Jared Cook

Guest TerraTor

He woulda been a great pick up....Word out of the Martellus Bennett camp is if he doesn't resign with the Giants then he'd like to play with his brother who is supposed to be resigned by the Bucs. Fred Davis is looking to get paid and he might not even play the first few games. Keller is not really a guy you can split out wide, he can be put there but he's inefficient there (1.19 yards per route run which is 31st in the league).

So it looks like it's going to boil down to...

A. Fred Davis who wants a 5/25 deal, is recovering from a achilles injury, and may start the year on the PUP list

B. Dustin Keller who doesn't really fit the mold of what the Bears want

C. Taking a TE early...Someone like Escobar/Kelce/Toilolo

D. Evan Rodriguez

I'd like a combo of C and D.

I don't think we have the funds to sign a FA TE unless we completely neglect some other area of need. I assume that we will address TE in the draft.

I believe you are correct sir. With what was said in the thread I posted earlier about the TE position we really need to address it early and get a guy who's gonna make an impact.

They are going to use THAT much money on Jared Cook? :shakehead

That's not really that much, at all. Cook is a dynamite TE.

Zach Miller is the highest paid TE in the NFL(5/34), his best year he had 66 catches for 805 yds. Cooks best year was 49 catches for 759. Miller had 20 more targets that year.

Oh, and John Carlson got a 5/25 deal after being way less productive than Cook. TEs are vogue right now, they're gonna get paid.

That's not really that much, at all. Cook is a dynamite TE.

Zach Miller is the highest paid TE in the NFL(5/34), his best year he had 66 catches for 805 yds. Cooks best year was 49 catches for 759. Miller had 20 more targets that year.

Oh, and John Carlson got a 5/25 deal after being way less productive than Cook. TEs are vogue right now, they're gonna get paid.

Jared Cook is not a dynamite TE. If Jared Cook is "dynamite," what is Gronkowski?

Cook is a career underachiever. He showed tons of promise but never quite developed into a great TE. Had he hit the open market, he would've been lucky to get $5m/year. He's also a headcase.

I found things Titans' fans say about him on PFT, The Tennessean's website, and footballsfuture's Titans' board: awesome talent, inconsistent, malcontent, bandaid until we find better options, has shown no promise.

Walterfootball has him as a 2.5 star FA (out of 5) and says: "Jared Cook has tons of potential, but has never developed. He hauled in 49 receptions for 759 yards in 2011, but regressed this past season. That could be blamed on poor quarterbacking though, so some team should take a chance on him."

Gronk is the best TE in the league, and he'll get paid like one. His 15.5 ypc in 2011 was more than Gronk, more than Graham, more than Davis, more than Zach Miller. Like the last line of your last post says, the QB play was awful. If he had Tom Brady or Drew Brees like Gronk and Graham have he'd be producing like one of those guys. Also, a word I see in nearly every report I read about Cook is "Underutilized".

The fact remains that he'll be getting a little bit more than John Carlson who he outproduced. Thus the money is right no matter how much Titan fans wanna whine about him.

Gronk is the best TE in the league, and he'll get paid like one. His 15.5 ypc in 2011 was more than Gronk, more than Graham, more than Davis, more than Zach Miller. Like the last line of your last post says, the QB play was awful. If he had Tom Brady or Drew Brees like Gronk and Graham have he'd be producing like one of those guys. Also, a word I see in nearly every report I read about Cook is "Underutilized".

The fact remains that he'll be getting a little bit more than John Carlson who he outproduced. Thus the money is right no matter how much Titan fans wanna whine about him.

There's a fine line between "take a chance on a malcontent" and "I wish the Bears would've given this dynamite TE a bunch of money." Cook is an underachiever. He's not dynamite. He's a solid TE and nowhere near worth almost $6m that he'll get this year with the tag.

There's a fine line between "take a chance on a malcontent" and "I wish the Bears would've given this dynamite TE a bunch of money." Cook is an underachiever. He's not dynamite. He's a solid TE and nowhere near worth almost $6m that he'll get this year with the tag.

And John Carlson was worth 5 mill? His agent woulda used that kind of leverage to get him at least 5 mill somewhere.

Cook vs Carlson (Cook played 2 less games)

YDS- 1643 vs 1519

TGT- 198 vs 221

REC- 122 vs 137

Throw in the fact that the Vikings knew Carlson wasn't even gonna play the first year of his contract due to injury and I think Cook deserves around the 6 mill he's gonna get maybe it's a bit much but it's not nowhere near his value. Titans have a new OC and TE coach so placing the franchise tag on him gives them 1 year to make him happy, it's a wise move on their part.

And John Carlson was worth 5 mill? His agent woulda used that kind of leverage to get him at least 5 mill somewhere.

Cook vs Carlson (Cook played 2 less games)

YDS- 1643 vs 1519

TGT- 198 vs 221

REC- 122 vs 137

Throw in the fact that the Vikings knew Carlson wasn't even gonna play the first year of his contract due to injury and I think Cook deserves around the 6 mill he's gonna get maybe it's a bit much but it's not nowhere near his value. Titans have a new OC and TE coach so placing the franchise tag on him gives them 1 year to make him happy, it's a wise move on their part.

Where did I say John Carlson is worth it? Giving Carlson that much is stupid just like giving Cook that much is stupid. Because Carlson got that, giving Cook that is now all of a sudden smart?

You're right. Jared Cook is dynamite. I really wish the Bears would've given him $6m year because he's done so much to warrant that.

I'm not saying Carlson was worth it I'm saying contracts like that give agents leverage.

"My guy outproduced Carlson, he deserves more money than him"

How much do you think he deserves?

I agree it may be a bit of an over pay but it's nothing to shake your head at or claim that he's worth no where near that.

His 11-12 season was indeed "dynamite" 15.5 ypc is something even Gronk hasn't done. Teams will pay for that kind potential.

I'm not saying Carlson was worth it I'm saying contracts like that give agents leverage.

I agree it may be a bit of an over pay but it's nothing to shake your head at or claim that he's worth no where near that.

His 11-12 season was indeed "dynamite" 15.5 ypc is something even Gronk hasn't done. Teams will pay for that kind potential.

Johnny Knox's last 2 years- 18 and 19 yards per catch. Was that dynamite?

So 19 ypc for a WR isn't dynamite but 15 for a TE is?

I never said Knox wasn't dynamite but you can't compare a WR with a TE when it comes to making big plays.

In the last 3 years only Vernon Davis(16.3) and Antonio Gates (15.6) had more ypc for a player with more than 40 rec than Cooks 15.5.

Maybe we differentiate on our use of dynamite but you have to admit that's impressive. You put him in a better offense and he'd be a top 10 TE, top 10 TEs make that kind of money.

It would be nice to have him, but not at an upscale price, to much inconsistency, everyone we might get in FA will have some questions so lets get a good deal and deal with an upgrade over what we have at a reasonable price. I am throwing my hat in the ring for B. Meyers, not great but can catch passes. He went to Iowa so maybe he wants to come back to the wonderful weather of the midwest. If we can get him for the same price as we paid our TE-Davis, I think we win. If money didnt matter he would not be my first or second choice, just a better choice considering we only have money to spend on one big FA and I hope that goes to Beatty/LT .

Myers probably hits the market but like you said, he's not great...From rotoworld...

Myers may want to test the market after a breakout season that saw him finish fourth among tight ends in receptions and sixth in yards. NFL teams realize a good portion of that production came in garbage time, however, and Myers offers little playmaking ability after the catch. He won't break the bank on the open market

Myers' lack of athleticism is concerning for his long-term appeal, but he's shown excellent rapport with Carson Palmer and feel for Gregg Knapp's scheme. Bringing him back figures to be a priority for the Raiders in free agency

It doesn't sound like he fits the mold of a guy the Bears are looking for. He could be an option but to me the draft sounds like the place to go.

Myers probably hits the market but like you said, he's not great...From rotoworld...

It doesn't sound like he fits the mold of a guy the Bears are looking for. He could be an option but to me the draft sounds like the place to go.

Since this is a new coaching staff, I'm wondering how anyone could pinpoint what type of player this staff would covet at any position on offense.

$6M for cook is beyond stupid. Carlson contract was stupid as well. In oder to give a guy $6M a yr for FA TE i need productio. Something he doesn't have. He shows flashes but that's it. Sure he has not been utilized correctly but i can't justify him getting $6M cuz of Carlson and his ridiculous contract

Since this is a new coaching staff, I'm wondering how anyone could pinpoint what type of player this staff would covet at any position on offense.

It's all just a hunch on the research I've done over the last few weeks. The tread I posted yesterday about TEs said they want a guy that they can lineup all over the place. The slot, in the backfield, and in line. The WCO is also predicated on making things happen after the catch, YAC yards. A guy who "offers little playmaking ability after the catch" and whos "lack of athleticism is concerning" doesn't seem to fit the mold wouldnt you say?

I'm a jobless guy who spends all his time doing research on sports. I try not to say something with out doing research before I say it.

$6M for cook is beyond stupid. Carlson contract was stupid as well. In oder to give a guy $6M a yr for FA TE i need productio. Something he doesn't have. He shows flashes but that's it. Sure he has not been utilized correctly but i can't justify him getting $6M cuz of Carlson and his ridiculous contract

Ya can't be productive if no one gets you the ball. What would you say is good deal for Cook?

You also gotta remember this a franchise tag he's getting. With the way he was utilized there's no way he was coming back. With the franchise tag and a new offensive coordinator they have one last chance to try to keep him around.

I think it's worth noting their new OC took over in week 13....Week 13 Cook had 12 targets....before that he averaged a touch over 5 tgts per game.

It's all just a hunch on the research I've done over the last few weeks. The tread I posted yesterday about TEs said they want a guy that they can lineup all over the place. The slot, in the backfield, and in line. The WCO is also predicated on making things happen after the catch, YAC yards. A guy who "offers little playmaking ability after the catch" and whos "lack of athleticism is concerning" doesn't seem to fit the mold wouldnt you say?

I'm a jobless guy who spends all his time doing research on sports. I try not to say something with out doing research before I say it.

I'm not questioning how much research you do? I'm trying to figure out what criteria you use to figure out what players that a former CFL coach with a first time OC wants at a position where this team is lacking wants? Did you use stats from his CFL TEs or did you go to when he was a an OC at one of his previous NFL jobs many years ago?

I personally like the intrigue of trying to guess what type of TE he prefers and hope its someone who can mesh with Cutler and my personal research has me wanting the Bears to kick the the tires on Tony Schefler,it worked with Marshall.

I'm not questioning how much research you do? I'm trying to figure out what criteria you use to figure out what players that a former CFL coach with a first time OC wants at a position where this team is lacking wants? Did you use stats from his CFL TEs or did you go to when he was a an OC at one of his previous NFL jobs many years ago?

I personally like the intrigue of trying to guess what type of TE he prefers and hope its someone who can mesh with Cutler and my personal research has me wanting the Bears to kick the the tires on Tony Schefler,it worked with Marshall.

Well as far as the TE goes it's all in the thread I posted yesterday

“We need a tight end that can threaten the defense,” he said. “We need a tight end that can create stress in the middle of the field, or wherever we place him, because we’re going to line him up next to the tackle and we’re going to line him up outside the numbers and we’re going to line him up in the backfield and we’re going to expect the defense to figure it out.

“And so we need a receiver who can catch the ball and we need a receiver who can block enough to be lined up in the backfield if we put him in there. In answering your question, yeah, absolutely we need a tight end that can catch the ball. The days of the tight end that blocked and ran flat routes in this league are coming to an end. The guys that just run three-yard flat routes, that is not going to do anything for you.”

Once again that tells me they don't want a guy who lacks athleticism. Once again it's all just a hunch.

I've also spent many a mindless hours reading about the west coast offense and Bill Walsh. Nearly every article talked about being able make things happen after the catch. Yes all WCO are different and I can't pinpoint exactly what Marc wants to do but there are some generalities to it.

The West coast offense fascinates me to no end.

Since he hasn't been tagged yet... Dan Pompei on if the Bears will take a look at Cook

The Bears are likely to look hard at all of the available free agent tight ends, including Cook if he makes it to the open market. There has been talk that he is asking for quite a bit of money, and the Titans may put the franchise tag on him. NFL front office men love Cook's talent, both as a receiver and a blocker. But he hasn't always shown that talent consistently. His production has not been steady. Cook is a little like Jermichael Finley in that regard. But Finley has been playing with a great quarterback. Cook has not. His best season was in 2011 when he caught 49 passes for 759 yards. He has potential to be better than he's been, and he is going to be paid for what he can be, not what he has been. Given the money he will likely be offered, whoever signs him will be taking a bit of a leap of faith.

Even if he doesn't get tagged he'll be making to much for the Bears to offer IMO.