Free Agent OTs

scs787

I don't think this has been posted yet but here's PFFs list of potential free agent offensive tackles and their PFF grade..

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/...ensive-tackles/

6 of the guys with positive grades are LTs

Ryan Clady +26.9

- With P. Manning there I can't see him going no where

Will Beatty +22.4

- If New York can restructure some contracts he'll be back

Branden Albert +13.8

-Chatter in KC is they may take Joeckel 1st and Albert doesn't wanna move to guard.

Sam Baker +11.6

-Can't find anything

King Dunlap +7.1

-Probably a goner

Jermon Bushrod +1.5

-Probably a goner

J'marcus Webbs grade?? 0.0...So looking through Emerys 4 eyes, those are the guys if wanna upgrade over Webb. Jake Long probably makes that list as well but due to injury he had a -0.4 grade.

Bushrod despite having the lowest positive grade, which is due to a slow start because of injury, is the guy I want. He had a negative rating halfway through the season due to injury and finished off strong to give him a positive grade. The year before he gave a grand total of 2 sacks.

I'd prefer a LT in free agency or honestly Webb again. I guess the past drafting of Williams and Carimi has scared me away from the draft.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone feels your apprehension to drafting OL high, but stats still show that highly drafted OL prospects pan out at a better rate than any other position. Just think of we stopped trying to get laid after a few bad efforts??? Don't lose hope bro. We gotta get em one way or another.

I think everyone feels your apprehension to drafting OL high, but stats still show that highly drafted OL prospects pan out at a better rate than any other position. Just think of we stopped trying to get laid after a few bad efforts??? Don't lose hope bro. We gotta get em one way or another.

Horrible analogy. But hilarious

Guest TerraTor

Ha!

Ya I know, a sure thing would be nice though. Joeckel and Fisher are the only sure thing day 1 LTs out there I believe. Of the other potential 1st rounders Johnson is said to be raw, Fluker is said to be a RT, and Jones is said to be better suited inside. I'd just rather not have any doubt on our QBs blindside. The defense is not getting any younger, I wanna win now!

Awesome analogy. I will steal it.

Ya I know, a sure thing would be nice though. Joeckel and Fisher are the only sure thing day 1 LTs out there I believe. Of the other potential 1st rounders Johnson is said to be raw, Fluker is said to be a RT, and Jones is said to be better suited inside. I'd just rather not have any doubt on our QBs blindside. The defense is not getting any younger, I wanna win now!
I understand the concept but... How do we get out of that cycle? We've been doing it since 05' and it may have already cost us what we were trying to get all along. And now, it is still preventing us from getting there.

I understand the concept but... How do we get out of that cycle? We've been doing it since 05' and it may have already cost us what we were trying to get all along. And now, it is still preventing us from getting there.

Well the good news is with the bunch i listed above they are all relatively young, Bushrod is the oldest at 28. They all should have a good 5 or 6 years left under their belt so barring any kind of severe injury you won't have to worry about LT for while. LT is the only position I'm calling for them to do this at because it's the most important position on the line. I've been calling for a LT in FA and a LG or C in the 2nd round all along and I'm gonna stick to that even if all those guys are resigned. J'marcus Webb, as much as people hate to believe it was actually an average player at LT and in a new system that won't put him out on an island 9 times outta 10 he may prove to be above average. So if those guys I listed are gone I'd even like to go with Webb over a rookie.

Well the good news is with the bunch i listed above they are all relatively young, Bushrod is the oldest at 28. They all should have a good 5 or 6 years left under their belt so barring any kind of severe injury you won't have to worry about LT for while. LT is the only position I'm calling for them to do this at because it's the most important position on the line. I've been calling for a LT in FA and a LG or C in the 2nd round all along and I'm gonna stick to that even if all those guys are resigned. J'marcus Webb, as much as people hate to believe it was actually an average player at LT and in a new system that won't put him out on an island 9 times outta 10 he may prove to be above average. So if those guys I listed are gone I'd even like to go with Webb over a rookie.

I agree with getting a "young" FA LT. That is the quickest and best fix for various reasons. We are also in agreement to draft a stud, G/C early. I also agree that Webb improved last season and is still growing.

But, if we are left with Webb as our starter at LT, an LT for development must be drafted high to ensure depth and competition. Webb is an individual that is highly talented, but seemingly not bright and immature. He must be pushed or moved out of the way.

I agree with getting a "young" FA LT. That is the quickest and best fix for various reasons. We are also in agreement to draft a stud, G/C early. I also agree that Webb improved last season and is still growing.

But, if we are left with Webb as our starter at LT, an LT for development must be drafted high to ensure depth and competition. Webb is an individual that is highly talented, but seemingly not bright and immature. He must be pushed or moved out of the way.

I'd rather not use a high pick on depth. I want our 1st and 2nd rounders to be starters right out of the box. If 54 is back I want a Eiffert or Ertz in the first and if hes not I want an Ogletree, Minter, or Te'o(in that order). and then a starting G/C in the 2nd. If they wanna pick up some depth in the 4th or beyond I'm game.

Good point. Everyone wants to "win now" with the aged stars we have on defense, build for the future of the defense, while relatively ignoring the same reason why the Bears are in the cycle. Bandaids and aging FAs with three years left, that's not the way to build an offense. Well, unless you want to do it continuously every two or three years.

I hope Emery and Trestman finally turn this team into an offensive team so we can get out of the current cycle.

And I will defend to my grave the concept that what you've stated above about Webb is absolutely false. I know what I saw. And no measure of statistic, unless it's play-by-play-by-play, can accurately refelct how bad he has been. He is most certainly not average. And while offensive strategies should be used to mask offensive line weaknesses, if the player is good there are a lot less protections needed, and more options for the offense to exploit.

Good point. Everyone wants to "win now" with the aged stars we have on defense, build for the future of the defense, while relatively ignoring the same reason why the Bears are in the cycle. Bandaids and aging FAs with three years left, that's not the way to build an offense. Well, unless you want to do it continuously every two or three years.

I hope Emery and Trestman finally turn this team into an offensive team so we can get out of the current cycle.

I understand what you 2 are saying but we're set up to win and win now. They have the money so why not use it on a position of "need"? As I said before, Joeckel and Fisher are the sure things in the 1st round left tackles. Fluker is a RT, Barrett Jones is an interior player, and Lane Johnson is raw and as another poster said might take 2 or 3 years to develop. By that time who knows what the defense looks like, and we potentially have a 31 year old Brandon Marshall, a 30 year old Matt Forte, and a 32 year old Jay Cutler. Like I said I get what you guys are saying but I believe our window is open right now and I see no need to wait for a LT to develop when we should have the money to address it in FA.

And I will defend to my grave the concept that what you've stated above about Webb is absolutely false. I know what I saw. And no measure of statistic, unless it's play-by-play-by-play, can accurately refelct how bad he has been. He is most certainly not average. And while offensive strategies should be used to mask offensive line weaknesses, if the player is good there are a lot less protections needed, and more options for the offense to exploit.

Well Jason, Phil Emery disagrees. He uses PFF to give him an unbiased look at his players and Webb got a 0.0 grade which is exactly average.

Oh and when looking up how PFF grades I found this and bolded a statement above.

2012 offensive line rankings

Pro Football Focus grades every play of every game to evaluate the performance of the offensive line. On any given play, a player will get a positive or negative score between plus-2.0 and minus-2.0 (with 0 being average) depending on how well or badly they executed their assignment. All plays get tallied up and normalized to account for total snaps played to generate the game grade. The grades below represent the cumulative total of all offensive lineman game grades for each team. Overall grade combines elements of pass blocking, run blocking and penalties taken. For more on PFF's grading methodology, click here.

In Trestman's indtroductory presser, he stated that we will dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. That's something that hasn't been preached since Ditka. Hopefully, we get our wish and spend picks and money on the unit until it is solidified.

Guest TerraTor

My personal opinion is if (big if) CLady or Albert becomes a UFA; you throw every dollar at them. Taking OT/OG in the first Round outside the Top15 or so makes no sense to me, and even then. (See Chris Williams)

Guest TerraTor
In Trestman's indtroductory presser, he stated that we will dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. That's something that hasn't been preached since Ditka. Hopefully, we get our wish and spend picks and money on the unit until it is solidified.

I dont see how "gambling" on high round OL is gonna do that. Get proven guys; 1. Because they are proven 2. Because if the picks suck, they are totally useless

My personal opinion is if (big if) CLady or Albert becomes a UFA; you throw every dollar at them. Taking OT/OG in the first Round outside the Top15 or so makes no sense to me, and even then. (See Chris Williams)

If they sign Clady, keep Urlacher, and Warmack is there at 20, what do you want them to do?

Well Jason, Phil Emery disagrees. He uses PFF to give him an unbiased look at his players and Webb got a 0.0 grade which is exactly average.

Oh and when looking up how PFF grades I found this and bolded a statement above.

I saw the same things. I am hoping the former is just Emery not wanting to talk negatively about one of his players in public. I believe the latter to be flawed analysis, which is understandable because pretty much any analysis like this is going to be subjective.

I dont see how "gambling" on high round OL is gonna do that. Get proven guys; 1. Because they are proven 2. Because if the picks suck, they are totally useless

Do you not realize that is how the majority of teams get their franchise LTs? I mean, how else can this picture be painted? It is very rare for a franchise LT to leave his team because they are such a rare commodity. That's why they're not in FA every year.

Upside of a FA LT (who is not a franchise LT): Pretty good for a few years

Downside of a FA LT (non-franchise): Wasted big contract, attention required every few years regardless of outcome

Upside of RD1 LT: Franchise, decade-long bookend, problem fixed fairly permanently

Downside of RD1 LT: Bust. Attention required every few years once draft pick is determined to be a bust

Do you not realize that is how the majority of teams get their franchise LTs? I mean, how else can this picture be painted? It is very rare for a franchise LT to leave his team because they are such a rare commodity. That's why they're not in FA every year.

Upside of a FA LT (who is not a franchise LT): Pretty good for a few years

Downside of a FA LT (non-franchise): Wasted big contract, attention required every few years regardless of outcome

Upside of RD1 LT: Franchise, decade-long bookend, problem fixed fairly permanently

Downside of RD1 LT: Bust. Attention required every few years once draft pick is determined to be a bust

The problem with expecting arooki to come in and be real good are unrealistic expectations. If we can't get one of the top two tackles, we need to get a fa, or safer to do both. I think Emery will not go into the season without a solution, we need to win now, not 3 years from when all our offensive stars get old.

The problem with expecting arooki to come in and be real good are unrealistic expectations. If we can't get one of the top two tackles, we need to get a fa, or safer to do both. I think Emery will not go into the season without a solution, we need to win now, not 3 years from when all our offensive stars get old.

I don't know if this is always true since there have been several rookies who have recently come into the league and performed very well from the opening game, but I understand your point.