Mel Tucker

Guest TerraTor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TerraTor
Interesting that he has experience with the 3-4 and 4-3. Versatility is always good. Would love to see it used during games.

agreed... Imagine Peppers at OLB a few plays...

Mel Tucker seemed to have turned the defense around for Jacksonville. They went from 30th to 6th in the league. So I am now assuming the Tampa-2 defense has officially left Chicago? Tucker ran the traditional 4-3 defense and also used the 3-4. I highly doubt he will use both. With a team that has had the same defense for 9 years, I believe its important to run something similar. I thought our pass rush was solid this year and our secondary forced a ton of turn overs. If we get a little younger in the backfield- i'd say were in great shape with Tucker.

Interesting quotes from Tucker. I seem to notice a trend starting with Trestman about all the coaches. Do you see similarities from the quotes below:

“I got into coaching because I really enjoy the game of football, and I really felt like I could make a difference with the players in terms of the teaching, the motivating, the developing,” said Tucker.

“Sometimes, change is good,” Smith said. “I feel like Mel brought a fresh philosophy. He’s very good at teaching. He gets the guys playing together with a relentless style.

“The entire time I’ve been in coaching, all I wanted to do was be the best coach that I could be. That’s all I’ve ever tried to do.

I’ve always tried to keep the focus on the players and what I could do for them.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/ja...h#ixzz2INMMkMQh

Mel Tucker seemed to have turned the defense around for Jacksonville. They went from 30th to 6th in the league. So I am now assuming the Tampa-2 defense has officially left Chicago? Tucker ran the traditional 4-3 defense and also used the 3-4. I highly doubt he will use both. With a team that has had the same defense for 9 years, I believe its important to run something similar. I thought our pass rush was solid this year and our secondary forced a ton of turn overs. If we get a little younger in the backfield- i'd say were in great shape with Tucker.

I wouldn't say its gone. Matt bowen said last yr he ran a lot of cover 2 but his biggest problem was personnel didn't really allow h to disguise coverages

I wouldn't say its gone. Matt bowen said last yr he ran a lot of cover 2 but his biggest problem was personnel didn't really allow h to disguise coverages

I'd be shocked if we went to a 3-4 simply because we don't have the personel. This team was 10 & 6 purely because of it's defense. Why would you blow that up to make a change? God knows we have plenty of necessary changes to make on offense. We probably want to resign Cutler, add one or 2 TE's who can be a threat, add a slot receiver who can stretch the field . . . anyone want to take a guess at how many offensive lineman we want to replace? That's a lot to do on one side of the ball. While we need to inject youth to the defense, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I believe he had a the 6th ranked D in Jacksonville last year and had some very solid ones in Cleveland.

Are you referring to 2011 or 2012? From what I've seen their 2012 defense was horrible. I hope it was due to talent deficiency. Casserly was saying how badly they needed and impact defender earlier today.

Anyway, I know absolutely nothing about him. Here's to his success!

Are you referring to 2011 or 2012? From what I've seen their 2012 defense was horrible. I hope it was due to talent deficiency. Casserly was saying how badly they needed and impact defender earlier today.

Sorry. I should've been clearer. I meant 2011. They resigned Jeremy Mincey and took Andre Branch in round 2. Combined in 2012? 4 sacks. At some point the players have to play.

Tucker is a good coach.

Going by matt Bowen he believes it personnel. He was forced to play alot of cover 2. And they couldn't blitz cuz there secondary couldn't cocer anyone. I do have to agree. That defense didnt have any play makers at all. At least here he is walking into a great situation. Play makers on line at LB plus 2 pro bowl CB and a couple decent safeties. Here i think he could run any style 4-3 based D and succeed. Im hoping for some more aggresiveness. More stunts on the DL and some exotic blitz schemes coming ftom both LBs and secondary guys

Going by matt Bowen he believes it personnel. He was forced to play alot of cover 2. And they couldn't blitz cuz there secondary couldn't cocer anyone. I do have to agree. That defense didnt have any play makers at all. At least here he is walking into a great situation. Play makers on line at LB plus 2 pro bowl CB and a couple decent safeties. Here i think he could run any style 4-3 based D and succeed. Im hoping for some more aggresiveness. More stunts on the DL and some exotic blitz schemes coming ftom both LBs and secondary guys

I think our situation on defense is good not great. I only saw one real playmaker at LB last year...Briggs. I'm not sure what Urlacher will bring to the table with a full offseason to actually run and work out. I hope if he's back he regains some of his mobility but if he can't then at best he's got one more year. We were still better with him on the field than off. The dine is good but not great. Two Pro Bowl CBs but one is near the end of his career and isn't really a shutdown corner until he knocks the ball out of the WR hands.

I think our situation on defense is good not great. I only saw one real playmaker at LB last year...Briggs. I'm not sure what Urlacher will bring to the table with a full offseason to actually run and work out. I hope if he's back he regains some of his mobility but if he can't then at best he's got one more year. We were still better with him on the field than off. The dine is good but not great. Two Pro Bowl CBs but one is near the end of his career and isn't really a shutdown corner until he knocks the ball out of the WR hands.

I wasn't counting urlacher as play maker. My play makers i was talking about is peppers(aging but still very effective). Melton(becoming a stud interior DT) and of course briggs. The D is old but can still play at an elite level and everyone has nose for ball. I think its a great situation cuz he is inheriting a top 5 D and can change schemes in a yr or 2 if he wanted as many of us believe SMC would be great fit for a 3-4

One playmaker? I would say Peppers, Melton, Tillman, and Jennings would beg to differ. Also, Wright and Conte have come a long way. Tillman is not a shutdown corner? Just ask Megatron who averaged 8-133 against the rest of the league and 4-53 vs the Bears. Megatron was held to a season low 3 receptions for 34 yards in Week 7 against Tillman.

One playmaker? I would say Peppers, Melton, Tillman, and Jennings would beg to differ. Also, Wright and Conte have come a long way. Tillman is not a shutdown corner? Just ask Megatron who averaged 8-133 against the rest of the league and 4-53 vs the Bears. Megatron was held to a season low 3 receptions for 34 yards in Week 7 against Tillman.

I misread his line and thought he said playmakers at LB. Nonetheless I like our defense but just didn't see them dominate consistently like a great D does. I agree on Melton, Peppers, and Jennings. Turnovers were the only area I'd say we were great at. We struggled all year to get off the field on 3rd downs. To get to that next level we're going to need someone else on the Dline to step up and be a more consistent playmaker. We also need a more mobile MLB regardless of scheme. Hopefully Urlacher can return to fill that role for one more season because I don't see many options without him. I think we'll still have a good defense this coming season.

I misread his line and thought he said playmakers at LB. Nonetheless I like our defense but just didn't see them dominate consistently like a great D does. I agree on Melton, Peppers, and Jennings. Turnovers were the only area I'd say we were great at. We struggled all year to get off the field on 3rd downs. To get to that next level we're going to need someone else on the Dline to step up and be a more consistent playmaker. We also need a more mobile MLB regardless of scheme. Hopefully Urlacher can return to fill that role for one more season because I don't see many options without him. I think we'll still have a good defense this coming season.

I agree with your assessment, but how much of that was due to the system the players were playing in? I know the 3rd Down issues were almost completely on the scheme. I don't know if we ever covered the quick slant, even though everyone knew it was coming.

For Urlacher, the only way I see him coming back is if he takes a pay cut, which is unlikely.