Webb Nation

scs787

I highlighted the things in the posts that matter. The holding onto the ball part is judgmental, but the fact that we were the only team stupid enough to play Matthews 1v1 is not. They see him play all year and see him get double teamed every game....

Carimi @ LT?? Dear Lord! You've gotta be kidding me....Right? All this time bashing Webb and you want Gabe Carimi at LT???

Webb+Levitre>Carimi+Levitre

So you want Carimi-Levitre-Garza-Cooper-?? Webb?? Scott??

I'm sorry but that honestly sounds worse to me.

Yes. I've long been a proponent of playing people in the pros at the position in which they excelled at college. ,I hate the notion that they were great there before, but don't get a shot once drafted. It's entirely possible he would play better at LT than RT, that he would be more comfortable and confident, and it would be a draft choice worthy of the selection.

And,yes, in my scenario both Webb and Scott probably sit the bench.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I've long been a proponent of playing people in the pros at the position in which they excelled at college. ,I hate the notion that they were great there before, but don't get a shot once drafted. It's entirely possible he would play better at LT than RT, that he would be more comfortable and confident, and it would be a draft choice worthy of the selection.

And,yes, in my scenario both Webb and Scott probably sit the bench.

I'm usually with your opinions, but your offbase with Carmi at LT, just because he played there in college. The pros is a faster game and certain characteristics fit better at different positions. He ain't a LT.

I'm usually with your opinions, but your offbase with Carmi at LT, just because he played there in college. The pros is a faster game and certain characteristics fit better at different positions. He ain't a LT.

Perhaps, but I also believe the notion that LT and RT are largely becoming indistinguishable in the NFL because of the exotic rush/blitz defenses being run. The only major issue is blindside. Sure, the LT protects the blindside, but when I really think about it I see the following...

If Carimi's familiarity with LT improves his pass blocking even a smidgen (you'd have to figure it would), and his injury even hindered him the smallest amount (you'd have to figure it did), then when he gets a full offseason to dedicate towards LT he will be as good or better than Webb at pass blocking, with a much higher ceiling, a much better pedigree, and infinitely better run-blocking ability. It's a gamble, for sure, but the dice have been rolled on Webb for three years running; it's time for a new shooter. Add that to the fact it potentially solves a glaring hole, and fits so well otherwise...

-Best FA OG? Probably Levitre. Guess which side? LG. Right near Carimi.

-Most likely draft scenario? All three top LTs are gone, but the best RT (Fluker) is probably there.

-Best OL talent pool in the draft? OG is absolutely loaded through the top 6 prospects. One could easily be had in the second...or fourth if the reports on Barrett Jones are to be believed.

-Coaches most likely target for OL considering their history/philosophy? OG.

Add all that to this final thought...if a freaking 7th rounder can be moved from one bookend to the other, and basically given the job because he supposedly has the ability/body/whatever for the position, and that same player was originally slotted by the coaches for the other side, then why the hell can't a first rounder with much more talent make the same type of move?

I like the logic behind your opinion.

My simple hope is that the new regime gives every thought to the best fit. The line coach has a great rep. And Trestman appears to be able to turn bad units into servicable ones. I can't imagine that any spot on the OL is truly locked up...

Perhaps, but I also believe the notion that LT and RT are largely becoming indistinguishable in the NFL because of the exotic rush/blitz defenses being run. The only major issue is blindside. Sure, the LT protects the blindside, but when I really think about it I see the following...

If Carimi's familiarity with LT improves his pass blocking even a smidgen (you'd have to figure it would), and his injury even hindered him the smallest amount (you'd have to figure it did), then when he gets a full offseason to dedicate towards LT he will be as good or better than Webb at pass blocking, with a much higher ceiling, a much better pedigree, and infinitely better run-blocking ability. It's a gamble, for sure, but the dice have been rolled on Webb for three years running; it's time for a new shooter. Add that to the fact it potentially solves a glaring hole, and fits so well otherwise...

-Best FA OG? Probably Levitre. Guess which side? LG. Right near Carimi.

-Most likely draft scenario? All three top LTs are gone, but the best RT (Fluker) is probably there.

-Best OL talent pool in the draft? OG is absolutely loaded through the top 6 prospects. One could easily be had in the second...or fourth if the reports on Barrett Jones are to be believed.

-Coaches most likely target for OL considering their history/philosophy? OG.

Add all that to this final thought...if a freaking 7th rounder can be moved from one bookend to the other, and basically given the job because he supposedly has the ability/body/whatever for the position, and that same player was originally slotted by the coaches for the other side, then why the hell can't a first rounder with much more talent make the same type of move?