Bears expected to be in the bidding for OG, Andy Levitre

Bears4Ever_34

The Chicago Sun Times reports that the Bears are expected to be involved in the bidding for free agent OG Andy Levitre.

Levitre, 27 in May, has now been linked to Chicago and Tennessee, with Detroit also floated as a less likely suitor. He'd be a great addition to a Bears offensive line that has experienced interior woes several seasons running. Bears GM Phil Emery may target Levitre first, and treat Brandon Moore as a fallback option. Mar 8 - 4:57 PM

Source: Chicago Sun Times

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5310/andy-levitre

What you need to realize that a lot of sources link players to teams only because they have a need. It is hard to sort out what is actual and what isnt. I dont see anyway we go after a 7 to 8 mil player no matter who he is because our our cap situation. Who ever we go after it wont be more than a 5 mil a year type player and its going to take a lot of shifting to get to that.

What you need to realize that a lot of sources link players to teams only because they have a need. It is hard to sort out what is actual and what isnt. I dont see anyway we go after a 7 to 8 mil player no matter who he is because our our cap situation. Who ever we go after it wont be more than a 5 mil a year type player and its going to take a lot of shifting to get to that.

If the Bears want Levitre they will find a way to create the money necessary to sign him, at the right price. It's also possible though that he may become too expensive. The report didn't say they're going to sign him, it said they are likely to be in the bidding.

If the Bears want Levitre they will find a way to create the money necessary to sign him, at the right price. It's also possible though that he may become too expensive. The report didn't say they're going to sign him, it said they are likely to be in the bidding.

Yep, we literally have no idea right now as there's been no cutting/extending/restructuring happen yet. They very well could get up near the 20M Dallas freed up a little bit ago.

I mentioned this earlier but if we want to sign a guy for 7-8 million, we will find a way to do it. It's not a big deal. I really don't believe Julius Peppers will keep a 16+ million cap hit this year. I look for us to extend Peanut.

What's interesting is this is the 2nd report of the Bears looking at a guard within the last day. Not a tackle but a guard. Usually where there is smoke there is fire. For instance, last year we were rumored to want DE Mario Williams. We made a 50 million $$$ offer to DE Jeremy Mincey. When that failed we drafted Shea McClellen in the first round. Like it or not, last year DE was priority #1. We ignored Jason's warnings and ignored the o-line.

It's not a surprise we are seeking offensive line help. What is surprising is that it is not offensive tackle help. It might be the cost, or it might be the belief the J Webb and Carimi are not as horrible as we believe them to be. It could be that we are keeping it a secret. It'll be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign Levitre and then draft an OT in round #1. It makes sense as we can't replace the entire damn line in one offseason.

Yep, we literally have no idea right now as there's been no cutting/extending/restructuring happen yet. They very well could get up near the 20M Dallas freed up a little bit ago.

I hope they can do that, but am trying to be the voice of reason. I think we find money to spend but it will be to bring some of our own back, and get some help in a couple places NOT one big signing. I am with all you guys desire to add something spectacular. I have read in a couple different places where we want Scott/OT (as a swing tackle), Louis (assuming he is healthy), Idonije, and Hayden to come back. With Melton all of this will not come cheap. I think there are a lot of players we would like but at our price. So it comes down to who. Lets want Long, Levirte, Wallace, and Cook, but it aint going to happen. Lets say Brandon Moore and Dustin Keller will be more the type. All of us are saying what we want and what we wish, but we dont run the Bears.

Thats a good name and one that would be reasonably.

Except New England guys always seem to over-achieve in New England and disappoint whenever they sign for big money elsewhere. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is true at least 90% of the time. Aside from the DE/LB who signed with Baltimore a few years back (whose name momentarily escapes me) I struggle to think of anybody who has impressed after they left.

The Bears did sign Brandon Merriweather after New England dumped him. Not good.

Except New England guys always seem to over-achieve in New England and disappoint whenever they sign for big money elsewhere. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is true at least 90% of the time. Aside from the DE/LB who signed with Baltimore a few years back (whose name momentarily escapes me) I struggle to think of anybody who has impressed after they left.

The Bears did sign Brandon Merriweather after New England dumped him. Not good.

Those situations have to be compared on a one and one basis. We dont go after someone because Merriweather sucked? Find me a OL guy who left, and who failed. I dont recall one.

I hope they can do that, but am trying to be the voice of reason. I think we find money to spend but it will be to bring some of our own back, and get some help in a couple places NOT one big signing. I am with all you guys desire to add something spectacular. I have read in a couple different places where we want Scott/OT (as a swing tackle), Louis (assuming he is healthy), Idonije, and Hayden to come back. With Melton all of this will not come cheap. I think there are a lot of players we would like but at our price. So it comes down to who. Lets want Long, Levirte, Wallace, and Cook, but it aint going to happen. Lets say Brandon Moore and Dustin Keller will be more the type. All of us are saying what we want and what we wish, but we dont run the Bears.

The Bear players you mentioned who are free agents, please tell me if you disagree with my projection based on what the media is saying. A lot of this is the general impression:

Scott: He will return

Louis: He will return

Idonije: Gone

Hayden: Gone

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have all 4 back. I'll add that I think Urlacher is gone. I'm just basing this on the impression the Chicago media has given me. I listen to the SCORE a lot and read the scribes. Idonije was on the SCORE last night and seemed discouraged he hadn't been signed. Hayden wants to be a starting CB. Urlacher wants $$$.

The Bear players you mentioned who are free agents, please tell me if you disagree with my projection based on what the media is saying. A lot of this is the general impression:

Scott: He will return

Louis: He will return

Idonije: Gone

Hayden: Gone

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have all 4 back. I'll add that I think Urlacher is gone. I'm just basing this on the impression the Chicago media has given me. I listen to the SCORE a lot and read the scribes. Idonije was on the SCORE last night and seemed discouraged he hadn't been signed. Hayden wants to be a starting CB. Urlacher wants $$$.

I think your probably right, but a good chance Idonije comes back. He played well last year, can play DT/DE and will come cheap. Sounds like a do for me.

Those situations have to be compared on a one and one basis. We dont go after someone because Merriweather sucked? Find me a OL guy who left, and who failed. I dont recall one.

New England always has guys leaving and then sucking. Under the Bellichick era the the first guys were Drew Bledsoe and Lawyer Milloy. I admit I can't think of any NE offensive linemen leaving and sucking . . . but the good ones seem to stay and the bad ones aren't wanted. I'm sure there have been some mediocre guys in this mix who haven't drawn much attention.

New England always has guys leaving and then sucking. Under the Bellichick era the the first guys were Drew Bledsoe and Lawyer Milloy. I admit I can't think of any NE offensive linemen leaving and sucking . . . but the good ones seem to stay and the bad ones aren't wanted. I'm sure there have been some mediocre guys in this mix who haven't drawn much attention.

It's not that he's not wanted. He's the swing guard and they won't pay him starter money to stay. NE has arguably the best guard combo in the league. He'll start for someone this season.

What's interesting is this is the 2nd report of the Bears looking at a guard within the last day. Not a tackle but a guard. Usually where there is smoke there is fire. For instance, last year we were rumored to want DE Mario Williams. We made a 50 million $$$ offer to DE Jeremy Mincey. When that failed we drafted Shea McClellen in the first round. Like it or not, last year DE was priority #1. We ignored Jason's warnings and ignored the o-line.

It's not a surprise we are seeking offensive line help. What is surprising is that it is not offensive tackle help. It might be the cost, or it might be the belief the J Webb and Carimi are not as horrible as we believe them to be. It could be that we are keeping it a secret. It'll be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign Levitre and then draft an OT in round #1. It makes sense as we can't replace the entire damn line in one offseason.

That's my thougt, as you can't replace the whole thing at once. Look at what we have. We have nothing at OG or backup C. Nothing!

At tackle we have Webb who's 24 and iimproving. Carimi is 24 and a year removed from surgery and should improve. Brown is 23 and a project. Hopefully Scott will round this unit to make it reliable.

We need 2 new starting guards now. Louis can not be counted on this year and can be signed cheap. Garza is no spring chicken and has hit his ceiling long ago. Build it inside out and you'll see a quicker result.

That's my thougt, as you can't replace the whole thing at once. Look at what we have. We have nothing at OG or backup C. Nothing!

At tackle we have Webb who's 24 and iimproving. Carimi is 24 and a year removed from surgery and should improve. Brown is 23 and a project. Hopefully Scott will round this unit to make it reliable.

We need 2 new starting guards now. Louis can not be counted on this year and can be signed cheap. Garza is no spring chicken and has hit his ceiling long ago. Build it inside out and you'll see a quicker result.

Don't forget that Louis also played RT for a while. So the interest in FA OGs is a bit of a surprise, but indicates the new regime has a plan for the OL.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/category.../chicago-bears/

Says the Bears have basically contacted everybody, lol.

Andy Levitre

Eric Winston

Mike Wallace

Greg Jennings

Brandon Moore

Ramon Foster

Maybe we are just being thorough. Maybe we contacted their agents about someone else. Otherwise, I can't even fathom why we are inquiring about Jennings and Wallace. The only other obvious answer is that it's a smoke-screen. But that's too stupid to even be a smoke-screen.