trestmen talks

bowlingtwig

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trestmen talked today and said he has spoken with hester but only in a "get to know" type talk. He also said he spoke with Url for 30-40 mins and Url mentioned that he wants to return. Him and tucker also confirmed that we will stick with 4-3 base defens. Good move IMO

they dont have a choice, they dont have the personal to run a 3-4.

What exactly does a guy who blows the top of the defense do?

When I think blows the top off I think of a guy who gets down the field quickly to stretch the D....They don't run complicated routes or do the thing that annoys us the most about Hester, running backwards.

The "Hester package" was stupid, he was utilized terribly last year.

When I think blows the top off I think of a guy who gets down the field quickly to stretch the D....They don't run complicated routes or do the thing that annoys us the most about Hester, running backwards.

A person who can get behind the DBs and when he gets chances makes the catch. As trestman has said in past "playmaker". Hester has playmaking ability but dude simply can't catch. Great returner but a horrible WR. Can't trust him

Just like what bears4ever has said. Only Marshall could consistently make plays last yr out of all WRs. Bennett always hurt. Jeffrey was hurt most of yr and is really young still. Hester no hands nd weems is only a returner. My point is to keep ur options open and not ignore wr. I dont believe that WR will be in top half of draft but what if a guy like tavon Austin or coraddele Patterson falls to us late 2nd. Do u completely ignore them just because OL or LB or TE is a bigger need. That's a stupid way to draft. Draft best player available at a position of need. That simple. I do believe it would be 4 or 5th rd before we address WR but gotta keep mind open. Just like if by some miracle 1 of top fa wr wanted to come here so bad that he would accept 2-4 mil a yr. U gonna say no thanks

He can catch the ball to the extent that DBs gotta cover him and that's what we're looking for right? Someone to stretch the D who would open up more room in the middle of the field..A deep THREAT.

To go back to the Saints example....Joe Morgan only cought 10 balls....I think Hester can duplicate that.

Just like what bears4ever has said. Only Marshall could consistently make plays last yr out of all WRs. Bennett always hurt. Jeffrey was hurt most of yr and is really young still. Hester no hands nd weems is only a returner. My point is to keep ur options open and not ignore wr. I dont believe that WR will be in top half of draft but what if a guy like tavon Austin or coraddele Patterson falls to us late 2nd. Do u completely ignore them just because OL or LB or TE is a bigger need. That's a stupid way to draft. Draft best player available at a position of need. That simple. I do believe it would be 4 or 5th rd before we address WR but gotta keep mind open. Just like if by some miracle 1 of top fa wr wanted to come here so bad that he would accept 2-4 mil a yr. U gonna say no thanks

As of right now, depending what they do in FA. Those 3 positions you mentioned are starters. If you grab a 2nd round WR then you're looking at a 5th round starting OL, LB, or TE.

As of right now, depending what they do in FA. Those 3 positions you mentioned are starters. If you grab a 2nd round WR then you're looking at a 5th round starting OL, LB, or TE.

So you're 100% against drafting any other position in 1st 3 picks outside of OL, LB, TE regardless of what happens during draft and regardless of who else is available. Glad your not gm.

I think you just answered your own question. There is no way to utilize Devin Hester in an offense because he can't play.

Hurray for a #4 receiver in the 2nd round!

If the Bears draft a receiver early this year, I don't think he's not going to be a #4 receiver, at least in the long term. Think GB and Randall Cobb and all he's able to do on the field after the Packers took him with a 2nd round pick when they didn't necessarily need a receiver. Keep in mind Trestman's offense might utilize more 4-5 WR sets which increases the value of needing more quality receivers, and the more use you get out of the pick.

Uh, I'm pretty sure Hester can get down the field quickly still. Telling him to run down the field, on a simple go or slant route really simplifies things.

Typically West Coast Offenses utilize 3 receivers.

Positional Breakdowns

As is evident from the general features, the quarterback is the key to a West Coast offense. You can't run this type of offense successfully with a quarterback that can't make quick reads and sharp, precise passes. As a result, certain quarterbacks in the league aren't suited for - and as a result should never play in - a West Coast offense. While they aren't necessarily but can be the main focus of the offense, running backs and tight ends are also key as they are relied on to catch a lot of passes more so than other schemes. These positions might not be main targets (or hot reads) on every play, but they must run routes and are often used as fallbacks or check-downs in case the hot read is not open.

The focal point and key to a successful West Coast offense, though, is the wide receiver position. Unlike other offenses, wide receivers fit into a different terminology of positions on the field. West Coast receivers have to be excellent at gaining yards after the reception, something that made retired NFL great Jerry Rice such a lethal wide receiver for the better part of two decades. They include:

Split End: This position is generally reserved for a more possession-type receiver that has a good release off the line, because the split end must line up on the line of scrimmage on the weak side of the field.

Flanker: This position gives the receiver more freedom, since he doesn't line up on the line of scrimmage and can go in motion to the weak side of the field. An illegal formation penalty will be called if there is not a wideout on the weak side of the play, whereas the tight end on the power side is on the line of scrimmage. The flanker is not technically reserved for a speedy receiver, but it does give smaller, speedier receivers more room to work.

Slot: The newer versions of the West Coast offense often use a third receiver placed in the slot instead of a second tight end. Slot receivers are generally smaller, speedier players that have trouble beating press coverage. However, some teams may use bigger players to offset this.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/article/73828/488#ixzz2Kv6O355Z

Have you seen Devin Hester run north and south? Thats all he has to do.

I can run north and south, and pretty fast. Maybe I could play receiver?

It takes a lot more than being able to run in a straight line. Hester can't play because he does not possess the skills of an NFL caliber receiver. Certainly not a player you can trust. This has been proven over the past 6 years.

He possesses the skills to be a #4 receiver in a offense that won't use a #4 that often.

Actually, no he doesn't. He is a bad WR. In an offense that will pass a lot, you will need more WR's who can catch the football, and be at the right place at the right time, who also have a better IQ of understanding how to separate from coverage consistently. If Tavon Austin or somebody we take (if we take) early on in the draft, he's likely going to be taking Earl Bennett's place and will see the field more often.

Actually, no he doesn't. He is a bad WR. In an offense that will pass a lot, you will need more WR's who can catch the football, and be at the right place at the right time, who also have a better IQ of understanding how to separate from coverage consistently. If Tavon Austin or somebody we take (if we take) early on in the draft, he's likely going to be taking Earl Bennett's place.

Thank you. Starting to wonder if he watches games or just highlights here

He possesses the skills to be a #4 receiver in a offense that won't use a #4 that often.

But I also think a 5th or 6th round draft pick can too and at a much cheaper clip.

Now your assuming we will hardly use 4 WRs. That means in your head we can be a #1 offense with marshall, jefrey and Bennett this yr. Willing to bet on this. Seems like u have it all figured out and our problem last yr was all OL and play calling and in ur mind webb is a good LT. How come your not a GM

Or I've read too much about the west coast offense...

No West Coast offense is the same for everyone. Every team that uses those principles have their own version of how they run it. Greenbay, the Saints, the Patriots, and others run some semblance of a West coast scheme. Those teams like to spread you out and make other team's linebackers cover the slot receivers. Some teams like the Seahawks go with more of a power attack, and open things up with play action.

It remains to be seen what Trestman will bring to this team. One thing I know is that Trestman likes to play the matchup game. So there is going to be many of times where you could see players playing in different spots depending on what the gameplan is. Just because some guy is labeled as a #4 doesn't mean he can't get on the field when we're in a 2-3 WR formation.