Sweezy (7th Rd pick)

Giacomini (FA)

HOU:

Brown (1st Rd pick)

Smith (FA)

Myers (FA)

Jones (4th Rd pick)

Newton (7th Rd pick)

Excellent post. Out of that group, the only OL that's not primarily built through the draft is Houston. They have a 7th rounder, a FA 6th rounder, a 4th rounder, and a FA 3rd rounder. That's not drafting or signing well, that's hitting the lottery.

Why is it that this OL history lesson has to be done every year? When is everyone finally going to realize the OL has been sorely neglected for multiple years? This has been broken down by draft round as well as draft pick value, and it's plain to see for anyone not getting a Jerry Angelo Christmas Card that this dude simply didn't draft OLinemen with anywhere near the urgency as he drafted DLinemen. Whether or not this is a Lovie Smith influence is inconsequential, because, ultimately, the GM is the HC's boss.

Excellent post. Out of that group, the only OL that's not primarily built through the draft is Houston. They have a 7th rounder, a FA 6th rounder, a 4th rounder, and a FA 3rd rounder. That's not drafting or signing well, that's hitting the lottery.

Actually, with Houston's scheme (old Shanahan style zone-blocking), that could be much more scheme and development than hitting the lottery.

But...it could also be the weakness that led to their loss yesterday, since the Patriots bigger line simply beat up Houston's smaller line and kept hitting Foster in the backfield.

they wont be hiring him for that job, somebody had a favor called in just to give him a interview. He has a bad track record for drafting and that means he will never work as a GM again.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/13/3872...general-manager

That's a pretty solid favor, 2 interviews, man they're really stringing him along right.

The jets interest in him makes perfect sense. They are a poorly run franchise... The NY press will have a field day with him!

If he thought Chicago media was rough just wait til NY gets ahold of especially with a team that cares more about making tge back page than actually u know winning games

Let me ask you guys this, is the fact that our whole starting defense minus Urlacher(drafted the year before) and Peppers(brought in by Jerry) are all Angelo picks a testament to Lovie or Jerry?

It should come as no surprise that JA is a defensive guy (Dline and linebacker coach way back in the day)...

If the Jets wanna revamp their D, he may be the guy to put in charge upstairs.

Thing is Offensive line is something that is worth throwing at least one pick at every year. We've played OL Damage control and musical chairs the past 3-4 years. You don't wait till you are in a crisis position to start putting picks into it and high picks into it. You are going to have first rounders not pan out, but by the time we started putting first round picks into our OL positions the microscope was fixed on them so them not panning out is even more of a failure because you absolutely needed them to pan out immediately.

When you do look at the breakdown from year to year and you consider the college success the players had and it didn't translate to the NFL or hasn't yet. I do have to wonder at some level if it's not so much tools or the mechanic using the tools. You need to have coaches, coordinators, and position coaches who are skilled at getting the most out of players and developing talent. I don't see the Bears as a team in recent memory where we've really developed new talent. There are some guys who have cracked through over the years but we've seen guys come here and regress, we've ruined players. We are going to have new mechanics in our shop this coming season and if we get the right ones perhaps some of our guys can be salvaged and the ones that can't will be sent packing. Mix in new talent in FA and draft, and it's not unheard of for a team to see vast improvement on the OL from one season to the next. You just need the right mix of players and the right mix of coaches and staff to turn it around. I don't expect all our issues in this area to be fixed this coming season but a definite step in the right direction would be welcomed. And will help build confidence that Emery will be able to build this team for the present as well as the future.

Let me ask you guys this, is the fact that our whole starting defense minus Urlacher(drafted the year before) and Peppers(brought in by Jerry) are all Angelo picks a testament to Lovie or Jerry?

It should come as no surprise that JA is a defensive guy (Dline and linebacker coach way back in the day)...

If the Jets wanna revamp their D, he may be the guy to put in charge upstairs.

He won't be able to use FA as the team is really tight against the cap with very little wiggle room. His history in drafts is horrible. Very few guys actually work out. Plus if u know the jets the problem isn't so much defense. There problem is there O makes our O look mighty tough. Horrible qb play and there stuck with paying sanchez even if they release him. I hope they do hire him just so all if us on here thats been banging on him forever can laugh even harder

Angelo is a horrible GM. Dude misses more often than not in the draft. A GM must be able to draft. U really want to look at that track record lol

To call JA a "horrible GM" is taking it too far. I broke down each draft on here last off-season, year by year and pick by pick....I gave him a C-.

I'd agree with you that his draft record was below average to say the least. However, if you take into an account that if Harris' knees didn't go out, Tank wasn't a complete bone head and Vasher didn't plump up and not be able to play anymore....those are three players that could potentially STILL be Bears. Angelo couldn't have seen their problems IMO.

As far as him identifying players with high ceilings/good floors....he's better at good floors. I say that because he's always been able to find talented special teams guys.

I think he's had some bad luck with injuries, but at the same time the Bears were far from sorry in his tenure. If he gets the GM job with the Jets I think he'd be a great fit for Rex Ryan and I would wish him well.

I'm not saying I don't think Angelo should have been fired, but I don't think piling on him as the #1 reason for our problems is the correct response, either.

He won't be able to use FA as the team is really tight against the cap with very little wiggle room. His history in drafts is horrible. Very few guys actually work out. Plus if u know the jets the problem isn't so much defense. There problem is there O makes our O look mighty tough. Horrible qb play and there stuck with paying sanchez even if they release him. I hope they do hire him just so all if us on here thats been banging on him forever can laugh even harder

If there was any reason he wouldn't be a good fit in NY is because it took him until he had to unload 2 1st Rounders and a 3rd for Cut to finally get a QB. He's going to a team that doesn't have a QB and will have to revamp their offense.

I still like him picking players for Rex Ryan, though.

To call JA a "horrible GM" is taking it too far. I broke down each draft on here last off-season, year by year and pick by pick....I gave him a C-.

I'd agree with you that his draft record was below average to say the least. However, if you take into an account that if Harris' knees didn't go out, Tank wasn't a complete bone head and Vasher didn't plump up and not be able to play anymore....those are three players that could potentially STILL be Bears. Angelo couldn't have seen their problems IMO.

As far as him identifying players with high ceilings/good floors....he's better at good floors. I say that because he's always been able to find talented special teams guys.

I think he's had some bad luck with injuries, but at the same time the Bears were far from sorry in his tenure. If he gets the GM job with the Jets I think he'd be a great fit for Rex Ryan and I would wish him well.

I'm not saying I don't think Angelo should have been fired, but I don't think piling on him as the #1 reason for our problems is the correct response, either.

I've never said he was the #1 reason. He never really went after that go to WR in the draft. I also blame coaching staff for not being able to get more out of the players. Angelo never provided us with the necessary depth to overcome injuries. Every team faces injuries and u gotta be able to overcome them

I've never said he was the #1 reason. He never really went after that go to WR in the draft. I also blame coaching staff for not being able to get more out of the players. Angelo never provided us with the necessary depth to overcome injuries. Every team faces injuries and u gotta be able to overcome them

You did call him a horrible GM. Horrible GMs don't help build a Super Bowl team and last 10 years anywhere.

You give Angelo credit for players he did not draft.

Drafted starters: Briggs, Tillman, Paea, Steltz, Wright and Conte.(maybe Wooten and SMC)

Not drafted: Peppers, Jennings, Roach, Urlacher, Idonije, Toinae, Hayden, Hayes and Okoye all started this year. Problem is the disproportionate amount of picks he used on DL, S and CB vs the lack of picks he used on OL, WR and TE.

JA was good at everything but drafting...

You give Angelo credit for players he did not draft.

Drafted starters: Briggs, Tillman, Paea, Steltz, Wright and Conte.(maybe Wooten and SMC)

Not drafted: Peppers, Jennings, Roach, Urlacher, Idonije, Toinae, Hayden, Hayes and Okoye all started this year. Problem is the disproportionate amount of picks he used on DL, S and CB vs the lack of picks he used on OL, WR and TE.

JA was good at everything but drafting...

Angelo drafted Melton, too.

Actually, with Houston's scheme (old Shanahan style zone-blocking), that could be much more scheme and development than hitting the lottery.

But...it could also be the weakness that led to their loss yesterday, since the Patriots bigger line simply beat up Houston's smaller line and kept hitting Foster in the backfield.

Agreed completely. It was implied, but not clear. It's one of the main reasons why I have advocated for that type of blocking scheme for some time; it permits lesser OL talent. Something the Bears have had for quite some time.