Toub being shown the door?

madlithuanian

Marinelli is a Cover 2 guy. If he's back, I wouldn't expect him to run anything different than what he's been doing. The reason they ran more Cover 1, Single High looks this year was because of Urlacher's inability to cover the middle of the field as well as he's used to. If he comes back healthier or we draft someone like Ogletree who can defend his position with the best of them, we'll be in the cover 2 more often in my opinion. Either way, it's a credit to RM for being able to adjust the D a little to make it work.

Marinelli is a Cover 2 guy. If he's back, I wouldn't expect him to run anything different than what he's been doing. The reason they ran more Cover 1, Single High looks this year was because of Urlacher's inability to cover the middle of the field as well as he's used to. If he comes back healthier or we draft someone like Ogletree who can defend his position with the best of them, we'll be in the cover 2 more often in my opinion. Either way, it's a credit to RM for being able to adjust the D a little to make it work.

The cover 2 is run maybe 30% of the time, a situational defense.

Where is everyone getting this statistical breakdown of how often the Bears run the cover-2?

I can honestly say I don't know how often it's run, but it sure seems to be run more often than 25-30%. That could probably be because when it's completely burned, they're usually in cover-2. Or that when Lovie would go into shut-down mode, and the field was there for the opponent to take, it was most likely the Bears were in cover-2, allowing passes all over the place.

Where is everyone getting this statistical breakdown of how often the Bears run the cover-2?

I can honestly say I don't know how often it's run, but it sure seems to be run more often than 25-30%. That could probably be because when it's completely burned, they're usually in cover-2. Or that when Lovie would go into shut-down mode, and the field was there for the opponent to take, it was most likely the Bears were in cover-2, allowing passes all over the place.

I've heard alot of analysts say that in past couple yrs we didnt run it alot. We use it alot against the likes of GB cuz it slows down there passing attack and its been successful at slowing them down. Problem with GB has been our offenses inability to even move ball

Bowen would break it down a bit and mention how little the Bears really run the cover-2. It is still the base defense but they don't sit in the cover 2 shell all game. It is well below the majority of the time. Outside of the Babich era, that has primarily been the case. Lovie ran it a bit more then Rod and Rod/Rivera both used it as the base defense but a lot more wrinkles and a lot of different looks (which aren't cover 2).

Also talked about a lot by Dilfer and some NFL films people as well.

My guess, purely a guess, is that Toub requested permission to interview with other teams due to either the uncertainty in Chicago as to his job security under another HC or because he was upset over Lovie's dismissal. I am sure Emery does not want to "show Toub the door".

I understand Toub could feel that way but why does he get special treatment over the other coaches who would also like to be FA and look for their next job (even if it might end up being with the Bears)?
For starters, he's probably the only coach we have that's in demand. It also may be as simple as him being the only one to ask...

Yep. That's when they would go into the deep cover 2 shell and give up big chunks of yardage whenever it was getting close to the end of a game or half. Can't say I'm going to miss that.

Not this year, unless Lovie gets a gig.

Why would a team not hire Marinelli? He's had a top rated defensive unit throughout his tenure was DC with the Bears. Additionally, he was respected despite his failure as a HC and with the Bucs he was the most respected Dline coach in the entire league. You are smoking something if you don' think Marinelli gets hired pretty quickly. Especially since there are a lot of new HC's which will be looking for DC's.

I'd say Hoke, who helped develop Jennings into a Pro Bowl CB and improved the play of a couple young safeties, will get some quick attention around the league.

Tice will too, probably not as an OC but as Oline coach absolutely. Bears failures here will be chalked up to lack of talent.

Marinelli will be hired too, and quickly if he wants to keep coaching.

Mike Phair Dline coach. Helped develop Melton into Pro Bowl player, Wooton turned in his best season, and even SMC turned in an adequate year, his first at a new position. He has to get out from under the Marinelli shadow though but I expect he'd draw some interest around the league.