Any ESPN Insiders here?

scs787

I'd love to see the Insider Offseason Playbook that was posted today if anyone can help....Not sure if those articles can be copy and pasted but that'd be pretty sweet.

I like one of the comments that summed the article up and I'd like to read more on what was said about it. It sounds like something I was talking about earlier.

Offense: Opening up, since the line can't block (seems counter-intuitive, but makes sense if they open it up West Coast style)

I'd love to see the Insider Offseason Playbook that was posted today if anyone can help....Not sure if those articles can be copy and pasted but that'd be pretty sweet.

I like one of the comments that summed the article up and I'd like to read more on what was said about it. It sounds like something I was talking about earlier.

Very hard to comment on a quote thats taken out of the context. No fault to u. Just saying very hard to comment without reading the entire context

I don't have Insiders, but I read it off another forum, and it basically says a lot of nothing. Nothing we don't already know.

- Trestman likely to run a pass happy, spread it out, motion offense, with shotgun and 3-5 step drops.

- Defense will remain similar

- The Bears have OG issues, Louis Vasquez is an OG, therefore they should sign Louis Vasquez..

Very hard to comment on a quote thats taken out of the context. No fault to u. Just saying very hard to comment without reading the entire context

I'm fully aware which is why I would like to see the article.

B4E, thanks for a lil more info. Ya, really nothing new there. Any way you can copy and past the whole thing here as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested

Offense -- With a new head coach in Marc Trestman -- considered an offensive guy -- the Bears' new schemes are somewhat a mystery because of his recent background in the CFL. You get the feeling that these coaches are going to play it close to the vest until preseason. We know that it will be a very sophisticated and complex quarterback-friendly offense with more passes than runs, especially since this is a subpar offensive line that will struggle to open holes in the run game.

Considering pass protection will also be a real issue, we will likely see some CFL looks: shotgun, three- and five-step drops, a really fast flow offense with a large volume of plays and some no-huddle. The same can be said for slant passes, quick outs and sight adjustment by quarterback Jay Cutler and his receivers -- especially when he reads the blitz. With coordinator Aaron Kromer on board from New Orleans, expect lots of seam routes with motion and more incorporation in the screen game. This is going to be a fast and furious offense that will be fun to watch, but will they have enough of a physical quality to close games out if they have the lead?

Defense -- New coordinator Mel Tucker comes from Jacksonville and his background is as a 4-3 guy, which is what the Bears will continue to run. That's probably good because it fits their personnel. They will play some games up front to create pre-snap confusion for the opposing offense, and they prefer not to blitz a lot -- their goal is to create pressure with their front four. On the back end they would like a lot of aggressive man looks with some press techniques, but this has been a Cover 2 zone secondary for a long time. That will be an adjustment, and we might see more combo schemes early. What this defense will do -- and what it was great at last year -- is create turnovers and big plays.

Team needs

1.Tight end -- Trestman will likely run a pass-happy offense with spread formations and motion, and there is not a guy at this position on this roster who comes close to filling the need. In fact, it might be one of the least productive units in the NFL with no short to intermediate threats in the underneath passing game. Starter Kellen Davis drops too many passes and backup Matt Spaeth is more of a blocking tight end. With a bad blocking offensive line, the Bears had to use their tight ends as pass blockers in 2012. They need a guy who can motion or flex to get good matchups, help the wide receivers and give this offense some creativity.

[+] EnlargeKellen Davis

MRQ/Icon SMITE Kellen Davis must do a better job holding on to the ball in 2013.

2. Offensive line -- This unit was a disaster in 2012 and the lack of pass-protection consistency will probably be Trestman's most frustrating dilemma as he tries to install his wide-open pass offense. The only guy whom they can count on is right guard Lance Louis, and he's coming off of a knee injury. Every other position could use an upgrade. They might be able to juggle the interior of this group with guys already on the roster, but that is not a long-term solution and their poor edge protection might force them to look for two new tackles.

3. Linebacker -- Change might finally come to the second level of this defense this year. Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs are in their mid-30's and their range is starting to fade, especially in pass coverage. Urlacher is an unrestricted free agent, and the Bears could actually part ways with him even though the new 4-3 defense will be similar to a year ago in the front seven. The other guys with experience, starter Nick Roach and backup Geno Hayes, are UFAs and this position would be ridiculously thin if they leave.

4. Wide receiver -- Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery are a solid one-two combo, but the Devin Hester wide receiver experiment might be over and the consistency/health of No. 3 receiver Earl Bennett needs to improve. They need a solid third receiver.

5. Cornerback -- Although they have played some man schemes in the past couple of years, this is a group built for the Cover 2 zone. Both starters, Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings, are excellent players, but the top three backups are UFAs and they are better zone than man players. It will be a tough decision for the coaches to keep them or let them go.

6. Quarterback -- At first glance this might not look like a need, but we don't know how Cutler will get along with his new head coach and with this offensive line; he will likely continue to take a lot of hits. Backup Jason Campbell miserably failed when he replaced an injured Cutler, and Josh McCown is not a long-term solution. Does Trestman want his own new guy to develop?

-- Gary Horton

Key free-agent move

Louis Vasquez, G, UFA

Vasquez

While the Bears might have a more pressing need at the tackle position, Vasquez would add size and stability to the interior of the line, which also endured struggles in 2012. The future of Gabe Carimi, a former first-round pick, is unclear. He was better at guard than at right tackle last season, although general manager Phil Emery remarked at the NFL combine that his future position is still being evaluated.

The fortunate news for the Bears is that the draft is considered deep at offensive tackle by many experts, and while the top three left tackles might be off the board by pick No. 20, Chicago could have its pick from the next tier of prospects available.

If Carimi can come around at right tackle -- a big "if" after his 2012 performance -- the Bears would be in a much better position to fortify the line for next season. Adding Vasquez -- just 25 years old and the 13th-best guard, according to Pro Football Focus in 2012 -- would put Chicago in a more comfortable position heading into Trestman's inaugural season.

To properly evaluate Cutler in this new offensive system, he'll need to be better protected than he was in 2012.

Awesome, thanks. you're right though, nothing new here. Gonna love seeing a fast paced, "fun" offense. April 25th needs to come already so we can get more of an idea what this team will look like!

Although i love the draft prospects im more interested in FA as that SHOULD give us an idea of what we will do in draft

Although i love the draft prospects im more interested in FA as that SHOULD give us an idea of what we will do in draft

I agree but I was talking more along the lines of what the finished product will look like....FA will give us all more to talk about though which is nice because right now this little dead period blows.

I agree but I was talking more along the lines of what the finished product will look like....FA will give us all more to talk about though which is nice because right now this little dead period blows.

Yeah i know it. In the passed when i had a normal day job. I stayed away from board during this time. But hell now this board(you) help me get thru some days

Yeah i know it. In the passed when i had a normal day job. I stayed away from board during this time. But hell now this board(you) help me get thru some days

But you had me to entertain you at good ole "West", LOL

I never thought I would say this but there are times I miss the "grind" at West.

I don't have Insiders, but I read it off another forum, and it basically says a lot of nothing. Nothing we don't already know.

- Trestman likely to run a pass happy, spread it out, motion offense, with shotgun and 3-5 step drops.

- Defense will remain similar

- The Bears have OG issues, Louis Vasquez is an OG, therefore they should sign Louis Vasquez..

Exactly why I come to this board every day! I don't care what the pundits say anymore they usually are so far behind what we're covering on this board it's worthless. In fact a few years back we were suspecting someone was writing articles for a major Chicago paper based on our discussions. The only thing I want out of ESPN et al is the latest news on signings and of course some rumors as those guys are often connected to front office insiders. That stuff we always get for free as they can't keep it locked up for more than 5min these days.

My favorite part:

To properly evaluate Cutler in this new offensive system, he'll need to be better protected than he was in 2012.

Been saying it for years.

I've been reading a lot of insider info on Cutler lately and don't like what I'm seeing. One former Bears coach said he's uncontrollable.

I like Cutler and hope he succeeds. This will be his make or break year with the Bears.

I've been reading a lot of insider info on Cutler lately and don't like what I'm seeing. One former Bears coach said he's uncontrollable.

I like Cutler and hope he succeeds. This will be his make or break year with the Bears.

Lets focus on controlling the oline to ensure cutler doesn't get killed. I bet that would go a long ways

I'd be a little upset if I were him, too. Imagine being in his situation. He knows he has skill. He knows he has an arm. He wants desperately to prove himself, to put up stats. He finally got a WR he loves throwing the ball to. But every single year he's been here the OL has been horrible. And it has barely got a sniff of attention. And THEN, when he toughs it out, when he gets battered worse than probably any Bear QB in Chicago Bears history, he gets ripped for being a upset and for chewing out teammates? Fans calling him out for making poor mistakes when all he's trying to do is make good throws and win games, only he can't because at this point he doesn't know if he has a whole second to throw the ball (and he certainly doesn't have time to go through reads). It'd make me even more pissed off if I were him.