First round pick?

jason

If we don't re-sign Melton, we need to use that money to sign a top tier FA like Levitre. I would not be in favor of spending another first round draft pick on a DT unless he's projected to be this fantastic, can't miss prospect.

I wish it was possible to trade Melton. I'd take a 2nd rounder and be happy with it if that's what we got.

If we don't re-sign Melton, we need to use that money to sign a top tier FA like Levitre. I would not be in favor of spending another first round draft pick on a DT unless he's projected to be this fantastic, can't miss prospect.

I wish it was possible to trade Melton. I'd take a 2nd rounder and be happy with it if that's what we got.

They could tag him and deal him, no?

Richardson, according to some, is a can't miss prospect. I've seen a mock draft with him going #1.

I don't mind it. We'd save about 5 mil a year by drafting him and letting Melton walk. That would free up money for Levitre, then draft Barrett Jones or comperable in the 2nd. Of course that's not going to happen, because of the timing between FA and draft.

Moot point with Melton locked up now. I also think that Melton being signed really minimizes any concerns you had we might draft Manti Te'o or another defensive player in round 1. The offensive line is of the greatest need and good o-linemen will be available at #20 . . . unless we decide to draft a TE.

Signing af FA OG is not a slam dunk to success. Steve Hutchinson and the OG from Pittsburgh who's name I can't recall for obvious reasons are two of the more recent guys at that position that were highly touted going into FA but were mediocre when they were signed by another team. OL are the toughest FAs to gauge when it comes to who best fits your team and scheme.

Signing af FA OG is not a slam dunk to success. Steve Hutchinson and the OG from Pittsburgh who's name I can't recall for obvious reasons are two of the more recent guys at that position that were highly touted going into FA but were mediocre when they were signed by another team. OL are the toughest FAs to gauge when it comes to who best fits your team and scheme.

Hutchinson was also 35 years old, ya gotta expect mediocrity, or old age, to hit at some point.

I assume you mean David Decastro, who they got in the draft and not FA. Most rookie lineman take a lil bit to come around.

Hutchinson was also 35 years old, ya gotta expect mediocrity, or old age, to hit at some point.

I assume you mean David Decastro, who they got in the draft and not FA. Most rookie lineman take a lil bit to come around.

It was Alan Faneca, because I recall how some on this board wanted a probowl LG to play next to rookie Chris Williams at the time.

It was Alan Faneca, because I recall how some on this board wanted a probowl LG to play next to rookie Chris Williams at the time.

Ah, Gotcha. I thought he was just talking about last year. My bad

Still though if it was recently, his mediocrity could be attributed to old age.

A guy like Levitre still has 4--5 more good years in him.

Faneca was a big name and the Steelers let him go at exactly the right time, around the age of 32 IIRC. He got a huge contract and couldn't move like he used to and was not even good. Hutchinson was still young and still outstanding when he first hit FA and Vikings signed him.