Johnny Knox released and retires

GakMan23

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already acknowledged that most of the guys i had listed were ST guys, but there's a few guys like the Arizona State guys that were WRs used in the offense...Perhaps AZ can enlighten us on them since he commented on the the ASU guy we just signed yesterday (I assume he watches them a bit).

I wasn't so much as comparing the 2 WR corps as I was trying to say speed isn't everything. The Pack had slower WRs than us and they did pretty good right? I think the 5 wide you speak of that they used included Finley because their 5th WR had 8 receptions. If we can grab a speedy TE (I would wet myself for Gavin Escobar or Toilolo) and grab a 5th rounder to be the #5 receiver there's your 5 wide set. Evan Rodriguez, who's faster than Finley could probably line up outside but I have this feeling he'll be used as an H-Back who will play a role in the pass game.

Look, I'm not saying I'll be mad or anything if they grab a FA WR or take one in the later rounds (even the 4th I'm fine with) but 1st or 2nd no thank you. With the way Trestman likes to utilize the backs if we can grab a TE then we have plenty enough weapons to spread the ball around.

I absolutely do not see WR as a position of need on this team. Oline, TE, linebacker, dline all come first.

Peace :dabears

What? They will only have 3 receivers on the roster next year besides Weems after Hester is cut. They lack a speed threat to take the top off the defense. You can't count on Bennett to stay healthy either. To say they don't need another receiver is not accurate. I'm not saying they have to spend a 1st round pick on a receiver, but they do need to find at least one who will be an important part of the offense next year.

What? They will only have 3 receivers on the roster next year besides Weems after Hester is cut. They lack a speed threat to take the top off the defense. You can't count on Bennett to stay healthy either. To say they don't need another receiver is not accurate. I'm not saying they have to spend a 1st round pick on a receiver, but they do need to find at least one who will be an important part of the offense next year.

Offensive line has to be the priority. Cutler has plenty of tools. Get him some blocking.

Of course, it's one of the many priorities. Cutler has Marshall and Forte, and not a lot else. There is no speed. We need that.

Cutler has Marshall, Forte (who is a great receiving back), Bush, Jeffrey and Bennett. Weems is fine as a #5 receiver. I don't mind adding a receiver once the other positions I have identified have been addressed.

OK now you question our WR's against the Packers. So lets look at them

Marshall=Nelson winner Marshall

Bennett=Jones tie for what they do

Hester=Cobb winner Cobb he was use more and in better situations

Jeffrey=Jennings winner Jennings because Jeffrey was a rookie

Now GB uses a 5 wide WR set, we don't so they can play a certain scheme without worrying about the one guy

taking the top off the back of the defense. Now if we had let just say a Mike Wallace speed guy that drew respect from the defense then we have a better passing lane underneath like the Packers use

There is no way you can say Cobb > Hester only because he was used in better spots. Stop. Randall Cobb is a great, versatile NFL WR who any team would love to have. He'd instantly be the Bears' #2.

Also, Jones > Bennett and it's not close. Jones caught almost everything thrown at him and stepped up big time when Nelson and Jennings were hurt.

Trying to say that the Bears WR's equal or almost equal the Packers' guys is pretty stupid.

Cutler has Marshall, Forte (who is a great receiving back), Bush, Jeffrey and Bennett. Weems is fine as a #5 receiver. I don't mind adding a receiver once the other positions I have identified have been addressed.

Plus he should have new TE and/or Evan Rodriguez

I think people are really underestimating the factors the backs will play in the passing game. (In my opinion anyway)

The Saints, valid comparison, had-

Marques Colston- 83 REC- 4.50- 7th Round

Lance Moore- 65 REC- Ran a 4.55- UDFA

Devery Henderson-22REC- 4.41- 2 RD

Joe Morgan- 10 REC- 4.40- UDFA

RB/FBs- 143 REC!

no other WR had more than 10 REC.

No, we probably won't get anyone near as good as Jimmy Graham but they don't really have anyone near Brandon Marshall.

You don't need 5 good WRs or even 4 to have an explosive offense.

The above also shows you can find talent in the later rounds as 3 of the 4 Saints WRs were either 7th round draft picks or not drafted at all. I'm calling for a 5th or 6th round pick.

Plus he should have new TE and/or Evan Rodriguez

I think people are really underestimating the factors the backs will play in the passing game. (In my opinion anyway)

The Saints, valid comparison, had-

Marques Colston- 83 REC- 4.50- 7th Round

Lance Moore- 65 REC- Ran a 4.55- UDFA

Devery Henderson-22REC- 4.41- 2 RD

Joe Morgan- 10 REC- 4.40- UDFA

RB/FBs- 143 REC!

no other WR had more than 10 REC.

No, we probably won't get anyone near as good as Jimmy Graham but they don't really have anyone near Brandon Marshall.

You don't need 5 good WRs or even 4 to have an explosive offense.

The above also shows you can find talent in the later rounds as 3 of the 4 Saints WRs were either 7th round draft picks or not drafted at all. I'm calling for a 5th or 6th round pick.

You can't score points all the time just by doing dinks and dunks all game long. You NEED a speed threat in an offense to keep them honest. Someone has to be able to separate from coverage and take the top off a defense. We currently have nobody who can do that.

You can't score points all the time just by doing dinks and dunks all game long. You NEED a speed threat in an offense to keep them honest. Someone has to be able to separate from coverage and take the top off a defense. We currently have nobody who can do that.

I don't think the Pats, Pack or Saints had a burner. Just sayin...

OK now you question our WR's against the Packers. So lets look at them

Marshall=Nelson winner Marshall

Bennett=Jones tie for what they do

Hester=Cobb winner Cobb he was use more and in better situations

Jeffrey=Jennings winner Jennings because Jeffrey was a rookie

Now GB uses a 5 wide WR set, we don't so they can play a certain scheme without worrying about the one guy

taking the top off the back of the defense. Now if we had let just say a Mike Wallace speed guy that drew respect from the defense then we have a better passing lane underneath like the Packers use

Bennett - Jones tie? are you insane, Jones had 14 TDs this year.

Already acknowledged that most of the guys i had listed were ST guys, but there's a few guys like the Arizona State guys that were WRs used in the offense...Perhaps AZ can enlighten us on them since he commented on the the ASU guy we just signed yesterday (I assume he watches them a bit).

I wasn't so much as comparing the 2 WR corps as I was trying to say speed isn't everything. The Pack had slower WRs than us and they did pretty good right? I think the 5 wide you speak of that they used included Finley because their 5th WR had 8 receptions. If we can grab a speedy TE (I would wet myself for Gavin Escobar or Toilolo) and grab a 5th rounder to be the #5 receiver there's your 5 wide set. Evan Rodriguez, who's faster than Finley could probably line up outside but I have this feeling he'll be used as an H-Back who will play a role in the pass game.

Look, I'm not saying I'll be mad or anything if they grab a FA WR or take one in the later rounds (even the 4th I'm fine with) but 1st or 2nd no thank you. With the way Trestman likes to utilize the backs if we can grab a TE then we have plenty enough weapons to spread the ball around.

Unfortunately my work schedule changed over a year ago and so I don't get to watch many college football games. I've seen some of ASU's games but not enough to comment on either WR mentioned but that's in part because they never really stood out. Which is also why they are listed as potential late round picks.

I believe finding a TE passing threat is more important to our offense than adding a speed WR. I see the early pick being used for TE and late Rd pick used for WR.

For WR I think we will see both...a low budget FA like Ogletree who can compete with Bennett and a late Rd pick to complete the WR corps. I was impressed with the UDFA talent at WR Emery brought in last year after the draft. Not to say they were gems but he seemed to find guys that could genuinely compete for the last roster spot. I tend to think he'll do alright finding a WR late in the draft.

The dinks and dunks are what open things up for the passing game to take deep shots. It brings the safeties in and keeps the corners on their toes waiting for the receiver to break it off. Look at Lance Moore, he ran a 4.55, yet he was 10th in the league with 16 yards per catch. Speed isn't everything, scheme is.

The dinks and dunks are what open things up for the passing game to take deep shots. It brings the safeties in and keeps the corners on their toes waiting for the receiver to break it off. Look at Lance Moore, he ran a 4.55, yet he was 10th in the league with 16 yards per catch. Speed isn't everything, scheme is.

Well the Saints do have Devery Henderson, and they had Robert Meachum before he signed with San Diego. You have to have a receiver capable of beating somebody deep. Like I said, you can't always score tochdowns in 8-10+ play drives. Especially if you are down in the scoreboard. Speed is the great equalizer. The Bears are slow on offense. Marshall, Jeffery, Forte, Bennett, none of them are burners. Bush? Please.. We had this ingredient in 2011 with Knox, and he was huge, in terms of catching passes down field. For all the criticism I've given him over the years, he was probably the main reason, aside from horrendous play calling, that hurt the Bears offense this year. When you have nobody that can pick up yards in chunks, it is very difficult to score points consistently.

Yup, Devery Henderson with his 22 REC, 21 yards per game, and a 40 time that was .04 better than Jefferys 10 years ago....Jeffery averaged more YPC than Devery so your point is moot from that standpoint.

Way to ignore most of the post. Devery Henderson is much more of a down field threat than Alshon. They are two drastically different players. Jeffery is the possession type, whereas Henderson, and Meachum (whom I see you did not mention) are threats to go deep.

The Saints have, and even more so in the past with Meachum, a very nice mix of different skill sets between their skill players, which is why they are so dynamic on offense. The Bears don't have any guys that compliment each other. Everything is the same. Marshall and Jeffery are the same type of receiver, Forte isn't a home run threat the way Darren Sproles is, Bennett is a 3rd down chain mover.. There needs to be more guys that bring different things to the table in this offense. Knox would have helped a ton, had he been healthy. But I guess you're trying to make the case that we didn't need him, or another receiver very similar, because everything is fine. I thought this was a given to people who watch these games, but apparently I was wrong.

I didn't mention Meachum because he wasn't part of my argument, I was comparing last years team.

If Devery Henderson is a deep threat then why can't Alshon? I'm sure Henderson doesn't run a that 4.41 he did 10 years ago, Jeffery ran a fresh 4.44/4.45. Lance Moore is more of a deep threat on the Saints and he ran a 4.55.

For your last little comment, I've said in almost every one of my posts in this thread that they can spend a 5th or 6th on another WR. My point in all this is they don't need to spend a high pick or spend big money on a WR.

Jeffery had catches of 55, 42, 35, and 30.

I didn't mention Meachum because he wasn't part of my argument, I was comparing last years team.

If Devery Henderson is a deep threat then why can't Alshon? I'm sure Henderson doesn't run a that 4.41 he did 10 years ago, Jeffery ran a fresh 4.44/4.45. Lance Moore is more of a deep threat on the Saints and he ran a 4.55.

For your last little comment, I've said in almost every one of my posts in this thread that they can spend a 5th or 6th on another WR. My point in all this is they don't need to spend a high pick or spend big money on a WR.

I agree with you, a latter round pick can get you a speed guy, for a 5th WR you dont need to use you first three picks as you have more pressing needs.

Jeffrey isn't a home run hitter. Never has been. Sure 40 is nice but its not everything. What's his biggest flaw back in college and coming into pros? Separation. Hes never been great at creating separation.

In general anyone who thinks we don't need a speed wr and spits out 40 times of current guys then obviously doesn't watch games. A persons 40 time is so overrated. WR need ability to separate. DBs it comes down to footwork and angles. Can we please get off a persons 40 time

And they can get their Joe Morgan speedster to catch 10 passes in the 6th round....I'm not saying they don't need another receiver, I'm saying they don't need to waste a top pick on a guy in the 2nd.

I've seen every game, they need a TE way more than they need someone to "blow the roof off". We're moving to a west coast offense, the dink and dunk will open things up down the field for all our guys including Marshall.

Jeffrey isn't a home run hitter. Never has been. Sure 40 is nice but its not everything. What's his biggest flaw back in college and coming into pros? Separation. Hes never been great at creating separation.

In general anyone who thinks we don't need a speed wr and spits out 40 times of current guys then obviously doesn't watch games. A persons 40 time is so overrated. WR need ability to separate. DBs it comes down to footwork and angles. Can we please get off a persons 40 time

Your right about the 40 time not being the main attraction, but in the NFL speed matters. a 4.55 guy aint the same as a 4.33 guy.