Mel Tucker

Guest TerraTor

I think many of us who love smash mouth defensive oriented teams have been disappointed in the past that our team has not done better offensively to allow us to return to the SB and now that an emphasis is being made to improve our team offensively our defense may slide a bit. Bottom line is the win and loss columns, playoff appearances and making it back to the SB. Hopefully all 3 phases of our team will kick butt but for some reason I am feeling the offense will be on the rise and the defense may take a small step back.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think both will take a small step back this upcoming season, then take giant steps forward the following... On both sides. My understanding is Tucker is very respected...he has a new toy. One that is rare and that everyone wants for Christmas. He has the potential to be better than what we've seen since Chico. He could also be worse... But I am of the mindset that he will rock it.

I think many of us who love smash mouth defensive oriented teams have been disappointed in the past that our team has not done better offensively to allow us to return to the SB and now that an emphasis is being made to improve our team offensively our defense may slide a bit. Bottom line is the win and loss columns, playoff appearances and making it back to the SB. Hopefully all 3 phases of our team will kick butt but for some reason I am feeling the offense will be on the rise and the defense may take a small step back.

I personally think both will take a small step back this upcoming season, then take giant steps forward the following... On both sides. My understanding is Tucker is very respected...he has a new toy. One that is rare and that everyone wants for Christmas. He has the potential to be better than what we've seen since Chico. He could also be worse... But I am of the mindset that he will rock it.

My thought is that the D will remain solid with a few learning bumps along the way. We badly need a talent infusion at the LB position. I'm in the minority on this board that feel Urlacher was below average last year. Also, looking at Briggs, I found him to have lost a step. Both of our star linebackers will need upgraded in the next couple of seasons and Roach has hit his talent ceiling.

On offense, I expect the same thing I expected last season. That we have a learning curve to overcome with the OL, as I expect at least a 40% turnover, again. The offense won't be good out of the gate, so they will have to ride the fast start the defense usually starts the season with. If our O is top 20 by the end of the season, we may be one of the hot teams going into the playoffs.

I wasn't counting urlacher as play maker. My play makers i was talking about is peppers(aging but still very effective). Melton(becoming a stud interior DT) and of course briggs. The D is old but can still play at an elite level and everyone has nose for ball. I think its a great situation cuz he is inheriting a top 5 D and can change schemes in a yr or 2 if he wanted as many of us believe SMC would be great fit for a 3-4

Worth continuing to note...Melton is a free agent and extending him will probably use up 1/3 of the Bears' cap space. It may well be impossible to both keep Melton and sign a top level OT.

Worth continuing to note...Melton is a free agent and extending him will probably use up 1/3 of the Bears' cap space. It may well be impossible to both keep Melton and sign a top level OT.

With the way Cliff Stein worked a miracle last offseason, I'd be shocked if they couldn't do both. Also, keep in mind, they'll likely have 15-20 new players next year thanks to a new regime. They'll be cutting a few guys and not resigning a few guys that are surprises.

Is this "1/3 of the space" including if Spaeth, Davis, and Hester are cut?

With the way Cliff Stein worked a miracle last offseason, I'd be shocked if they couldn't do both. Also, keep in mind, they'll likely have 15-20 new players next year thanks to a new regime. They'll be cutting a few guys and not resigning a few guys that are surprises.

Is this "1/3 of the space" including if Spaeth, Davis, and Hester are cut?

This.

Our cap number projected around $14 mil doesn't mean a hell of a lot at this time.

This.

Our cap number projected around $14 mil doesn't mean a hell of a lot at this time.

If you cut those guys, you get up to close to $20 million, give or take.

Then...$5 million or so in cap holds.

If you want to spend $10 million on a tackle...I can't see any way of keeping Melton. I don't think he's a $10 million player (although some teams have some serious cap space to blow), but heis well over $5 million.

If you cut those guys, you get up to close to $20 million, give or take.

Then...$5 million or so in cap holds.

If you want to spend $10 million on a tackle...I can't see any way of keeping Melton. I don't think he's a $10 million player (although some teams have some serious cap space to blow), but heis well over $5 million.

I agree with you, but it all depends on what Mellton actually gets. It isn't impossible for him to hold a cap number of $5mil for next year as his contract escalates.

I agree with you, but it all depends on what Mellton actually gets. It isn't impossible for him to hold a cap number of $5mil for next year as his contract escalates.

If the Bears get him extended before free agency starts I can believe that...but there are teams out there with >$40 million in space for this year again...they can hit him with $10 million+ in opening year cap space and challenge the Bears to put together a better offer.

If the Bears get him extended before free agency starts I can believe that...but there are teams out there with >$40 million in space for this year again...they can hit him with $10 million+ in opening year cap space and challenge the Bears to put together a better offer.

If that is the number it'll take to keep Melton- I'd rather he leave.

Its tough to say that as he's one of my favorite players and I believe he's as good as any pass rushing DT, but he isn't worth that.

If that is the number it'll take to keep Melton- I'd rather he leave.

Its tough to say that as he's one of my favorite players and I believe he's as good as any pass rushing DT, but he isn't worth that.

Just to be clear, not saying he'll get $10 million a year, but he'll get well over $5 million a year and a team could knock the Bears out if they front-load his deal in a way they can't compete with.

So yeah, I'm going to keep pointing that out...that defensive front could get a lot weaker very quick come the end of February.

Just to be clear, not saying he'll get $10 million a year, but he'll get well over $5 million a year and a team could knock the Bears out if they front-load his deal in a way they can't compete with.

So yeah, I'm going to keep pointing that out...that defensive front could get a lot weaker very quick come the end of February.

No- you were clear the first time. We were on the same page as he could very well get a front loaded contract should he make FA. 4yrs/32 mil with 12 guaranteed and 10 mil the first year is very possible for him (he'll want 5 years, but yeah).

With SB and guarantees, Stein can figure out a way to keep Melton and sign Vollmer, Long, or Albert. Of course, that probably means the end of Roach, Urlacher, Spencer, Idonije, and so on.

I hope you're right.

I'd even be content with Bushrod if the staff felt he could translate over to our club.

With SB and guarantees, Stein can figure out a way to keep Melton and sign Vollmer, Long, or Albert. Of course, that probably means the end of Roach, Urlacher, Spencer, Idonije, and so on.

I'd have to think U-Boat's days are numbered, but who knows. I've loved Izzy, but he can't have TOO much left in his tank anyway. The rest? I won't shed a tear.

My thought is that the D will remain solid with a few learning bumps along the way. We badly need a talent infusion at the LB position. I'm in the minority on this board that feel Urlacher was below average last year. Also, looking at Briggs, I found him to have lost a step. Both of our star linebackers will need upgraded in the next couple of seasons and Roach has hit his talent ceiling.

On offense, I expect the same thing I expected last season. That we have a learning curve to overcome with the OL, as I expect at least a 40% turnover, again. The offense won't be good out of the gate, so they will have to ride the fast start the defense usually starts the season with. If our O is top 20 by the end of the season, we may be one of the hot teams going into the playoffs.

I disagree. I thought Briggs was awesome this year. Still, yes, he and Urlacher's replacements need to be found soon.

I'd have to think U-Boat's days are numbered, but who knows. I've loved Izzy, but he can't have TOO much left in his tank anyway. The rest? I won't shed a tear.

I wouldn't shed a tear, but Roach is a nice back-up to have and Spencer isn't a bad back-up option either. I do want to keep Scott, however.

Found this on Tucker.

Tucker coached for four seasons with the Cleveland Browns (2005-08), serving as defensive backs coach for three seasons before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2008. Under Tucker’s guidance the Browns ranked fifth in the NFL from 2005-08 with 73 interceptions and allowed the fourth-fewest completions of 25-plus yards (78).

The 2008 Browns defense ranked 14th in NFL pass defense (204.6) and tied for third with 23 interceptions. The defense finished with 31 takeaways, tied for the third-most in the NFL. Tucker was responsible for the development of two young safeties in 2007 in Sean Jones and Brodney Pool, and two rookie cornerbacks who made an immediate impact. 2007 second-round pick Eric Wright tied for sixth in the NFL in 2008 with five interceptions while Jones had four interceptions.

In 2006 the Browns secondary was depleted by injuries, yet ranked 15th in the NFL in pass defense. The unit lost starters Daylon McCutcheon in training camp and Gary Baxter in week seven, and Leigh Bodden missed seven games. Jones and Daven Holly tied for the team lead with five interceptions apiece. In his first season with the Browns, Tucker’s secondary unit ranked fourth in the NFL in pass defense.

I disagree. I thought Briggs was awesome this year. Still, yes, he and Urlacher's replacements need to be found

Briggs did have a great season, but he did it by being a smart football player. That being said, he is still effective. He just isn't explosive like he used to be. Don't be surprised if he tails off a more this year. What worries me is that we need some athletic plays from our LB core. Hopefully our red shirt guy and whoever we draft wil provide.

Briggs did have a great season, but he did it by being a smart football player. That being said, he is still effective. He just isn't explosive like he used to be. Don't be surprised if he tails off a more this year. What worries me is that we need some athletic plays from our LB core. Hopefully our red shirt guy and whoever we draft wil provide.

He sure looked good on the INT TD return. He was moving.

Guest TerraTor
I disagree. I thought Briggs was awesome this year. Still, yes, he and Urlacher's replacements need to be found soon.

I wouldn't shed a tear, but Roach is a nice back-up to have and Spencer isn't a bad back-up option either. I do want to keep Scott, however.

I agree on all accounts. I dont think Roach is a starter either. We need a Top LB in the 2nd at minimum. There are proven studs in Free Agency at OT. And I personally dont see Emery letting them get away.