Spaeth

Ed Hochuli 3:16

In the analysis by Pro Football Focus of the position, Kellen Davis ranks near the bottom, which is what you would expect after a poor season for him that he acknowledged wasn’t good enough.

What might surprise you – a lot – is that Matt Spaeth ranked seventh overall. Yes, 7th.

Spaeth was considered the best run blocker at the position in the entire league by PFF. He was tied for 16th in terms of pass blocking and while he was barely involved as a receiver, the data added up to rank him 10th. Now, I am sure everyone would prefer to have players that ranked below Spaeth on the roster – guys like Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Greg Olsen, Kyle Rudolph, Delanie Walker and Owen Daniels among many – but it is evidence that in his role, Spaeth performed well. He’s never going to be a playmaker as a receiver, but asked to block, he blocked well.

The tight ends analysis will be out later this week and cornerbacks are up Monday. Check out ProFootballFocus.com for more of their information.

per PFF

I wouldn't mind him staying but I think we can bring in a blocking TE for dirt cheap.

What it all boils down to is..Is Spaeths run blocking ability worth 1.5 mill over a guy like Brody Eldridge who can give you a lot of the same thing and ~500k?

We should keep Spaeth as long as Davis gets cut. Spaeth will be on his last year and he is valuable. He was rarely counted on to be a recieving threat. If the Bears asked him do more as a WR, he can produce like he did when Davis was basically benched at the end of the season.

We should keep Spaeth as long as Davis gets cut. Spaeth will be on his last year and he is valuable. He was rarely counted on to be a recieving threat. If the Bears asked him do more as a WR, he can produce like he did when Davis was basically benched at the end of the season.

He is a good blocker, ok receiver. If we can do better-cheaper I will be for dumping him.

The bold never happened but I'm sure he could if needed just because of how bad Davis was....Spaeth had a grand total of 10 targets last year with 3 of those coming against the Texans in week 10. He caught them all, those 3 catches accounted for half of his catches on the year.....After those 3 targets/catches in week 10 he managed a whole 2 targets more in 7 weeks.