SCS February Offseason Mock

scs787

This Board is dead and it's killing me...I'm literally watching bowling right now. Lol. I'm gonna pull a Terra and post me up a good ol mock.

Cut Hester, Davis, and Spaeth...I believe that (~7M) along with the 3 mill carried over and the 13 we already have gives us 23M to work with

Resign-

Melton- 8

Roach-3

Moore-2

Hayes-1

Okoye-2

Sign

Andy Levitre 7

Draft

Trading down in the first would be a fantastic thing, with the depth of the OL in the draft class I think we can venture into the low 1st high 2nd and still get a good piece. It's tough to really tell who might be interested in trading up so I'll just throw out a random team with 2 3rd rounders...Let's say we trade down with the Phins.

2R #42 - Dallas Thomas G/T Tennessee- To play RG

2R #50 - Arthur Brown LB K State- 54s replacement

3R #77- Gavin Escobar TE San Diego St.- Huge need and a great get in the 3rd IMO

4R #114- Kenjon Barner RB Oregon- Like I said yesterday, I'd love this pick

5R #146- Josh Boyce WR TCU- Here's your deep threat #4 WR

6R #178- Manese Foketi OT West Texas A&M :D

Not only am I supporter of Webb at LT, I'm grabbing another West Texas A&M LT...No I am not a West Texas A & M Alum lol.

Report on Foketi-

Much lighter on his feet than his thick build would seem to indicate. Possesses a typical Polynesian build with little muscle definition but good overall weight distribution and surprisingly long arms (34.25"). Eases off the snap in pass protection, showing good depth and balance in his kick-slide.

Has the agility to slide laterally and mirror defenders, as well as the physicality and strength to latch on and control his opponent. Physicality and athleticism translate into the running game, as well as Foketi is an aggressive striker who can rag-doll opponents and looks to intimidate them with pancake blocks when he can.

I know no one will like the fact that I have Webb at LT but this is where I'm at pre FA.

This Board is dead and it's killing me...I'm literally watching bowling right now. Lol. I'm gonna pull a Terra and post me up a good ol mock.

Cut Hester, Davis, and Spaeth...I believe that (~7M) along with the 3 mill carried over and the 13 we already have gives us 23M to work with

Resign-

Melton- 8

Roach-3

Moore-2

Hayes-1

Okoye-2

Sign

Andy Levitre 7

Draft

Trading down in the first would be a fantastic thing, with the depth of the OL in the draft class I think we can venture into the low 1st high 2nd and still get a good piece. It's tough to really tell who might be interested in trading up so I'll just throw out a random team with 2 3rd rounders...Let's say we trade down with the Phins.

3R #77- Gavin Escobar TE San Diego St.- Huge need and a great get in the 3rd IMO

Not only am I supporter of Webb at LT, I'm grabbing another West Texas A&M LT...No I am not a West Texas A & M Alum lol.

Report on Foketi-

I know no one will like the fact that I have Webb at LT but this is where I'm at pre FA.

I have read where AZ is interested in Mike Glennon but to high to pick at #7. They will be looking to move up in the first round, as they dont think he will be there on there pick. They have picks 38,69,and a 6th that is equal valve on the trade chart.

Resign-

Melton- 8

Roach-3

Moore-2

Hayes-1

Okoye-2

Sign

Andy Levitre 7

Draft

Report on Foketi-

I like the players you listed, but think Warford might still be there at 42, of which I would rather have.

I have read where AZ is interested in Mike Glennon but to high to pick at #7. They will be looking to move up in the first round, as they dont think he will be there on there pick. They have picks 38,69,and a 6th that is equal valve on the trade chart.

I like the players you listed, but think Warford might still be there at 42, of which I would rather have.

That would be another scenario to go with. It's really hard to tell though. Grabbing an extra 6th would be nice too. I was selling it short above not including the extra pick we may receive.

It wouldn't change my draft that much though.

The WF draft I was looking at had Warford gone at 36. Warford would be the pick if he's there. I'd go Jones/Warford/Thomas in that order depending who is available. They're all said to be good pass blockers and that's what I'm lookin for.

Ugh, you're right....Man whoever said the Bears had enough cap to do whatever they want is a buffoon. Phil is gonna have some work to do signing Tillman, Marshall, and maybe Jay to an extension to free up some more $$.

Also, the first year cap hits can be adjusted for Melton and Levitre to about 5 each with some backloaded deals.

Not bad picks, I just can't see them using a pick on an RB this year with some of the other needs, but anything is possible I guess.

That would be another scenario to go with. It's really hard to tell though. Grabbing an extra 6th would be nice too. I was selling it short above not including the extra pick we may receive.

It wouldn't change my draft that much though.

The WF draft I was looking at had Warford gone at 36. Warford would be the pick if he's there. I'd go Jones/Warford/Thomas in that order depending who is available. They're all said to be good pass blockers and that's what I'm lookin for.

I agree with the order of jones/warford/Thomas. I don't think melton will command 8 though. Im thinking 5-6 but 7 max which will help overal. If barner is there in 4th i look to trade it if u can get good value of picks in return as im not thrilled about drafting a #3 rb in the 4th with other needs that can help us right away

I can understand not wanting a #3 RB in the 4th but to me this a case of another WR in the 2nd kinda deal only I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum now. It's all a matter of a opinion but I think a #3 RB like Kenjon Barner will play a bigger role than a #4. I understand the arguments of a guy like Tavon Austin not being a #4 but I like our #1-3 in the WCO.

I know we're not gonna be the Saints but it's a good offense to model off of and with Kromer coming over it's a valid comparison. The Saints had a rotation of guys who all got their share of targets and carries in the offense. Barner gives us our version of Darren Sproles who can be explosive in the passing game out of the backfield.

It's my dirty little pick.

I was just about to say if Webb is still at LT, let alone employed, the entire offseason is a bust (not yours, just in general)

Says the guy who wants to give Jermon Bushrod 7 mill a year.

Here's some fun little stats to throw at you...

Bushrod was the 45th ranked tackle when it came to pass block efficiency. Webb? 35th.

Bushrod gave up a hurry every 15.7 snaps. Webb? 20.5.

So ya, there's that.

Ah yes, I'm not sure of the money but they can indeed free up some money by voiding Spencers contract...

Once again I still really don't understand the NFL cap but Spencers Cap hit last year was 4.25M, base salary of 2.75, signing bonus of a mill, and a 500k bonus. I'm not sure what that all means, or if it really means anything since it was last years contract.

Ah yes, I'm not sure of the money but they can indeed free up some money by voiding Spencers contract...

Once again I still really don't understand the NFL cap but Spencers Cap hit last year was 4.25M, base salary of 2.75, signing bonus of a mill, and a 500k bonus. I'm not sure what that all means, or if it really means anything since it was last years contract.

Spencer is a UFA

Resign-

Melton- 8

Roach-3

Moore-2

Hayes-1

Okoye-2

Sign

Andy Levitre 7

Draft

Report on Foketi-

I have been looking up your players and have to say most are good choices but Boyce is a 4.55 speedster. Not sure that applies.

I can understand not wanting a #3 RB in the 4th but to me this a case of another WR in the 2nd kinda deal only I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum now. It's all a matter of a opinion but I think a #3 RB like Kenjon Barner will play a bigger role than a #4. I understand the arguments of a guy like Tavon Austin not being a #4 but I like our #1-3 in the WCO.

I know we're not gonna be the Saints but it's a good offense to model off of and with Kromer coming over it's a valid comparison. The Saints had a rotation of guys who all got their share of targets and carries in the offense. Barner gives us our version of Darren Sproles who can be explosive in the passing game out of the backfield.

It's my dirty little pick.

I would rather get a WR in the 4th due to fact that Bennett struggles to stay on field and samething with jeffrey(though just 1 yr). Sure Marshall, jeffrey and bennett are nice trio but considering a 4th receiver is needed and current guys cant stay healthy i think its a bigger need than a #3 rb that us mainly a ST guy

Arthur Brown is a bit undersized to be a 4-3 MLB, no?

Eh, he's 2 inches shorter than Ogletree (1in shorter than Te'o) and they weigh the same. From what I read, he's got good coverage skills and can cover the whole field. I think he'd do fine.

Here's a nice write up on Brown..

Arthur Brown, despite weighing less than some wide receivers at 230 pounds, is one of the most physically impressive prospects that we’ve seen. His speed, acceleration and burst allow him to make up for small mistakes in an angle or a read that other linebackers just can’t get away with.

Brown could be scheme-limited in the NFL. I don’t see a place for him on a pure 3-4 team, while some 4-3 teams might only look at him as a weakside “Will” linebacker unless they have some massive defensive tackles. He flows well to the ball and has speed to cover the whole field, so I do think the outside linebacker spot will work for him in the NFL.

That said, I don’t think you can discount what Brown has done at the inside linebacker position. He is undersized, but he plays like he weighs 250. He gets off blocks, blows up lead blockers, and refuses to back down from players 100 pounds his senior.

Add in some above average coverage skills and you have a three-down linebacker that will come in and contribute as a rookie. I will be shocked if Brown makes it out of the top fifty picks come the 2013 NFL Draft, and won’t be surprised at all if he is the first linebacker chosen over Manti Te’o, Alec Ogletree or Kevin Minter.

IMO, and the stats back it up, Roach did well when he moved inside. I wouldn't mind him playing there. I think between the 2 you can come up with a good combo.

I would rather get a WR in the 4th due to fact that Bennett struggles to stay on field and samething with jeffrey(though just 1 yr). Sure Marshall, jeffrey and bennett are nice trio but considering a 4th receiver is needed and current guys cant stay healthy i think its a bigger need than a #3 rb that us mainly a ST guy

I just don't think Barner would mainly be used on ST. I think they can use a rotation of guys like the Saints did and use Barner like Sproles. Bush is also a FA next year and Barner can be a dynamic back with the FB being your short yardage back....

The injury argument is valid but can be valid all around the field. Forte has been hurt a lot lately and in a system that will utilize the back so much you'd have to rely on Allen or Bell a lot should Forte go down. I like utilizing a rotation of guys in the backfield to keep them fresh.

I just don't think Barner would mainly be used on ST. I think they can use a rotation of guys like the Saints did and use Barner like Sproles. Bush is also a FA next year and Barner can be a dynamic back with the FB being your short yardage back....

The injury argument is valid but can be valid all around the field. Forte has been hurt a lot lately and in a system that will utilize the back so much you'd have to rely on Allen or Bell a lot should Forte go down. I like utilizing a rotation of guys in the backfield to keep them fresh.

Y are all your arguments based on what the Saints do. Last i checked this will be Trestmans offense and not kromers

Why copy what they do. Why can't we be different. That's my point. Let's also keep in mind that we have a running game that works and they don't. Trestman also builds a system around the personnel that he has which tells me we will run the ball

I agree, it will a combination of what the talent dictates.

Why copy what they do. Why can't we be different. That's my point. Let's also keep in mind that we have a running game that works and they don't. Trestman also builds a system around the personnel that he has which tells me we will run the ball

I get your point but my point is why not copy them? We have a better run game them yes so in that regard we can be even better than the Saints.

Bush will be gone after next year, it'd be nice to have a RB in the system to come in and be the back up next year.