And then there were 3

GakMan23

Gonna be an interesting week. I don't think I want Bevell as the Bears next Head coach, I am tired of exViking castoffs being on the Bears coaching staff.

GM Emery has his 3 finalists for Bears coaching job

Bevell, Arians or Trestman could be selected as soon as Wednesday

After crisscrossing the country for two weeks, Bears general manager Phil Emery has moved to a final round of interviews in search of the franchise's next head coach.

Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has a second interview scheduled Tuesday, and Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman are also in the mix, according to multiple sources.

Emery could have his man as soon as Wednesday so the new coach can begin assembling his staff before the Senior Bowl begins Monday in Mobile, Ala.

There have been 13 known candidates interviewed by Emery since Lovie Smith was fired Dec. 31 and his focus has been heavily on coaches with offensive backgrounds, something that wasn't a surprise after Emery talked in detail about the long-running inconsistencies of the Bears' offense at his Jan. 1 news conference.

Bevell interviewed for the first time Saturday in Atlanta before the Seahawks were eliminated in the divisional round of the playoffs by the Falcons. Arians met with Emery on Sunday and he was scheduled to interview with the Eagles on Tuesday, something that is not happening now. Trestman's original interview was Jan. 7.

All three known finalists have done impressive work with quarterbacks throughout their careers.

Arians, 60, is a leading candidate for NFL Coach of the Year honors for his fill-in work while Colts coach Chuck Pagano was on medical leave battling leukemia. In his first season in Indianapolis, the Colts had 36 new players on what was the NFL's third-youngest roster and 13 players landed on injured reserve.

He has been credited for his work with Andrew Luck, Ben Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning, and as the offensive coordinator of the Steelers he twice reached the Super Bowl with patchwork offensive lines. He skillfully handled a relationship with Roethlisberger, a player that can be challenging to manage.

Fox analyst Jimmy Johnson reported on his Twitter account last week that Trestman would be the next Bears coach, information that had to be rooted somewhere. The 56-year-old Trestman has coached in the CFL for the last five seasons, posting a 59-31 record and winning Grey Cup championships in 2009 and 2010. He has made stops with eight NFL teams, most recently as the quarterbacks coach and assistant head coach of the Dolphins in 2004. He was the quarterbacks coach for the explosive Raiders offense that reached Super Bowl XXXVII.

"I think the skill set that Marc has, being an offensive mind, and then his great relationships that he's had with quarterbacks historically in the NFL and the work he's done with them makes him a good fit for the job," Alouettes general manager Jim Popp said.

"A lot of guys want to be head coaches. Some leave the NFL to go to NCAA schools and then once they've proven themselves all of a sudden those college coaches are some of the hot commodity to be an NFL coach. It's no different. Coach Trestman has run a professional team as a head coach for five years. He's had a winning record for five years. He's proven himself as a head coach at a professional level. You can call it what you want, but on-hand training as a head coach and proof goes a long way, goes a real long way. You can't replace that."

Bevell, 43, has gotten considerable praise for his work with Seahawks rookie quarterback Russell Wilson, who passed for 385 yards, rushed for another 60 and accounted for three touchdowns in the 30-28 loss Sunday to the Falcons that suddenly made the assistant coach available immediately to the Bears. Bevell is considered a strong communicator and had a close relationship with another player that was challenging for some coaches — Brett Favre. They worked together in Green Bay and Minnesota, reaching an NFC championship game with the Vikings. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll hired Bevell to replace Bears quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates in 2011.

One source said Bevell and Trestman would be inclined to consider retaining defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, a move that would provide some semblance of continuity on that side of the ball for an aging unit. It's not known what Arians' plans for his staff are and Emery said he was going to allow the new coach to make decisions on his assistants.

It is certainly possible the Bears could retain some assistants from Smith's staff but it appears likely that special teams coordinator Dave Toub, who was one of the 13 candidates, will depart. It is expected he will join Andy Reid's staff with the Chiefs. Emery granted Toub permission to interview in Kansas City and Carolina and indications are he will reunite with Reid even though his contract with the Bears runs through 2013.

bmbiggs@tribune.com

Guest TerraTor

My problem with Arians is how can u give credit to a QB Coach / OC for working with two #1 overall QBs and another Top15 drafted by Cohwer? I dont mean to take anything from the guy but that just doesnt make sense to me.

Bevell again, was Qb/OC with Brett Favre.... Long after he was elite. And then take credit for Russel Wilsons season, im not buyin' it.

I cant promote Trestman cuz youd figure he would be in the NFL as we speak. But if i had a choice, its his new blood. And because im almost certain all the O-Staff would be immediately axed. I was so f'ing sick of Mike Tice's shitty and late playcalling, not to mention his praise of that complete useless retard Jmarcus Webb.

Money is still on Trestman or Arians. Think about it. Trestman wasn't really mentioned in NFL HC circles until after it was found out he was a candidate for the Bears. Then it seems one or two other teams started talking about him. I'm going to go out and predict Trestman will be it. And Arians will be backup.

Gonna be an interesting week. I don't think I want Bevell as the Bears next Head coach, I am tired of exViking castoffs being on the Bears coaching staff.

GM Emery has his 3 finalists for Bears coaching job

Bevell, Arians or Trestman could be selected as soon as Wednesday

i STILL say if you want PROVEN quality that not only knows offense, can create good qb talent out of nothing and can dictate DEFENSE to a DC mike holmgren was the best pick.... period.

again we want to limit our HC to knowing nearly nothing except his narrow vision expertise. it's similar to lovie's complete lack of offensive knowledge that got us to where we are now and yet here we go again only on the offensive side this time.

just once i would like a good HC who has done it in the NFL and done it well. we keep getting the chances and just keep flushing em.

i STILL say if you want PROVEN quality that not only knows offense, can create good qb talent out of nothing and can dictate DEFENSE to a DC mike holmgren was the best pick.... period.

again we want to limit our HC to knowing nearly nothing except his narrow vision expertise. it's similar to lovie's complete lack of offensive knowledge that got us to where we are now and yet here we go again only on the offensive side this time.

just once i would like a good HC who has done it in the NFL and done it well. we keep getting the chances and just keep flushing em.

Well I would say when you get a job as a GM you can go after Holmgren. He is not in the picture, so why bring him up? I think there are other posts where you can whine about who you want.

The one big positive that is coming out of all of this is the comments being made by candidates about Emery.Some going as far as to say that they have never inteviewed with someone as thorough and prepared as Emery.His attention to detail is showing.That is why I believe Tressman is the front runner because according to some of the former players he has coached he is also detail oriented about his offensive philosophy.Rumor has it that his first interview lasted several hours.I'm okay with whoever is picked with the hope that most of the defensive staff is retained.

My problem with Arians is how can u give credit to a QB Coach / OC for working with two #1 overall QBs and another Top15 drafted by Cohwer? I dont mean to take anything from the guy but that just doesnt make sense to me.

Bevell again, was Qb/OC with Brett Favre.... Long after he was elite. And then take credit for Russel Wilsons season, im not buyin' it.

I cant promote Trestman cuz youd figure he would be in the NFL as we speak. But if i had a choice, its his new blood. And because im almost certain all the O-Staff would be immediately axed. I was so f'ing sick of Mike Tice's shitty and late playcalling, not to mention his praise of that complete useless retard Jmarcus Webb.

This is almost exactly what I'm thinking.

I would say every candidate has their pro's and con's. In the same breath you could say Arians and Trestman are the only 2 with HC experience, and Arians and Bevell are the only 2 with recent NFL experience. Trestman is the only one to have worked personally with Cutler, and that Bevell and Arians are both former QB's who can speak from experience at the position.

To me, all the candidates are fairly even and any of them will be an upgrade from Lovie.

If holmgren is so great please how there were 7 other HC jobs available and he didn't even get an interview. Neither did chucky or cowher. So why keep bringing up someone who would have only been a stop gap

If holmgren is so great please how there were 7 other HC jobs available and he didn't even get an interview. Neither did chucky or cowher. So why keep bringing up someone who would have only been a stop gap

i guess i missed the restrictions that posters are allowed to comment on in this thread. why don't you post that list so myself and others don't waste our time commenting on items you personally don't like.

My first choice of those three (which would have surprised me merely a week or so ago) is Trestman. When I first heard Emery was to interview a CFL guy, I laughed and thought it was just part of the wide net and probably was to an extent and if so then even wiser to cast a wide net. I thought it was a joke that we interviewed a CFL guy, but the more I learned and still learn about this guy the more I think it would be a great fit. He's had a lot of experience in the NFL with different QB's different offenses, is a guy who has been a head coach at the pro level for 5 years not some guy who'd be learning how to be a head coach on the job. I have a feeling he is going to be the guy. I don't want Bevell and Arian's age kind of worries me a bit when I think of longevity in the position but I would not be opposed to him. I think both he and Trestman have a good offensive background to help this fledgling offense here in Chicago. But I lean more towards Trestman because he has head coaching experience and has had success as a coach winning two championships.

What would be cool would be Trestman head coach, and Arian as OC best of both there. I do like that Trestman would be inclined to retain RM as DC that would help maintain continuity on that side of the ball, and I believe also with Lovie gone, Rod would have more freedom to adapt his scheme to the players. Remember that was one of the hot button issues between Riviera and Lovie was that Ron didn't feel the freedom to tweak and improvise Lovie's defensive philosophy. It shows the recognition that the D isn't broken, it's just aging. As they get younger It would be nice to know that Rod has the freedom to adapt to the younger players he gets. If we can relatively maintain the effectiveness of the D and fix the Offense (which would definitely help the D out) this team could be dangerous. I'm also glad to see that whoever comes in is not saddled with someone by Emery or George, or the Bears FO. The new coach will have the option to retain but isn't required to. I think it makes sense to retain RM, If I were the new coach I would strongly consider it given the body of work.

i guess i missed the restrictions that posters are allowed to comment on in this thread. why don't you post that list so myself and others don't waste our time commenting on items you personally don't like.

To be fair the point he made is valid. Of the "retreaded" type coaches, the only ones really being mentioned for the newest rounds of hiring are the likes of Lovie Smith, Ron Turner and Andy Reid (who WAS hired) obviously coaches that were recently dismissed from the previous posts. Gruden, Cowher and Holmgren were mentioned early on but really didn't seem to gain ground after that with any of the teams.

What would be cool would be Trestman head coach, and Arian as OC best of both there. I do like that Trestman would be inclined to retain RM as DC that would help maintain continuity on that side of the ball, and I believe also with Lovie gone, Rod would have more freedom to adapt his scheme to the players. Remember that was one of the hot button issues between Riviera and Lovie was that Ron didn't feel the freedom to tweak and improvise Lovie's defensive philosophy. It shows the recognition that the D isn't broken, it's just aging. As they get younger It would be nice to know that Rod has the freedom to adapt to the younger players he gets. If we can relatively maintain the effectiveness of the D and fix the Offense (which would definitely help the D out) this team could be dangerous. I'm also glad to see that whoever comes in is not saddled with someone by Emery or George, or the Bears FO. The new coach will have the option to retain but isn't required to. I think it makes sense to retain RM, If I were the new coach I would strongly consider it given the body of work.

All this and then some. Well played.

On Arians: Yes he took Rothlesberger, as a rookie to the be the SB champ. It's not like he was handed a veteren.

Again, with Luck. Everyone knows the Colts were supposed to be ass. Yet, they came together with a new GM, new coaching staff, 36 new players and 6 starting rookies. Let alone the whole Pagano ordeal. Arians is long overdue for a shot.