lot more to the Bears to even what they're paying him.

His salary is 12333,000 and cap hit 4 million more. If he gets traded, frees up 12333,000. In order for us to be able to sign good players we need more money under cap.

But that doesn't just translate 1 to 1 when a player is traded. IIRC, if there's any signing bonus used to spread the cap hit out, that bonus all comes forwards if he's traded, making it much more expensive to trade him for the team removing him and requiring the team taking him on to be able to take on that $12 million as well.

Just depends how blatantly we're going into rebuilding. He's our best DE, without doubt. Double digit sacks and is a playmaker. We would need to find a team that is decidedly not rebuilding and needs a playmaker right now.

And that team would have to want Peppers more than other options (Freeney, IIRC, is very likely to be available this year as a free agent).

Ok personally i think this is a dumb move to trade our best DE this yr to sign an OL thats extremely pricey and has injury problem. But here's #'s on Pepp. His base contract is 12.9 this yr not 12.333 but whatever. Base in 2014 is 13.9 and base in 2015 is 16.5. Hes due 3.5M in bonuses in both 2013 and 2014 and 2.1M in bonuses in 2015. Hes got cap hits currently of 16.4M in 2013. 17.4M in 2014 and 18.6 M in 2015. So in total he still has 9.1M in bonuse. If u cut him prior to 2013 all 9.1M hits cap immediately so u would save 7.3M this yr if cut. If u restructure its relieving some of that cap hit this but really becomes a bigger burden in 2014 and 2015 then if u cut him after 2013 it becomes even messier. For example take a look at big ben who has cap hits near 20M because of restructuring in past yrs. Personally i think best course of action is stay course this yr and see where we are. If he falls off big or are truly rebuilding his cap hit is that much easier to release him if need be. Cap hit would be just 4.6 if cut after 2013 season or 2.1 if cut after 2014 season. Some things to ponder before making such decisions

Ok personally i think this is a dumb move to trade our best DE this yr to sign an OL thats extremely pricey and has injury problem. But here's #'s on Pepp. His base contract is 12.9 this yr not 12.333 but whatever. Base in 2014 is 13.9 and base in 2015 is 16.5. Hes due 3.5M in bonuses in both 2013 and 2014 and 2.1M in bonuses in 2015. Hes got cap hits currently of 16.4M in 2013. 17.4M in 2014 and 18.6 M in 2015. So in total he still has 9.1M in bonuse. If u cut him prior to 2013 all 9.1M hits cap immediately so u would save 7.3M this yr if cut. If u restructure its relieving some of that cap hit this but really becomes a bigger burden in 2014 and 2015 then if u cut him after 2013 it becomes even messier. For example take a look at big ben who has cap hits near 20M because of restructuring in past yrs. Personally i think best course of action is stay course this yr and see where we are. If he falls off big or are truly rebuilding his cap hit is that much easier to release him if need be. Cap hit would be just 4.6 if cut after 2013 season or 2.1 if cut after 2014 season. Some things to ponder before making such decisions

good work put into this response, I dont want to get rid of Peppers, but if we are rebuilding the OLine, we need more money. Most people think we can just sign people. We have a lot of roster spots to fill and even if most come cheap, we need more space to sign a stud OL. I just trying to figure a way of doing it. If we can restructure it thats fine, just need some way to address our needs. I think this year is critical to straight out the OLine. If Cutler keeps takes hits at the rate its going, he wont be worth a shit going forward. Then we will be bad on both sides of the ball. Lets get strong on the offense and rebuild the defense. Living in LaLa land that everything can be addressed in the draft is dreaming. If we can get a stud OL, and we need at least two,a TE, a MLB, in the draft that would be great, but dont see that as realistic.

good work put into this response, I dont want to get rid of Peppers, but if we are rebuilding the OLine, we need more money. Most people think we can just sign people. We have a lot of roster spots to fill and even if most come cheap, we need more space to sign a stud OL. I just trying to figure a way of doing it. If we can restructure it thats fine, just need some way to address our needs. I think this year is critical to straight out the OLine. If Cutler keeps takes hits at the rate its going, he wont be worth a shit going forward. Then we will be bad on both sides of the ball. Lets get strong on the offense and rebuild the defense. Living in LaLa land that everything can be addressed in the draft is dreaming. If we can get a stud OL, and we need at least two,a TE, a MLB, in the draft that would be great, but dont see that as realistic.

Thanks bud. I will say i don't mind doing homework in regards to the salary cap and structures of deals. Kinda fun a little cuz it really makes u think a little. And im willing to do it if ppl have questions in regards to it

I completely agree with u on out needs and i know ppl want to back that brinks truck up to jake longs door but i really gotta question it 1st before doing so. I understand hes a stud LT and thats a major need however hes differed injuries the past 3 yrs now making him an injury risk for starters. Then $$ is issue. Forget about our cap situation entirely for time being. He's gonna want a deal similar to that of Joe Thomas who got 7 yrs $84M with $44M gtd. Do u really want to throw that kinda $$ at someone who is an injury risk like that. Im confident that if we wanted him that Cliff Stein could figure a way to do his contract where we could keep peppers also

Thanks bud. I will say i don't mind doing homework in regards to the salary cap and structures of deals. Kinda fun a little cuz it really makes u think a little. And im willing to do it if ppl have questions in regards to it

I completely agree with u on out needs and i know ppl want to back that brinks truck up to jake longs door but i really gotta question it 1st before doing so. I understand hes a stud LT and thats a major need however hes differed injuries the past 3 yrs now making him an injury risk for starters. Then $$ is issue. Forget about our cap situation entirely for time being. He's gonna want a deal similar to that of Joe Thomas who got 7 yrs $84M with $44M gtd. Do u really want to throw that kinda $$ at someone who is an injury risk like that. Im confident that if we wanted him that Cliff Stein could figure a way to do his contract where we could keep peppers also

heres the list of FA OT:Offensive Tackles: there are 5 left tackles rated better than Webb on that list. Svitek-McKinnie-Albriet-Bushrod-LOng-and a few we know are better, but not rated as high. All of them wont break the bank. Lets target one and go for it.

D’Anthony Batiste – ARI

Pat McQuistan – ARI

Sam Baker – ATL

Will Svitek – ATL

Ramon Harewood – BAL – (RFA)

Bryant McKinnie – BAL

Colin Brown – BUF – (RFA)

Jeremy Bridges – CAR

Patrick Mannelly – CHI

Jonathan Scott – CHI

Dennis Roland – CIN

Andre Smith – CIN

Chris Clark – DEN – (RFA)

Ryan Clady – DEN

Jason Fox – DET – (RFA)

Gosder Cherilus – DET

Corey Hilliard – DET

Andrew Gardner – HOU – (RFA)

Rashad Butler – HOU

Ryan Harris – HOU

Jeff Linkenbach – IND – (RFA)

Winston Justice – IND

Eben Britton – JAC

Branden Albert – KC

Jake Long – MIA

Phil Loadholt – MIN

Geoff Schwartz – MIN

Sebastian Vollmer – NE

Jermon Bushrod – NO

Will Beatty – NYG

Sean Locklear – NYG

Austin Howard – NYJ – (RFA)

Jason Smith – NYJ

Zach Hurd – OAK – (Ex)

Khalif Barnes – OAK

King Dunlap – PHI

Max Starks – PIT

Frank Omiyale – SEA

Barry Richardson – STL

Robert Turner – STL

Jeremy Trueblood – TB

Jordan Black – WAS

Tyler Polumbus – WAS

heres the list of FA OT:Offensive Tackles: there are 5 left tackles rated better than Webb on that list. Svitek-McKinnie-Albriet-Bushrod-LOng-and a few we know are better, but not rated as high. All of them wont break the bank. Lets target one and go for it.

D’Anthony Batiste – ARI

Pat McQuistan – ARI

Sam Baker – ATL

Will Svitek – ATL

Ramon Harewood – BAL – (RFA)

Bryant McKinnie – BAL

Colin Brown – BUF – (RFA)

Jeremy Bridges – CAR

Patrick Mannelly – CHI

Jonathan Scott – CHI

Dennis Roland – CIN

Andre Smith – CIN

Chris Clark – DEN – (RFA)

Ryan Clady – DEN

Jason Fox – DET – (RFA)

Gosder Cherilus – DET

Corey Hilliard – DET

Andrew Gardner – HOU – (RFA)

Rashad Butler – HOU

Ryan Harris – HOU

Jeff Linkenbach – IND – (RFA)

Winston Justice – IND

Eben Britton – JAC

Branden Albert – KC

Jake Long – MIA

Phil Loadholt – MIN

Geoff Schwartz – MIN

Sebastian Vollmer – NE

Jermon Bushrod – NO

Will Beatty – NYG

Sean Locklear – NYG

Austin Howard – NYJ – (RFA)

Jason Smith – NYJ

Zach Hurd – OAK – (Ex)

Khalif Barnes – OAK

King Dunlap – PHI

Max Starks – PIT

Frank Omiyale – SEA

Barry Richardson – STL

Robert Turner – STL

Jeremy Trueblood – TB

Jordan Black – WAS

Tyler Polumbus – WAS

I see Phil Loadholt on there. He would do well i think. Good run blocker fot sure. I want Long also but i really question the $$ due to injury risk. If u can get both then line is good right there and have Scott and Garza for G's and then draft the C from bama.

Really guys? Come on. Will Svitek? How is he any good? He's 30 and has been on IR all year. Loadholt is awful as well.

Where did you get that list? Britton is a G. Linkenbach is a G also. And Patrick Mannelly? He's a long snapper.

The main 6 are Clady, Long, Beatty, Vollmer, Albert, and Bushrod. They need one of those 6. Period.

Really guys? Come on. Will Svitek? How is he any good? He's 30 and has been on IR all year. Loadholt is awful as well.

Where did you get that list? Britton is a G. Linkenbach is a G also. And Patrick Mannelly? He's a long snapper.

The main 6 are Clady, Long, Beatty, Vollmer, Albert, and Bushrod. They need one of those 6. Period.

Its not my list , pulled it off a website, didnt notice Mannelly on there, and was just throwing some names out there. NFL Trade Rumors, I think

I'm sorry, but any statistic that says only five names on that list graded out better than Webb is flawed. As already mentioned, Loadholt is easily better than Webb. He may not be an all-star, but he's an easy upgrade to Webb. The fact that there are OGs and Cs on the list just backs up my point about it being a crap list.

Not blaming you, attacking the data.