Bears like Lane Johnson

Ed Hochuli 3:16

I disagree. I think Webb was pretty darn close to average. He was just put in crappy positions, with very little help when it should have been given, and literally crap on the rest of the line. I don't think a HOF caliber O-lineman would have had much success with as little help as the Bears gave Webb...and he had a number of games where he was legitimately solid but people didn't pay attention because the right side or up the middle of the Bears line was collapsing.

No, you agree. "pretty darn close to average" = "below average" It's just a matter of degrees.

The latter part of your post is something I've said for far too long. It's the reason why the Bears OL, while sometimes solid for stretches, was worse than many other similar OLs because they'd split time sucking. They were literally worse than the sum of the parts.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I think Webb was pretty darn close to average. He was just put in crappy positions, with very little help when it should have been given, and literally crap on the rest of the line. I don't think a HOF caliber O-lineman would have had much success with as little help as the Bears gave Webb...and he had a number of games where he was legitimately solid but people didn't pay attention because the right side or up the middle of the Bears line was collapsing.

If you look at good LTs saying Webb is average is quite lame. The reason he didnt get help is lousy LG play and the RT-Carmi was actually playing worst. Our Oline was rank 32nd and 30th the last two years, are we really saying any of the OLine was good, thats impossible. We need to replace everyone of them, and since in one offseason , that is near impossible I think we need to resign Louis, Scott, add two and I would prefer to 3 new lineman to compete for a job. It would be wonderful if Carmi, got good, and Webb actually became average, but we cant go another offseason with the same bodies. That is insane. Keep those guys add some new ones and let the best men win the job.

To further elaborate on my posts about LBs and Webb...Anthony Spencer, another LB, got 2 sacks on him bring the total to 6 of the 9 sacks Webb gave up being against LBs where he was getting no help.

Trestman and Kromers offensive of dumping it off to the Back will force the LBs to stay at home to see what the RB/FB is doing which will take a lot of pressure of the ends (Webb) in pass protection. I truly believe the new staff will allow us to give Webb and others another year to prove that he will be the long term option at LT.

Good point. There doesn't appear to be great OG talent out there in FA.

WHICH IS WHY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED THIS PAST PRESEASON WHEN IT WAS POSSIBLE.

Not only were Grubbs and Nicks FAs (regardless of the price tag), but the Bears passed on David DeCastro and Kevin Zeitler in the draft! I freaking hate Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo.

Levitre and Vazquez aren't "great" but they are really good and they are on the right side of 30. For $6m/year, I'd take either.

If you look at good LTs saying Webb is average is quite lame. The reason he didnt get help is lousy LG play and the RT-Carmi was actually playing worst. Our Oline was rank 32nd and 30th the last two years, are we really saying any of the OLine was good, thats impossible. We need to replace everyone of them, and since in one offseason , that is near impossible I think we need to resign Louis, Scott, add two and I would prefer to 3 new lineman to compete for a job. It would be wonderful if Carmi, got good, and Webb actually became average, but we cant go another offseason with the same bodies. That is insane. Keep those guys add some new ones and let the best men win the job.

I think the Bears not only have to have a lot of the same bodies, but I think it's the right move. Webb, Carimi, Garza, and Louis is a line with some solid potential in it....but the rest of the roster becomes key there. With Louis and Carimi's injury history I don't know if I can count on them to start. If my medical staff thinks Louis will be ready, he's a reasonable starting option...but there needs to be an additional guard brought in, an improved backup guard to cover for if Louis goes down again...and there needs to be a plan for what to do if Carimi isn't any better next year...better than the complete failure that happened this year.

If Louis comes back, the right way to do it might be 1 guard, 1 tackle (one of which is free agent, one of which is a first or second round pick). That fills the empty guard position and provides an additional tackle in the event that Carimi is as bad as he was last year or Webb goes down.

Of course, it's also plausible that the staff is ready to cut ties with Carimi after last season, and I won't be complaining if they make that call, and its also plausible they don't think Louis will recover in a reasonable amount of time, at which point, they have Webb and Garza as the only 2 guys who can even be penciled in to next year's line. In that case, they legitimately need 4+ bodies.

I think the Bears not only have to have a lot of the same bodies, but I think it's the right move. Webb, Carimi, Garza, and Louis is a line with some solid potential in it....but the rest of the roster becomes key there. With Louis and Carimi's injury history I don't know if I can count on them to start. If my medical staff thinks Louis will be ready, he's a reasonable starting option...but there needs to be an additional guard brought in, an improved backup guard to cover for if Louis goes down again...and there needs to be a plan for what to do if Carimi isn't any better next year...better than the complete failure that happened this year.

If Louis comes back, the right way to do it might be 1 guard, 1 tackle (one of which is free agent, one of which is a first or second round pick). That fills the empty guard position and provides an additional tackle in the event that Carimi is as bad as he was last year or Webb goes down.

Of course, it's also plausible that the staff is ready to cut ties with Carimi after last season, and I won't be complaining if they make that call, and its also plausible they don't think Louis will recover in a reasonable amount of time, at which point, they have Webb and Garza as the only 2 guys who can even be penciled in to next year's line. In that case, they legitimately need 4+ bodies.

Then I guess were on the same page