Kiper's Review of Bears 2012 Draft

rockren

I agree.

Post-draft grade: C+

Summary: The Bears targeted needs at defensive end and wide receiver, and Shea McClellin had his moments, as did Alshon Jeffery when healthy. But questions I had about them exist today. I don't know if McClellin has the explosiveness to be an upper-crust pass-rusher at the NFL level, and while Jeffery can be a physical matchup problem, questions about his speed, ability to separate and take the top off the defense as a deep threat remain. Evan Rodriguez was a nice conversion -- he was a tight end at Temple, but the Bears used him as a fullback, and I can see his role expanding. But that's really it for the draft. Rodriguez is the only player taken you can feel confident will be listed as a starter on the Week 1 depth chart for 2013, so hopefully McClellin and Jeffery can continue to grow into bigger roles. The biggest question I had then was the fact that Chicago didn't take a single offensive lineman -- it was the top need I had listed -- and that's still a big question mark as the Bears head into another offseason.

New grade: C-

I agree with Mel on this one. He was a big fan of Angelo so his opinion could be a bit tainted but how can you argue with the points Mel makes here? Obvious needs were blown off, a tweaner was picked for a speed rusher and he didn't really develop and Alshon didn't see enough PT due to injury to upgrade that opinion. I believe Alshon will turn out to be a solid pick but he hasn't proven anything yet.

I'd say D+ for the exact same reasons Mel gave, but an extra mark downward because the TE need was there, Rodriguez was drafted, but he was moved out of that role. I don't see that as a positive. I see that as sort of a wasted draft pick. A blocking FB/HB hybrid could have been drafted later or picked up in FA.

Of course, it's still too early to tell. Alshon could make the jump in year 2 or 3. It wouldn't be uncommon. And maybe McClellin will benefit from a defensive change.

I'd say D+ for the exact same reasons Mel gave, but an extra mark downward because the TE need was there, Rodriguez was drafted, but he was moved out of that role. I don't see that as a positive. I see that as sort of a wasted draft pick. A blocking FB/HB hybrid could have been drafted later or picked up in FA.

Of course, it's still too early to tell. Alshon could make the jump in year 2 or 3. It wouldn't be uncommon. And maybe McClellin will benefit from a defensive change.

I'm still excited about this draft to be honest- SMC and Alshon will eventually tell the tale of this class.

It may be unfair to write off Hardin, but he hasn't played in two years...let alone suffering a serious injury.

I do believe Mel's criticism of SMC is a bit harsh as I do believe he could be a house on fire off of the corner if he's turned loose. Emery/Lovie did state it would take SMC a bit to get stronger and adjust so year 1 for SMC to turn out to be a learning curve shouldn't be that much of a surprise. I also feel if Alshon can stay healthy he'll be a hell of a player. Mel was very wrong to say he lacks top end speed as he showed in W1 and several other times during the season that he can flat out run by people.

This is where I'm at as well. If we keep Clutts and let Rodriguez develop as a pass catching TE, it moves up to C-. No way it ever gets higher than that, because our team failed because the OL was completely neglected. As was predicted by 80% of this board.

Duplicate

As a one year review, I'll agree, maybe a notch below. A new coaching system could fix that grade rather quickly.

SMC- I hope he shuts me up next year but I think if he stays at DE he'll be a bust and put a damper on the whole draft.

Jeffery- I fully expect him to be a legit #2

Hardin- Incomplete. Wright and Conte played well last year so chances are he'll continue to be incomplete even if healthy. He's got good speed and size so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he wins the job over one of the 2 above or CB...Grooming him as an LB could be interesting if he puts on 20 or so pounds.

Rodriquez- Loved what I saw from him when he was on the field but for whatever reason(Lovie and Tice incompetence) he wasn't out there near enough. With Trestman I think he gets utilized as an H-back and excels.

Frey-Incomplete

McCoy-Incomplete. Could be utilized as a solid returner which would make this a solid pick

Frey-Incomplete

McCoy-Incomplete. Could be utilized as a solid returner which would make this a solid pick

Drafting these guys is prime example of what I hate. We were pretty deep at CB last year, yet we use FA money to sign special teamers. If you need special teamers, draft them late! They just may end up making it at other positions. There are a bunch of 6-7 round linebackers in the NFL. Don't we need LB depth? Were there zero OG's or C's out there we felt we could develop with those picks?? How big Hopefully Emery's first offseason followed the Lovie plan. I don't see it happening anymore. Otherwise I will be critical of this.

I basically agree. However, the D+ is simply the grade at the moment, given lots of unanswered questions.

1. If Jeffrey turns out to be a class #2 WR

2. If Shane turns into a contributor, or...if he turns into something much better, then theg rade get higher

3. If Hardin becomes a valid back-up or contributor

4. If Rodriquez turns out to be a valid FB,

Any combination of those will result in a higher grade depending on severity of the improvement.

The draft itself should be no better than B+ regardless since Ol was completely disregarded.

However, all that said...now is the time we truly judge Emery in the upcoming draft. His hands were moderately tied this last year. However, it's still on his resume like it or not.

I don't know what the exact number was, but I was surprised to hear McClellin had near the most total disruptions this season for the team despite missing games and his playing time being sporadic. Tells you that he made his snaps count. My question is whether or not he has it in him to become more than just a 3rd down pass rusher. As a 1st round pick, he better, or it was a failure.

As a one year review, I'll agree, maybe a notch below. A new coaching system could fix that grade rather quickly.

SMC- I hope he shuts me up next year but I think if he stays at DE he'll be a bust and put a damper on the whole draft.

Hardin- Incomplete. Wright and Conte played well last year so chances are he'll continue to be incomplete even if healthy. He's got good speed and size so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he wins the job over one of the 2 above or CB...Grooming him as an LB could be interesting if he puts on 20 or so pounds.

Rodriquez- Loved what I saw from him when he was on the field but for whatever reason(Lovie and Tice incompetence) he wasn't out there near enough. With Trestman I think he gets utilized as an H-back and excels.

Frey-Incomplete

as a one year review they could keep the d grade, but next that could go up to a b grade with Evan playing TE, smc having 7 sacks and Hardin staying healthy. Jeffery will eventually be a #2 but may be one year away from that.

Guest TerraTor

Frey-Incomplete

agreed in all aspects..McClellin pick made me wanna puke so bad. If he plays LB he has a chance, otherwise good riddance.

Jeffrey, to me was the only player worth his pick selection. He can go 60 for 800yrds 6TDs every year beside Marshall

agreed in all aspects..McClellin pick made me wanna puke so bad. If he plays LB he has a chance, otherwise good riddance.

Jeffrey, to me was the only player worth his pick selection. He can go 60 for 800yrds 6TDs every year beside Marshall

OK, so what does that tell us about Emery? I mean, his body of work thus far is this draft we all seem to hate and his picking a coach that looks like a huge dork. I'm not saying we should be down on the guy, time will tell. And some of the coaching picks look good to me despite the nerdly looks of the HC.

Maybe McC was always targeted for the next D this team was going to play after he fired Lovie. If so, shame on him for throwing Lovie under the bus but congrats to him for playing multi-dimensional chess and getting to his goal. I just hope it all works out...

OK, so what does that tell us about Emery? I mean, his body of work thus far is this draft we all seem to hate and his picking a coach that looks like a huge dork. I'm not saying we should be down on the guy, time will tell. And some of the coaching picks look good to me despite the nerdly looks of the HC.

Maybe McC was always targeted for the next D this team was going to play after he fired Lovie. If so, shame on him for throwing Lovie under the bus but congrats to him for playing multi-dimensional chess and getting to his goal. I just hope it all works out...

Can't really judge him just yet...yes so far the draft class hasn't been that good but it's only year 1, it could take a couple years for them to really shine. Hardin could end up being a good player, he's got really good size and speed (4.3 6'3"). It'll be intriguing to see what they do with him and I've got high hopes for him. Evan Rodriguez was poorly utilized last year and I expect him to take off in whatever role Marc puts him in. We all like Jeffery and who knows maybe SMC puts on some more muscle and becomes a dominate DE. I kinda doubt it but who knows, his moves are really more suited for standing up.

It's still got a chance to be a good draft and you can't be down on him already....and come on man...who cares what he looks like, he played college ball, he paid his dues, he's not some straight up dork who knows nothing about football.

First of all no one rates a draft after year 1 and this is unusual to even be discussing this.BTW Frey is on a futures contract so he has a chance to still make an impact. For the record Kiper isn't the end all be all as a draft analyst and I believe some of the members of the board have a better assessment of what the Bears needs are and the impact of their picks have done.