The Cutler trade

jason

Did the Bears pay too much?

I read this tidbit from Sun Times and have a bit of confusion within me:

What was the actual cost of the Cutler trade with Denver? The Broncos drafted defensive end Robert Ayers with the Bears’ first-round pick in 2009 (18th overall). The 49ers acquired the 2010 first-round pick from the Broncos and drafted offensive tackle Anthony Davis with 11th overall pick. And the swap of third/fifth round picks turned into a trade of wide receivers — Mike Wallace (by the Steelers in the third round) for Johnny Knox (by the Bears in the fifth round).

Trading for Cutler certainly changed the course of the franchise, and there is no guarantee those players would have been selected (especially by Lovie), but wouldn't it be nice to see Ayers across from Peppers, Davis mauling for Forte, and Wallace opposite Marshall? OF course, none of that probably would have happened the same way either, but it's just food for thought.

I'm still a big Cutler fan, and believe he can deliver if he's ever given an OL.

What was the actual cost of the Cutler trade with Denver? The Broncos drafted defensive end Robert Ayers with the Bears’ first-round pick in 2009 (18th overall). The 49ers acquired the 2010 first-round pick from the Broncos and drafted offensive tackle Anthony Davis with 11th overall pick. And the swap of third/fifth round picks turned into a trade of wide receivers — Mike Wallace (by the Steelers in the third round) for Johnny Knox (by the Bears in the fifth round).

Trading for Cutler certainly changed the course of the franchise, and there is no guarantee those players would have been selected (especially by Lovie), but wouldn't it be nice to see Ayers across from Peppers, Davis mauling for Forte, and Wallace opposite Marshall? OF course, none of that probably would have happened the same way either, but it's just food for thought.

I'm still a big Cutler fan, and believe he can deliver if he's ever given an OL.

That whole trade gets so confusing cuz den kept trading picks away back then. Wallace and Marshall could happen this yr as wallace is a FA and pit dont have cap to sign him. We can always dream. If we could just think of wallace, Marshall, bennett and jeffrey. Of course it ain't gonna happen

We did, if we don't get a ring. If we get a ring, we didn't...

Jury's still out...

IIRC the Bears were in prime position to take Wallace, but passed for Jaron freaking Gilbert.. We were the most active, according to Wallace himself, before the draft even began. He thought for sure the Bears were going to pick him.. Dumb ass Jerry Angelo went for another bust instead.

But back to the original topic, if you ask me today if the trade was worth it, I would say no. Cutler hasn't done nearly enough to warrant the picks we had to lose to get him. You trade that many 1st rounders for a guy, usually a quarterback, you expect that player to be able to take you to a Superbowl. Anything less in my opinion is a disappointment.

To some degree Cutler gets somewhat of a pass early on because the team had nothing around him, which is the risk you take when you don't have any early round picks for 2 seasons. The Redskins took that risk when they drafted RGIII and the only thing holding him back from being one of the better QB's in the game is injuries. The Raiders took a bad risk in Carson Palmer and have, and will continue to pay for it.

The Bears are somewhere in the middle. They know that they are only going to be so bad with Cutler, but you also don't know if you can be as good as you want to be with him. His play has been seriously inconsistent to say the least. This has caused a divide among the fans, in regards to their support for the Quarterback. Some believe he's simply not a franchise worthy quarterback that can ever lead a team to a Superbowl; citing his sometimes childish antics, and his gun slinger mentality on the field as some of the main reasons for why he isn't as successful as he should be.

Others seem to have these built in excuses for him to shield him from the criticism that he may deserve. Some are fair, at first, but there comes a time when enough is enough. The guy has to perform. He is coming off the worst season of his career since his first season in a Bears uniform. If he doesn't work on his mechanics as a quarterback, he may never reach his full potential. There is no reason in the world why a guy like him shouldn't be better than he is. His decision making sucks. The off the back throws need to stop, the accuracy needs to get better, and the turnovers need to be lower. If Trestman can't get this through to him, nobody will.

I'm of the belief that he will be given 2 more years, minimum, to prove he's worth investing in long-term. If he has a career year next season, he'll likely be re-signed. If not, he will probably be franchised and Emery may look to draft the future QB in that off-season.

Robert Ayers sucks. I don't know why anyone would wish he was on their team.

Mike Wallace is overrated too.

IIRC the Bears were in prime position to take Wallace, but passed for Jaron freaking Gilbert.. We were the most active, according to Wallace himself, before the draft even began. He thought for sure the Bears were going to pick him.. Dumb ass Jerry Angelo went for another bust instead.

But back to the original topic, if you ask me today if the trade was worth it, I would say no. Cutler hasn't done nearly enough to warrant the picks we had to lose to get him. You trade that many 1st rounders for a guy, usually a quarterback, you expect that player to be able to take you to a Superbowl. Anything less in my opinion is a disappointment.

To some degree Cutler gets somewhat of a pass early on because the team had nothing around him, which is the risk you take when you don't have any early round picks for 2 seasons. The Redskins took that risk when they drafted RGIII and the only thing holding him back from being one of the better QB's in the game is injuries. The Raiders took a bad risk in Carson Palmer and have, and will continue to pay for it.

The Bears are somewhere in the middle. They know that they are only going to be so bad with Cutler, but you also don't know if you can be as good as you want to be with him. His play has been seriously inconsistent to say the least. This has caused a divide among the fans, in regards to their support for the Quarterback. Some believe he's simply not a franchise worthy quarterback that can ever lead a team to a Superbowl; citing his sometimes childish antics, and his gun slinger mentality on the field as some of the main reasons for why he isn't as successful as he should be.

Others seem to have these built in excuses for him to shield him from the criticism that he may deserve. Some of them I'll admit were reasonable excuses at first, but there comes a point when enough is enough. The guy has to perform. He didn't have a good relationship with his quarterback's coach, so they went out and brought in Jeremy Bates. He didn't much care for his offensive coordinator in Mike Martz, so they fired him. They gave him a #1 receiver in Brandon Marshall, also someone he was familiar with from his Denver days. They have given him just about anything he's ever asked for and he has still not lived up to the expectations that many of us put on him when he arrived.

So they give him a hasbeen OC Martz, a guy who was doing nothing in 2011 (Bates), 1 WR and 0 good OL since he's got here and that's "anything he's ever asked for?" He liked Bates, but didn't ask for him. He never got along with Martz.

Others seem to have these built in excuses for him to shield him from the criticism that he may deserve. Some of them I'll admit were reasonable excuses at first, but there comes a point when enough is enough. The guy has to perform. He didn't have a good relationship with his quarterback's coach, so they went out and brought in Jeremy Bates. He didn't much care for his offensive coordinator in Mike Martz, so they fired him. They gave him a #1 receiver in Brandon Marshall, also someone he was familiar with from his Denver days. They have given him just about anything he's ever asked for and he has still not lived up to the expectations that many of us put on him when he arrived.

I agree wholeheartedly, we can keep making excuses for Cutler on and on but the bottom line is wins and losses.

Remember all the excuses for Hester when he was first transitioning to WR? How did that turn out?

This year should tell the story, I hope that he steps up and fulfils his potential, he could be a great one....

Robert Ayers sucks. I don't know why anyone would wish he was on their team.

Mike Wallace is overrated too.

So they give him a hasbeen OC Martz, a guy who was doing nothing in 2011 (Bates), 1 WR and 0 good OL since he's got here and that's "anything he's ever asked for?" He liked Bates, but didn't ask for him. He never got along with Martz.

I was in the middle of editing my post, but my point on that was that the team always made sure to include Jay in virtually every important decision when it came to the offense. He actually did get along with Martz at first, but that relationship soured at some point in the second season when he grew tired of the play calling, and the miss management of the timeouts that happened at least twice a game.

The Bears did everything they could to make him feel as comfortable as possible, and when that failed, people will still use the offensive line as a scapegoat for his performances. Some of that is fair, but he is not exempt from being a more accurate quarterback, or learning how to use proper mechanics. There are many things that he could, and should be doing now with the type of talent he has that doesn't have a thing to do with anything other than between the ears.

I was in the middle of editing my post, but my point on that was that the team always made sure that they did just about everything possible to cater towards their QB's interests. He actually did get along with Martz at first, but that relationship soured at some point in the second season when he grew tired of the play calling, and the miss management of the timeouts that happened at least twice a game.

The Bears did everything they could to make him feel as comfortable as possible, and when that failed, people will still use the offensive line as a scapegoat for his performances. Some of that is fair, but he is not exempt from being a more accurate quarterback, or learning how to use proper mechanics. There are many things that he could, and should be doing now with the type of talent he has that doesn't have a thing to do with anything other than between the ears.

Call me crazy, but making him feel as comfortable as possible would've been doing something to not let him get smoked once every 11 dropbacks. I know he felt comfortable a bit with Bates but I think he would've gladly taken an OL over Jeremy Bates

As for Martz, he never wanted him. Martz was the Bears last OC choice and he had to have dinner with Cutler to smooth over differences. After that he respected him, but like you said, by 2011 he had had enough.

Ask any QB if they'd rather have a friend as a coach and another as a WR or an OL to keep them healthy and safe. Any would take the latter, I'd bet.

Call me crazy, but making him feel as comfortable as possible would've been doing something to not let him get smoked once every 11 dropbacks. I know he felt comfortable a bit with Bates but I think he would've gladly taken an OL over Jeremy Bates

As for Martz, he never wanted him. Martz was the Bears last OC choice and he had to have dinner with Cutler to smooth over differences. After that he respected him, but like you said, by 2011 he had had enough.

Ask any QB if they'd rather have a friend as a coach and another as a WR or an OL to keep them healthy and safe. Any would take the latter, I'd bet.

The problem there is I remember that he was vocal about wanting tall WR's and he got 2. He wanted his buddy as QB coach, he got it. He wanted Martz gone, he got it. The team has been very accommodating to him. Maybe he should have been more vocal about the OL, he may have gotten it.

In the perfect situation, I would have liked to seen the Bears made the move for Smith. I think he would have fit in Trestman's offense a lot better. Smith fits in the category of QB's that Trestman has succeeded with. Young, Gannon, and Cavillo are all smart, accurate QB's. They weren't gunslinger's that depended on their arms.

During the season announcers always talked about how Cutler throws to who he can see. He doesn't do timing routes. I'm not sure Tresman's offense and Cutler's style would mesh well. I'm not saying it can't work, just that neither Trestman offensive mind nor Cutler will be put in optimal positions to succeed. Smith would have been ideal if the Bears weren't already saddled with Cutler and had the pics to spare.

Well said...

Others seem to have these built in excuses for him to shield him from the criticism that he may deserve. Some are fair, at first, but there comes a time when enough is enough. The guy has to perform. He is coming off the worst season of his career since his first season in a Bears uniform. If he doesn't work on his mechanics as a quarterback, he may never reach his full potential. There is no reason in the world why a guy like him shouldn't be better than he is. His decision making sucks. The off the back throws need to stop, the accuracy needs to get better, and the turnovers need to be lower. If Trestman can't get this through to him, nobody will.

I'm of the belief that he will be given 2 more years, minimum, to prove he's worth investing in long-term. If he has a career year next season, he'll likely be re-signed. If not, he will probably be franchised and Emery may look to draft the future QB in that off-season.

The protection issues are well documented, but lets stop acting like he is this perfect quarterback, who is without some major flaws that have really limited his ability to be better than he is.

The fact of the matter is that the franchise has included him on every important decision regarding the offense since he's been in Chicago. If he wasn't comfortable with Martz or Tice they wouldn't have been here. If he had any more power over the franchise he would be the GM. Last year alone, after he gave his support on the Marshall, Bates, and Tice additions, they gave him complete control over the offense, even going as far as to give him a say in what plays would be included in the play book, and also the ability to audible, which wasn't allowed under Martz.

Fuc.k, man, they fired the head coach because he couldn't get enough out of Cutler! Why do you think they hired a guy that has a background in teaching quarterbacks? They have practically bent over backwards for this guy to make him feel comfortable within the organization, and thus far, he has nothing to show for it. Not everybody gets to play in perfect scenarios. He needs to step up and be a better quarterback.

Bingo.

If I'm the QB, give me the pro-bowl OL and a bunch of average WRs. They'll get open eventually.

The problem there is I remember that he was vocal about wanting tall WR's and he got 2. He wanted his buddy as QB coach, he got it. He wanted Martz gone, he got it. The team has been very accommodating to him. Maybe he should have been more vocal about the OL, he may have gotten it.

Maybe he was vocal about it, and Lovie et. al. just straight up told him they prioritized OL last? I don't know if that happened, and doubt it did, but you never know.

The protection issues are well documented, but lets stop acting like he is this perfect quarterback, who is without some major flaws that have really limited his ability to be better than he is.

The fact of the matter is that the franchise has included him on every important decision regarding the offense since he's been in Chicago. If he wasn't comfortable with Martz or Tice they wouldn't have been here. If he had any more power over the franchise he would be the GM. Last year alone, after he gave his support on the Marshall, Bates, and Tice additions, they gave him complete control over the offense, even going as far as to give him a say in what plays would be included in the play book, and also the ability to audible, which wasn't allowed under Martz.

Fuc.k, man, they fired the head coach because he couldn't get enough out of Cutler! Why do you think they hired a guy that has a background in teaching quarterbacks? They have practically bent over backwards for this guy to make him feel comfortable within the organization, and thus far, he has nothing to show for it. Not everybody gets to play in perfect scenarios. He needs to step up and be a better quarterback.

There is no doubt Cutler has to be better. Who is a perfect quarterback? Brady has as many rings as Cutler since Cutler came in the NFL. Rodgers takes a bunch of sacks and has just "as poor" of an attitude as Cutler has. Manning has 1 ring. Eli is inconsistent. Brees also has 1 ring and has the benefit of playing with great WR's, a great TE, and a damn good OL.

All I'm saying is that investing that much in Cutler is idiotic if you're not going to invest much in his surroundings. They could've had Shanahan but kept Lovie. They could've traded for Marshall earlier. They could've signed some o-line men that aren't named Chilo Rachal and Chris Spencer.

Once again, I realize Cutler has to be better, but so could the front office. They fired Angelo because he "couldn't find talent offensively," despite drafting Forte, Bennett, Louis, and trading for Cutler. In his first year, Emery did nothing besides trading for Marshall, but he didn't draft any OL or sign any either. If this was still Angelo, everyone would be giving him hell.

There is no doubt Cutler has to be better. Who is a perfect quarterback? Brady has as many rings as Cutler since Cutler came in the NFL. Rodgers takes a bunch of sacks and has just "as poor" of an attitude as Cutler has. Manning has 1 ring. Eli is inconsistent. Brees also has 1 ring and has the benefit of playing with great WR's, a great TE, and a damn good OL.

All I'm saying is that investing that much in Cutler is idiotic if you're not going to invest much in his surroundings. They could've had Shanahan but kept Lovie. They could've traded for Marshall earlier. They could've signed some o-line men that aren't named Chilo Rachal and Chris Spencer.

Once again, I realize Cutler has to be better, but so could the front office. They fired Angelo because he "couldn't find talent offensively," despite drafting Forte, Bennett, Louis, and trading for Cutler. In his first year, Emery did nothing besides trading for Marshall, but he didn't draft any OL or sign any either. If this was still Angelo, everyone would be giving him hell.

He did sign James Brown, who I thought did decent when called upon. I think Brown will stick and could be part of the lineup down the road. Also he signed Scott and Rachal....

He did sign James Brown, who I thought did decent when called upon. I think Brown will stick and could be part of the lineup down the road. Also he signed Scott and Rachal....

Signing scrap heap rookies and scrap heap vets and trying to rely on them is a pipe dream. Scott I thought played decent but Rachal that was touted as a tough guy quit when he was demoted and that to me speaks to his mental toughness and solidifies what some 9er fans were saying about how bad he was.Taking players in the draft and investing some time to actually coach them up is what was lacking from the last regime and coaching staff.

In the perfect situation, I would have liked to seen the Bears made the move for Smith. I think he would have fit in Trestman's offense a lot better. Smith fits in the category of QB's that Trestman has succeeded with. Young, Gannon, and Cavillo are all smart, accurate QB's. They weren't gunslinger's that depended on their arms.

During the season announcers always talked about how Cutler throws to who he can see. He doesn't do timing routes. I'm not sure Tresman's offense and Cutler's style would mesh well. I'm not saying it can't work, just that neither Trestman offensive mind nor Cutler will be put in optimal positions to succeed. Smith would have been ideal if the Bears weren't already saddled with Cutler and had the pics to spare.

Alex Smith vs Jay Cutler? That sort of contradicts what Gannon and Young both said about Cutler, that he would thrive under Trestman. Smith was brutal until Harbaugh came in and watered down the offense to such a basic level that almost any QB would've put up the numbers Smith did the last 2 years.

Cutler actually gives Trestman more options because he can pass deep and is more mobile. If Trestman can correct some of Cutler's bad habits, he will be 10 times better than Smith would be in the same offense. Cutler's ceiling is so much higher. We will find out this year because Smith has Reid in KC, but I can't see Smith being more than just a game manager. He is not a bad QB, but I don't believe he would be better than Cutler in a Trestman offense. Trestman also helped Plummer in 1998 almost double his numbers, and I would say Cutler and Plummer are very comparable QB's. He did the same for Kosar in 1989.

James Brown? I'm supposed to give Emery props for signing a UDFA out of Troy? He was supposed to be a 4th round pick and fell and we all saw why. Rachal was f***ing awful and quit in the end. Scott played well, yes.

James Brown? I'm supposed to give Emery props for signing a UDFA out of Troy? He was supposed to be a 4th round pick and fell and we all saw why. Rachal was f***ing awful and quit in the end. Scott played well, yes.

Brown went undrafted because he likes the same stuff Webb likes. When he got the opportunity to play, he did well. His first two games he rated -9.8, but the next two games he rated at +2.4. I think he makes the 53 man next year. Brown was a good signing by a lot nfl experts opinions also. Rachal was terrible, but I think they were hoping he'd be lightning in a bottle. Scott was a solid. If I remember right, there wasnt much to sign in fa.

Brown went undrafted because he likes the same stuff Webb likes. When he got the opportunity to play, he did well. His first two games he rated -9.8, but the next two games he rated at +2.4. I think he makes the 53 man next year. Brown was a good signing by a lot nfl experts opinions also. Rachal was terrible, but I think they were hoping he'd be lightning in a bottle. Scott was a solid. If I remember right, there wasnt much to sign in fa.

I agree that Brown will make the team, but let's not try to believe that Emery had a good first year beyond Marshall because he signed James Brown. Come on.

Brown was just a guy, some turn out, some dont. It still remains to be seen if he contributes. We have new minds to formulate a new plan, and will have to see how it works.

I was one of the only ones on this forum not jumping for joy when the Bears made that trade. Not just the picks but we traded away a homegrown guy who went on to outperfrom Cutler the next two years (apples-to-oranges comparison aside), and I'm not sure Orton wouldn't today too even though he's now benchwarming for Tony Romo (I read an article last year that called him the best backup QB in the NFL--of course Kaepernick was still unproven at that point).

But the fact is, as a fan, Cutler has been a fun guy to have at QB on the Bears, and to this day, he still has an intriguing upside. Also, the guy who was responsible for that trade got fired and is gone, so the way I look at it, it's time to move on. The Bears will continue on with Cutler, and I'm fine with that. At least he doesn't miss entire seasons like Grossman used to do.

I agree that Brown will make the team, but let's not try to believe that Emery had a good first year beyond Marshall because he signed James Brown. Come on.

I won't say good, because im an oline guy. I wanted decastro and was pissed when we took shea and I didnt know much about him. But my intial response to you was that you said we didn't sign any oline. I took it as you forgot about the 3 guys brought in, which they were not memorial in any big way.

I won't say good, because im an oline guy. I wanted decastro and was pissed when we took shea and I didnt know much about him. But my intial response to you was that you said we didn't sign any oline. I took it as you forgot about the 3 guys brought in, which they were not memorial in any big way.

I know who they brought in. I meant it as "they didn't sign anyone...of note." Rachal was told by SF to go away, Brown was a UDFA, and Scott was always a mediocre T who happened to play well finally. If I'm supposed to feel good about Emery thinking the OL needs major upgrades now, I don't. If he did, he would've made a better effort to sign clear upgrades, not stopgap journey-men or UDFA's.