30th Ranked OL per PFF

scs787

Your spreadsheet came up with Chris Williams as the starting left tackle. It spreaks for itself...

Does it? I don't think so. Chicago's offense doesn't think so. Lovie's unemployment doesn't think so. Mike Tice's firing doesn't think so. Jay Cutler's body doesn't think so.

Maybe the guy had ever been given a legit shot to start and play he would have succeeded and stayed with the Bears? Chicago's recent track record with offensive success speaks volumes about the poor choices they've made. The fact he was constantly screwed over, and ultimately wanted to leave, is probably an indication of wrong-doing in Chicago moreso than wrongdoing on the part of Chris Williams.

How do you think they come up with the data in the first place? Just because they don't list every snap every player has ever taken doesn't mean they don't analyze play-by-play footage before coming up with a score. PFF is contracted with several NFL teams that trust their data enough to use for evaluation purposes. They actually work with real NFL people. So you can say that you could scrutinize their data, but at the same time, keep in mind that there are teams in the league right now that use that information to some degree. Football isn't a science, so no matter who's doing what, everything that's put out there should not be looked at as the "Be all end all." However, I would venture to say that when it comes to advanced statistics and player analysis, you'd be hard pressed to find better, more reliable information out there on the internet, than STATS inc. or PFF.

For the most part I agree with the concept that there is nobody doing the statistical analysis they do, as well as they do. But since "football isn't science," there will always be a point of disagreement when evaluating plays and players happens. Was the pass catchable? Did the QB hold the ball too long? Did the DT choose the right hole? There are a billion what-ifs that go into the grading of a player, and if we had access to their data and game film, and had the time to research it ourselves, I suspect we'd disagree on many plays. There's no other explanation for how highly they rate Webb.

Search the archives for the preseason games. It was discussed at length there.

So he sucked in preseason?? awesome. That really shows how much he grew as a player during the season.

For the most part I agree with the concept that there is nobody doing the statistical analysis they do, as well as they do. But since "football isn't science," there will always be a point of disagreement when evaluating plays and players happens. Was the pass catchable? Did the QB hold the ball too long? Did the DT choose the right hole? There are a billion what-ifs that go into the grading of a player, and if we had access to their data and game film, and had the time to research it ourselves, I suspect we'd disagree on many plays. There's no other explanation for how highly they rate Webb.

Yes, there is another explanation, he was a slightly below average player that continues to grow as a 24 year old player. He nearly cut his penalties in half 13 to 7, false start penalties from 8 to 3, and sacks allowed from 14 to 9 (with 4 or 5 of those in 3 games against Aldon Smith and Clay Matthews where he was left on an island trying to defend 2 of the best sack artists in the league).

Let's say the questions about Lane Johnson taking a couple years to really develop weren't answered in the senior bowl...Would you take him knowing he might suck for a year or 2? that's basically whats going on with Webb, he was a 7th round prospect that is continuing to grow.