Marinelli

Ed Hochuli 3:16

I said earlier if there is one thing older Bears fans know about Singletary it is that he is studious and willing to accept criticism and work hard to improve himself. I can't believe he hasn't learned some things and improved since his days back in SF. When it was reported that he'd interview for HC I also felt at that time he was interviewing for a potential DC role. Not shocked at all by this rumor.

IIRC, he became interim HC at the end of a season when the head coach was fired. The team response well and won some games and was more competitive. From there he was given the job. Initially they were more competitive but his Ditkaesque approach soon wore thin and players quit responding. His offense was also boring and predictable. Where have we seen that before? I have no idea how he'd be as a DC and I'm neutral on him as a candidate for that role. One thing is for sure, Trestman needs a guy who can be successful handling complete control of the defense.

If not Marinelli, who else is out there?

Marinelli? Meh. I never really thought he did that great of a job. I still believe the DL's attack, and the blitz packaging, were both elementary and easy to stop. Of course, that could just be guilt by association to Lovie. Maybe Marinelli turned Wooten and Melton into the monsters they are becoming?

He is under contract and doesn't have the conflict Toub did (Toub interviewed for the HC job and a has legitimate reason to leave). The Bears are being extremely nice if they are letting him leave for a demotion. I would assume they are not paying him any of his remaining contract since he is requesting to leave.

Peace

This is all weird to me. I can understand why a new coach would want his own guy, but from what I see Marinelli is wanted. Marinelli must be mentally done with the Bears after the firing of his friend.

But for him to leave his team is bizarre for a few reasons. 1) We as a team have a chance to win. 2) Our D is good. 3) He is under contract and would figure to want to stay with his coaches and players.

I'm sure there are things we do not know. From what I am hearing it just doesn't add up mentally.

All said, if he wants to go, I'll take the Samurai for a spin.

Guest TerraTor

I personally think the D was garbage. If it wasnt for Tillman and Jennings' heroics.. We constantly rushed.4 on long passing downs and gave them up. The whole science of the the undersized and quick DTs to me is stupid.

I know it wont happen now with offensive minded draft comng up. But i think we.should play a 3-4. My opinion is we have personnel for it: just need a maneating DT (maybe a heavier Paea)

Starting 11

DE- Peppers, Melton

DT - Paea

Ilb - Url and Rookie

OLB - Briggs McClellin

CB - Jennings Tillman

S - Major Dumbass and Conte

Potential DC's should be frothing at the mouth to try to give our guys a spin!

As good as Marinelli might have been...as good as Smith might have been...are we so certain, a good many others couldn't do similar or better?

I'm OK with it either way.

But as far as DC jobs go...we should have to beat candidates away with a stick.