Kyle Long

AZ54

I would like to hear some thoughts on drafting him with our pick in Rd 2? One of the mocks on Walterfootball has us taking him there. There's not a lot of game tape on him but he seems to have the athletic skills you need at OT. We need to be talking about the 2nd Rd OTs because if we go best available in Rd 1 as Emery and Trestman said they want to do, then this is a realistic possibility. Also in this area is Terron Armstead who opened some eyes with his faster than Te'o 4.71 forty.

He's a bit of a wild card to me. He only started 4 games at Oregon, all at LG. He had time at LT, and has the size and athleticism to play there and that's why he's billed there as well as OG. A plus is he can come in and compete at both LG and LT, where the competition is needed. I personally am more of a fan of what I read about Dallas Thomas who can offer the same LG/LT possibility but is not nearly as raw as Long...Long and Armstead are both probably a few years away from being the level of LT bears fans want, though both can probably play LG right away (esp on this current roster).

He's a bit of a wild card to me. He only started 4 games at Oregon, all at LG. He had time at LT, and has the size and athleticism to play there and that's why he's billed there as well as OG. A plus is he can come in and compete at both LG and LT, where the competition is needed. I personally am more of a fan of what I read about Dallas Thomas who can offer the same LG/LT possibility but is not nearly as raw as Long...Long and Armstead are both probably a few years away from being the level of LT bears fans want, though both can probably play LG right away (esp on this current roster).

Wow you got that post right, Im proud of you.

Long is a G.

How about a little context here: Is this your opinion of where he should be lined up in the NFL? Or a statement of where he played at Oregon?

Most of the draft profiles I've read on him have him projected to be an OT because of his athleticism. I could certainly see him starting out in the NFL as a G to gain more experience.

I agree Armstead is a more of a project than Long.

How about a little context here: Is this your opinion of where he should be lined up in the NFL? Or a statement of where he played at Oregon?

Most of the draft profiles I've read on him have him projected to be an OT because of his athleticism. I could certainly see him starting out in the NFL as a G to gain more experience.

Long was a G at Oregon. Like someone pointed out, he rarely ever played LT there. As a USC fan, I saw a lot of his games. He was a damn good G at that. His arm length also shows that he's best suited at G in the NFL. While still raw, he has the bloodlines and nastiness to one day be a great NFL G. If I'm the Bears, I take a deep look into him in round 2 because he has arguably the best potential of any sleeper G in this draft. Having a few starts at T under his belt will be another attractive attribute of his because he, yes, hypothetically could play T if needed. He will be a better G than T.

Thanks for the insight but IMO it doesn't matter if he's a tackle or a guard. Currently our starting guards are an unsigned Lance Louis who is recovering from a major injury and . . . James Brown? Roberto Garza turns 34 in March. Olin Kreutz was that age when we didn't resign him and he proved to New Orleans he was too damn old. Borrowed time.

The new coached called Carimi versatile. That means he can't play tackle and he looks too damn tall to play guard.

Bring in any talented players and sort out the rest later.

Long was a G at Oregon. Like someone pointed out, he rarely ever played LT there. As a USC fan, I saw a lot of his games. He was a damn good G at that. His arm length also shows that he's best suited at G in the NFL. While still raw, he has the bloodlines and nastiness to one day be a great NFL G. If I'm the Bears, I take a deep look into him in round 2 because he has arguably the best potential of any sleeper G in this draft. Having a few starts at T under his belt will be another attractive attribute of his because he, yes, hypothetically could play T if needed. He will be a better G than T.

Interesting thoughts, and based on that he seems to be a solid fit for what we need....good OG who could possibly fit at OT in a year. I see concerns over his height but if he's athletic enough I'd think he could have the knee bend to get low enough to make it work.

Agreed and at Senior Bowl practice he along with a kid named Quisennbary looked decent.