Extend Cutler?

scs787

I personally think Cutler gives us the best chance to win for years to come. The FA market next year blows and with our aging defense I'd hate to go with a rookie.

I agree totally as no one here is a bigger fan of his than I am but I do not think giving him an extension is smart. What if he never improves or doesn't get along with Trestman and Kromer? Also, he'll want more than his current deal and that'll hurt this cap space.

I agree totally as no one here is a bigger fan of his than I am but I do not think giving him an extension is smart. What if he never improves or doesn't get along with Trestman and Kromer? Also, he'll want more than his current deal and that'll hurt this cap space.

I was thinking back load it and give him a big signing bonus. A Matt Ryan-esque contract where he made 295k with a 6mill bonus would be pretty rad. It won't happen but something like that would be nice .....I'm sure Marc and Kromer have some time to get to know him before they make the decision. It's a bit of a bold move that could be beneficial if Cutler does indeed take off this season.

I'm right there with you as one of his biggest fans and I believe there is a plethora of reasons why he will be great next year and in the future.....

1. Marc Trestman

2. Moving back to a west coast offense

3. The use of backs in said WCO

4. Progress from Jeffery

5. Upgraded OL and scheme

6. Adding a TE that can catch the ball.

I think if you sign him before the season you could be saving 5 mill a year.

I'm right there with you as one of his biggest fans and I believe there is a plethora of reasons why he will be great next year and in the future.....

I think if you sign him before the season you could be saving 5 mill a year.

I agree. He hypothetically wouldn't command that much on the free market right now, which hurts his negotiating. He's already played through his twenties and the closest he's gotten to looking like a top QB was his first full season to start...a long time ago at this point. And think of it this way...if Trestman doesn't improve the offense, then who cares? We're not going anywhere with or without Cutler. If he does though, Cutler will probably benefit the most and he'll be markedly more expensive next year. Sometimes you gotta take risks.

Thing is, I don't think Cutler will want to do an extension, just like Flacco didn't want to this past year, because Cutler knows all this too.

I agree. He hypothetically wouldn't command that much on the free market right now, which hurts his negotiating. He's already played through his twenties and the closest he's gotten to looking like a top QB was his first full season to start...a long time ago at this point. And think of it this way...if Trestman doesn't improve the offense, then who cares? We're not going anywhere with or without Cutler. If he does though, Cutler will probably benefit the most and he'll be markedly more expensive next year. Sometimes you gotta take risks.

Thing is, I don't think Cutler will want to do an extension, just like Flacco didn't want to this past year, because Cutler knows all this too.

Ya, I think you may be right which is why I proposed the "Would he do it knowing he could take a step forward and make more money if he waits?" question ...Wishful thinking really.

They'll have the money to resign him after next year regardless but getting it done now would save some $$ in my opinion

I would wait to see what happens this season. If he doesn't get any better, franchise him, draft a young QB in next year's draft, and then make the decision on Cutler after the following year. You'll either have to re-sign him long term, trade him, or let him walk with a new QB hopefully ready to take over. A Superbowl appearance, barring a Rex Grossman esque debacle, should warrant a long term extension.