Free Agent OTs

scs787

If DE comes to us i can't see us going that route with so many other needs. I personally don't know about an early run on OL but do think 6-7 will go in 1st overall

That number sounds reasonable and it puts the Bears as the 4th or 5th O-Lineman, which would be tolerable for them.

If DE comes to the Bears, I dunno...that position is so important in this NFL I'd still hesitate to turn it down. You get a DE who could have gone in the top 10...man, that's rough. Think about trading away the pick that could have been Aldon Smith. Eek.

But if a DE comes to the bears, they might have to trade it. But if a DE does drop and there's an O-line run, the Bears probably are best trading down. But I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. Imagine being the guy who traded away a 15 sack DE. Eek.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That number sounds reasonable and it puts the Bears as the 4th or 5th O-Lineman, which would be tolerable for them.

If DE comes to the Bears, I dunno...that position is so important in this NFL I'd still hesitate to turn it down. You get a DE who could have gone in the top 10...man, that's rough. Think about trading away the pick that could have been Aldon Smith. Eek.

But if a DE comes to the bears, they might have to trade it. But if a DE does drop and there's an O-line run, the Bears probably are best trading down. But I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. Imagine being the guy who traded away a 15 sack DE. Eek.

Aldon Smith had 19.5 sacks but 5.5 in one game (against us Eek), but interesting enough did not have any in his last 3 regular season games or the last 2 playoff games.

I just can't see the Bears investing more money in the DL with Peppers, McClellin, and Melton (assuming he is re-signed) on the books. If there was a huge run on OL, then someone would fall to us like a top notch LB. If not, then trading down and acquiring more picks seems to be the way to go.

I just can't see the Bears investing more money in the DL with Peppers, McClellin, and Melton (assuming he is re-signed) on the books. If there was a huge run on OL, then someone would fall to us like a top notch LB. If not, then trading down and acquiring more picks seems to be the way to go.

Forgot about "the Purple People eater" Wooton. And I assume that most consider Paea a servicable DT? So, if the team were to someday convert to a 3-4 defense wouldn't they then need to look at another top rate LB? Especially with Urlacher uncertain this year let alone nearing the end of his shelf life?

Forgot about "the Purple People eater" Wooton. And I assume that most consider Paea a servicable DT? So, if the team were to someday convert to a 3-4 defense wouldn't they then need to look at another top rate LB? Especially with Urlacher uncertain this year let alone nearing the end of his shelf life?

While we're talking 3-4 let me throw another wrench into the system....Lets say they get their LT in FA, 54 is brought back, and you've got this massive 320 pound Australian rugby player(I play rugby so I had to point that out lol) Jesse Williams, or an even more massive 359 pound John Jenkins staring at them. With Emery used to having a 3-4 team and the new DC running some 3-4 do you go with one of the big monsters and make the change to a 3-4?

I still believe Melton can play the 5 technique and move outside with his speed, and I think Pep can work on the other side. You then got a Briggs-Urlacher-Roach-SMC LB core.

There isnt a TE worth #20 in my opinion. LB However, i imagine there are plenty

Meh, there might be an LB that steps up in combine but right now Ogletree is the only LB that excites me that MIGHT be there at 20....Te'o does nothing for me, and if you find a trade partner you can trade back to get Minter which is the same thing you can do with a TE.

While we're talking 3-4 let me throw another wrench into the system....Lets say they get their LT in FA, 54 is brought back, and you've got this massive 320 pound Australian rugby player(I play rugby so I had to point that out lol) Jesse Williams, or an even more massive 359 pound John Jenkins staring at them. With Emery used to having a 3-4 team and the new DC running some 3-4 do you go with one of the big monsters and make the change to a 3-4?

I still believe Melton can play the 5 technique and move outside with his speed, and I think Pep can work on the other side. You then got a Briggs-Urlacher-Roach-SMC LB core.

I've always liked this idea. And I don't think Williams/Jenkins are necessary. I think Paea is stout enough to anchor the middle. Wooten, Melton, and Peppers can rotate at DE. The LB corp you listed sounds pretty good to me. Of course, a move to 3-4 mandates more attention to LBs.

I've always liked this idea. And I don't think Williams/Jenkins are necessary. I think Paea is stout enough to anchor the middle. Wooten, Melton, and Peppers can rotate at DE. The LB corp you listed sounds pretty good to me. Of course, a move to 3-4 mandates more attention to LBs.

That NT position in a 3-4 is just such a key position in that defense, in terms of stopping the run, I'm just not sold on Paea being the guy.

Agreed, but I would not be surprised to see the new staff jetison Url. Who would come in at ILB I have no idea.

Agreed, but I would not be surprised to see the new staff jetison Url. Who would come in at ILB I have no idea.

In the situation I proposed earlier 54 would be back, but if he's not brought back and the 3-4 is something they really wanna do now I think its possible to make that happen. Ogletree if he's there at 20 would be fantastic, and if we got him I wonder if Briggs would want to move inside?? I just love the idea of having SMC & Trees speed on the outside in a 3-4 with Briggs and Roach on the inside....And then at nosetackle, I think if Paea can pack on some more pounds and become a wider load he would work but a sure thing bigger presence would be needed. There's a guy on Georgia who had his job taken by the before mentioned John Jenkins, 6'5" 355lb Kwame Geathers who I think is gonna give a team great value. There's no shame in losing your job to a talent like John Jenkins and because of it he's now projected as a 5th rounder. I can almost guarantee his stock rises but if they can get him in the 4th I'd be ecstatic.

Ogletree-Briggs-Roach-SMC behind Pep-Geathers-Melton would be soooo sexy.

I may make a "3-4 draft" later

I added my 3-4 draft so lets talk about my last post over there and move this back into a free agent OT discussion....

With Staley and the 9ers making the Super Bowl, Bushrod is getting the nod for the pro bowl...Might drive up his price a bit and make signing him and Melton difficult. I still think it's possible, esp. if they restructure some contracts.

In the situation I proposed earlier 54 would be back, but if he's not brought back and the 3-4 is something they really wanna do now I think its possible to make that happen. Ogletree if he's there at 20 would be fantastic, and if we got him I wonder if Briggs would want to move inside?? I just love the idea of having SMC & Trees speed on the outside in a 3-4 with Briggs and Roach on the inside....And then at nosetackle, I think if Paea can pack on some more pounds and become a wider load he would work but a sure thing bigger presence would be needed. There's a guy on Georgia who had his job taken by the before mentioned John Jenkins, 6'5" 355lb Kwame Geathers who I think is gonna give a team great value. There's no shame in losing your job to a talent like John Jenkins and because of it he's now projected as a 5th rounder. I can almost guarantee his stock rises but if they can get him in the 4th I'd be ecstatic.

Ogletree-Briggs-Roach-SMC behind Pep-Geathers-Melton would be soooo sexy.

I may make a "3-4 draft" later

No way they consider the 3/4. To much of personal change over from there roster. They have to resign Melton, Urlacher, Roach, need to add a lot more depth at LB. With all the help we need on offense, no way in hell that happens. We assume who fits the 3/4 mold. Realisticly Pepper can play anything and Shear fits rush LB, the rest of our defense is suspect. By the way Emery was in Atl then K C, he was only around one year under the 3/4. KC only recently went that way.

No way they consider the 3/4. To much of personal change over from there roster. They have to resign Melton, Urlacher, Roach, need to add a lot more depth at LB. With all the help we need on offense, no way in hell that happens. We assume who fits the 3/4 mold. Realisticly Pepper can play anything and Shear fits rush LB, the rest of our defense is suspect. By the way Emery was in Atl then K C, he was only around one year under the 3/4. KC only recently went that way.

Keep in mind that our new DC does have experience with the 3-4. So there is a possibility that we see some packages. And yes, personnel-wise we don't have the guys, now. . . .

Name me teams in the past that have had the personnel in place already to move to a 3-4 defense before they actually make the change.

...I can then name teams that struggle for a year or even a couple years while getting that personnel down. GB did, for example.

Would you be willing to write off this season if that's what it took to convert to a 3-4?

Name me teams in the past that have had the personnel in place already to move to a 3-4 defense before they actually make the change.

Nobody does, but I think Emery thinks we could make a playoff run with add some pieces on offense. If changes to a 3/4 that means we start rebuilding.

Nobody does, but I think Emery thinks we could make a playoff run with add some pieces on offense. If changes to a 3/4 that means we start rebuilding.

I think if we were to rebuild, we will need more draft picks than 5. We all ready need to rebuid an offensive line, find a starting TE, speed wr and a young qb that would be a capable #2. I just don't see a reason this year especially when you had a top 10 defense.

I think if we were to rebuild, we will need more draft picks than 5. We all ready need to rebuid an offensive line, find a starting TE, speed wr and a young qb that would be a capable #2. I just don't see a reason this year especially when you had a top 10 defense.

In my last mock on the 17th, I posted a scenario where they could trade down with Cincinnati, pick up a 2nd + 3rd+ 5th+ a 4th in 2014. The numbers add up about right.

...I can then name teams that struggle for a year or even a couple years while getting that personnel down. GB did, for example.

Would you be willing to write off this season if that's what it took to convert to a 3-4?

My only point being is that everybody always says we don't have the personnel to run a true 3-4, but in reality, no base 4-3 defense has perfect personnel to run it either, otherwise they'd already be doing it. It applies to almost every team.

It doesn't have to be a zero sum situation either. Meaning, making a switch = wasted season. The Bears could switch to a 3-4 today and be successful after one off-season. The problem is more about being able to sustain success as a 3-4. GB lost a few key players to their defense after the Superbowl season that they haven't been able to replace. It is hard to consistently draft the right players for that defense.