trestmen talks

bowlingtwig

He's done much better than what a #4 WR would be required to do, which is make plays that are "few and far between." I understand saying the dude isn't a #1, or even a #2, but you're making it out like he's actually retarded or handicapped. Please familiarize yourself with his stats. Talk about someone who doesn't own a TV. It's as if you missed the average of 36 receptions per year since his rookie season.

Rofl. Yes I see his stats. I don't know how this helps your argument, but I see them nevertheless. What I see isn't particularly good either. I see a guy who has had very little impact as a receiver, whether that is as a #1, #2, or #4. The arrow on his career is most certainly trending downward as he eclipses 30 years of age. The last two seasons especially have been completely forgettable.

Now you're being extra stupid. Wallace is considered a #1 because he does much more than just run the go route. Have you even watched a Steeler game?! You've got to stop with this ridiculous comparison nonsense. I'll go ahead and link some Wallace highlights so you can enlighten yourself, but nobody is even remotely insinuating the two are the same. Hester would be required to do very little as the #4. His job would be to run fast. That's about it. They may ask him to run a deep post or something like that, but essentially his job as a #4 speed guy would be to threaten the safeties. He most certainly has the speed to do that. And GTFO of here with that Kellen Davis BS.

The Wallace comparison was more of an example of your shoddy attempt to try to heighten Hester's value in what you consider a threat. If I'm scraping towards the bottom of the barell for my stretch receiver, then I'd absolutely want Devin Hester as my guy. He's been as much of a factor in our passing game as Kellen Davis has been the past few seasons.

Davis- 37 receptions, 435 yards, 7 touchdowns last two seasons

Hester- 49 receptions, 611 yards, 2 touchdowns last two seasons

Just to give you a little perspective on what I consider to be a REAL threat-- Devery Henderson in his prime was putting up seasons where his catch averages were 23.3, 20.5, and 24.8 yards per catch. THAT is production from a guy who has never been anything more than a specialty player. To put it in comparison with Devin Hester, he has put up averages of 14.2, 13.3, and 15.0 (second season) in his best years. Johnny Knox was at 19.6 and 18.8 his last two years..

So yeah, there's being a threat, and then there's being a better threat, and producing at a much more efficient clip.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck finding that guy....There's been 4 guys in the last 5 years to average over 20 YPC. Hesters YPC has been skewed by the stupid screens they always throw him.

If the Saints replaced Henderson with Hester and put him in Devery's role, I could almost guarantee you he would come no where close to averaging 20 YPC. I would be satisfied with a guy that could get you 17. Knox was a little better than that, which is why I've said in the other thread that him being gone was a big loss.

If the Saints replaced Henderson with Hester and put him in Devery's role, I could almost guarantee you he would come no where close to averaging 20 YPC. I would be satisfied with a guy that could get you 17. Knox was a little better than that, which is why I've said in the other thread that him being gone was a big loss.

4 guys in the NFL had more than 17 ypc last year....I'm sure a lot of teams share that wish.

Is Tavon Austin gonna come in the league and do what only 4 guys did last year??? Doubtful.

Like I said his averages are skewed by the stupid screens they used....

Week 1- -2

Week 4- 2, 2

Week 5- 5,5

Week 8- 5

Week 9- 5

Week 10- 0

Week 14- 1, 6

That's almost half (10 of 23) of his catches on short little garbage plays. 10 catches for 29 yards. That means he had 13 for 213 yds or 16.3 ypc

Hester shouldn't be catching any balls under 5 yards.

Nice try.

Actually, there were 5 players that have caught at least 20 or more passes last year who were over the 17 YPC mark, and several more who were within .5 or less. Nevermind the fact that we had one of those guys who's did it twice in 3 years as a 5th round draft pick.

14 players in 2011 had averages at or over 17 ypc, and 8 more were within .5 of that number.

Please continue to try and find more ways to make Hester look like a better receiver than he really is. And no, I don't think Tavon Austin would be one of those guys because he would be a slot receiver that caught a lot of passes inside the numbers, which he would then turn into yards after the catch. He's not a one trick pony.

My apologies for using a site that used 30 receptions as the cut off.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-sta...yards-per-catch

Oh and way to continue to avoid the stupid screen stats i threw at you.

I'm not trying to make him look any better than a #4 or a #3 in a pinch...That's all I'm saying

30 doesn't change the number much. I used 20 because I was looking at one of Henderson's seasons. It's not really that unfathomable to believe we could find a receiver who could be a more reliable deep threat than Devin Hester. Like I said, we just had one in Knox before he went down with a career ending injury. If they decide to keep Hester, I would hope he is only used on kickoffs and punts.

As for the Tavon Austin question. I don't consider him a one trick pony. He's not someone who will be running down field all the time. He's going to be used in a lot of different ways rather than just one. Sort of like a Randall Cobb.

30 doesn't change the number much. I used 20 because I was looking at one of Henderson's seasons. It's not really that unfathomable to believe we could find a receiver who could be a more reliable deep threat than Devin Hester. Like I said, we just had one in Knox before he went down with a career ending injury. If they decide to keep Hester, I would hope he is only used on kickoffs and punts.

I agree with the bold, and I believe that could be found around the round that Knox was drafted, the 5th.

All I've said is I wouldn't be disappointed if he's brought back, I haven't exactly called for him to stay.

If he does stay I believe he can get done what needs to get done, but I also think a 5th or 6th rounder would too.

---

I've never called Austin a one trick pony or called him a bad player or anything. He would be nice to have but I believe we have bigger needs in the 2nd round. With us not having a 3rd rounder there has got to be a player we like there in the 2nd.

Also once more, this is all just how I feel now, before free agency. TEs are gonna play a big role on the team next year, if they can't get on in free agency then we need to go with one early. If they can grab a TE in FA then that knocks out one of the big needs and then I'll start to entertain the idea of a WR in the 2nd.

I'm assuming most our money will go towards Melton and an OL piece.

I agree with the bold, and I believe that could be found around the round that Knox was drafted, the 5th.

All I've said is I wouldn't be disappointed if he's brought back, I haven't exactly called for him to stay.

If he does stay I believe he can get done what needs to get done, but I also think a 5th or 6th rounder would too.

---

I've never called Austin a one trick pony or called him a bad player or anything. He would be nice to have but I believe we have bigger needs in the 2nd round. With us not having a 3rd rounder there has got to be a player we like there in the 2nd.

Also once more, this is all just how I feel now, before free agency. TEs are gonna play a big role on the team next year, if they can't get on in free agency then we need to go with one early. If they can grab a TE in FA then that knocks out one of the big needs and then I'll start to entertain the idea of a WR in the 2nd.

I'm assuming most our money will go towards Melton and an OL piece.

Its so obvious u completely miss my point all over again so never mind its obvious u won't ever get it either

If they spend all their money on Melton and a top tier OL piece then you need to fill at least 1 OL piece, at least 1 LB position, and 1 TE. If you go WR in the 2nd the that means one of those are being drafted in the 5th. I guess I wouldn't be mad with the decision to grab a starting OL piece in the 5th with the success Kromer but I'm sure we'll hear a lot of bitchin elsewhere.

If they spend all their money on Melton and a top tier OL piece then you need to fill at least 1 OL piece, at least 1 LB position, and 1 TE. If you go WR in the 2nd the that means one of those are being drafted in the 5th. I guess I wouldn't be mad with the decision to grab a starting OL piece in the 5th with the success Kromer but I'm sure we'll hear a lot of bitchin elsewhere.

The Bears 5 biggest needs, IMO, are T, G, LB, TE, and DT (keeping Melton). They need to sign a G or T + keep Melton. In the draft, their first 3 rounds need to be G or T (whichever they don't get in FA), TE, and LB, in whatever order.

No one is saying a speed WR needs to be taken in round 2, but it's hard to argue against picking Tavon Austin if he's there. He reminds me a lot of Randall Cobb. However, if it's him or Barrett Jones/Larry Warford/Kyle Long (if they don't get a G in FA), I'd take one of those three instead.

The Bears 5 biggest needs, IMO, are T, G, LB, TE, and DT (keeping Melton). They need to sign a G or T + keep Melton. In the draft, their first 3 rounds need to be G or T (whichever they don't get in FA), TE, and LB, in whatever order.

No one is saying a speed WR needs to be taken in round 2, but it's hard to argue against picking Tavon Austin if he's there. He reminds me a lot of Randall Cobb. However, if it's him or Barrett Jones/Larry Warford/Kyle Long (if they don't get a G in FA), I'd take one of those three instead.

Which is Twigs point too, I get that, and it's not a bad philosophy I just think with no 3rd round pick there's gotta be a few guys they like more than a WR. There's bound to be a TE/OL/LB there IMO.

Which is Twigs point too, I get that, and it's not a bad philosophy I just think with no 3rd round pick there's gotta be a few guys they like more than a WR. There's bound to be a TE/OL/LB there IMO.

What if they sign LeVitre and take Johnson in round 1, Ertz and Eifert are gone in round 2, and they extend Urlacher and Roach?

What if they sign LeVitre and take Johnson in round 1, Ertz and Eifert are gone in round 2, and they extend Urlacher and Roach?

I'm a huge Gavin Escobar fan and I'd think about him in the 2nd. Guys like Kelce and Toilolo might not make it to us in the 4th....We need an impact TE before an impact WR.

My take on Hester is he went from being a player without a position to a DB to a KR extraordinaire to being paid to be a number 1 WR. Not his fault but if he was successful at it Marshall wouldn't be here or Jeffrey. He is too moody and if he is not involved in the game early he sulks and disappears. In the last 2 season the one thing he excels at he has been mediocre at best and that is returns. I like the thought of drafting either Marquise Goodwin Texas or Kenjon Barner of Oregon to be eihter a guy that stretches the field Goodwin or a guy that can help create mismatches on LBs with Barner.

My take on Hester is he went from being a player without a position to a DB to a KR extraordinaire to being paid to be a number 1 WR. Not his fault but if he was successful at it Marshall wouldn't be here or Jeffrey. He is too moody and if he is not involved in the game early he sulks and disappears. In the last 2 season the one thing he excels at he has been mediocre at best and that is returns. I like the thought of drafting either Marquise Goodwin Texas or Kenjon Barner of Oregon to be eihter a guy that stretches the field Goodwin or a guy that can help create mismatches on LBs with Barner.

I've thought about Barner for awhile now and it's really an intriguing thought. He could be our Darren Sproles. I'd love the pick, I'm not to sure we have enough picks though. If he falls to the 5th I'd be all over him.

I've thought about Barner for awhile now and it's really an intriguing thought. He could be our Darren Sproles. I'd love the pick, I'm not to sure we have enough picks though. If he falls to the 5th I'd be all over him.

Agreed but Emery proved last year he is not afraid to trade up for someone he likes.

Agreed but Emery proved last year he is not afraid to trade up for someone he likes.

Unless a team wants to take a future pick it'll be hard to trade up. Trading down out of the 1st for a 2nd and 3rd would be fantastic. There's a ton of OL depth this year and that's what we need, trading down into the high 2nd round you're still gonna get a high quality OL piece and you pick up more picks to play with. That's really the best case IMO.

If they can't get it done and can't grab Barner another guy to keep an eye on is Onterio McCalleb.

He's faster than Barner and had this to say...

“My plan is to go the NFL Combine and run the fastest time. “But I have hands, too. I’m not necessarily just a running back. I can play slot receiver.”

Right now he's slotted in the 7th round so he could be a good 6th round pick as our #3 RB. Armando Allen and Kahlil Bell are both slower backs like Bush so an added speed element in the back field would be a plus.

I dont think Kromer turned a late round pick into a starter in one season, we need the production immediately not a year or two from now. When means the first player taken in FAgency and the first or second round pick.

Um, it's incredibly easy to argue against Tavon Austin if he's there. Again, this is about three options:

1) Pure BPA

2) BPA based on positions of need in order of need

3) Positions of need regardless of BPA

There is no freaking way in hell one of a handful of very good players from the Bears' positions of need are not there. You've mentioned three likely targets. There are several others.

If the Bears are just using #1, then maybe it's a reason to draft Austin in the second. But I would hate it. #2 is the only relevant drafting strategy in my mind, unless, of course, you already know someone is going to turn into the next superstar (nobody knows this).