The Saints tendered RFA center Brian DeLaPuente

Stinger226

How about grabbing the center from the Saints , but we would have to give up our 2nd round pick. That would give us the option and move Garza back to LG. Brown should be developed by the time Garza quits.

Just a thought.

When we could possibly draft one (Jones) in the 2nd for a lower cap hit? I'll pass.

You can find good centers in the later rounds. Teams don't put as much value on that position. This guy went undrafted, and was a journeyman for years until Kromer got his hands on him. Let him do it again, and spend a 2nd rounder on someone else.

He is a sure thing, anybody you draft has a little bit of ??????

He is a sure thing, anybody you draft has a little bit of ??????

Yes, but how many centers do you ever see get traded for a pick that high? It's just not a position that garners that much value, trade wise.

7 out of the top 10 offenses in the NFL last year had starting centers that were taken in the 6th round or later, and the top 2 (New Orleans and New England) had centers that were undrafted. A 2nd round pick is just too valuable to spend on a position that you could probably find somebody just as good in the latter part of the draft.

Yes, but how many centers do you ever see get traded for a pick that high? It's just not a position that garners that much value, trade wise.

7 out of the top 10 offenses in the NFL last year had starting centers that were taken in the 6th round or later, and the top 2 (New Orleans and New England) had centers that were undrafted. A 2nd round pick is just too valuable to spend on a position that you could probably find somebody just as good in the latter part of the draft.

I agree. No way would i ever trade a 2nd for a C. Especially when we have so many other holes to fill 1st and garza may not be good but he is serviceable

Actually its not a trade, that is the pick we have to give up when you grab a tendered player

A team could work around that- I understand that a tendered player is different from a tagged player, but if the Saints wanted to lower their asking price they could....but they won't...especially to another NFC that is an OL away. The league wouldn't stop the Saints from dealing DLP for a 3rd or 4th Rounder if they wanted to do so. An example was Brandon Marshall after being tagged by the Broncos years ago required if he were traded it would have to be for a 1st in return while they actually took two 2nd Rounders for him from Miami.

For a second rounder? Hell yeah!!

Reasons why

1. Some view Garza as the worst starting center in the NFL. Regardless if you agree, he's not great. Average is his ceiling.

2. If the Bears get DeLaPuente, Garza can fill the RG hole until Louis is healthy.

3. The Bears can feel better about drafting an OG early in the draft since there are some very good ones available.

4. DLP has experience with Kromer, which would greatly speed up the learning curve for the OL and the offense.

5. DLP is young, and already on the verge of being an all-star for many years to come.

6. DLP is rated by some as the best player on the highly touted Saints OL (you'll love this scs)

Well worth a 2nd round pick that will essentially be a crap-shoot anyway.

It's not a bad thought if they can address OG in FA and also either a TE or resign Urlacher/Roach.

In a perfect world...

An OG and Roach OR Urlacher would mean Eifert in the first.

An OG and a TE would mean Ogletree in the first.

and then you even further solidify the line with a huge upgrade at OC.

Also from what I'm hearing, Louis will be ready for camp and should be able to play week 1...Adding DLP could mean cutting Garza to cover whatever it is DLP is making.

It's not a bad thought if they can address OG in FA and also either a TE or resign Urlacher/Roach.

In a perfect world...

An OG and Roach OR Urlacher would mean Eifert in the first.

An OG and a TE would mean Ogletree in the first.

and then you even further solidify the line with a huge upgrade at OC.

Also from what I'm hearing, Louis will be ready for camp and should be able to play week 1...Adding DLP could mean cutting Garza to cover whatever it is DLP is making.

Or moving Garza to the other OG spot to hold on to until a rookie or FA steps up?

Or moving Garza to the other OG spot to hold on to until a rookie or FA steps up?

If we draft Cooper or Warmack there's no need for that. I'm not advocating that we cut Garza, I think he's very valuable to our organization but I don't view him as a player we couldn't replace and live without. I don't see it happening but right now with this new regime in place (including Emery here too because now he has "his" coach) I'm not ruling anything out.

Eh they could but like you said Garza was one of the worst centers in football last year, I'm not so sure moving him back to LG would all of sudden make him an above average lineman.

Eh they could but like you said Garza was one of the worst centers in football last year, I'm not so sure moving him back to LG would all of sudden make him an above average lineman.

Agreed. He won't become a stud at OG all the sudden, but I think he'd be better at OG than he was at Center, and most people on this board are saying Garza had a decent year. At the very least, he's probably better at OG than the alternate possibility.

For a second rounder? Hell yeah!!

Reasons why

1. Some view Garza as the worst starting center in the NFL. Regardless if you agree, he's not great. Average is his ceiling.

2. If the Bears get DeLaPuente, Garza can fill the RG hole until Louis is healthy.

3. The Bears can feel better about drafting an OG early in the draft since there are some very good ones available.

4. DLP has experience with Kromer, which would greatly speed up the learning curve for the OL and the offense.

5. DLP is young, and already on the verge of being an all-star for many years to come.

6. DLP is rated by some as the best player on the highly touted Saints OL (you'll love this scs)

Well worth a 2nd round pick that will essentially be a crap-shoot anyway.

This!

You can find good centers in the later rounds. Teams don't put as much value on that position. This guy went undrafted, and was a journeyman for years until Kromer got his hands on him. Let him do it again, and spend a 2nd rounder on someone else.

How true is that about guards and centers? You also always hear that about safeties and running backs. The Bears drafted a safety every year for like 10 years straight. Not to mention bringing in guys like Archuletta and Merriweather. Chris Harris was good for a 5th rounder it was mostly busts. Currently our top 3 are all 3rd round picks in Major Wright, Conte, and Hardin.

We haven't taken that many o-lineman, but Josh Beckman was a 4th round heir apparent to Kreutz. He might have exited the league before Kreutz did. Meanwhile Matt Forte was a high 2nd round pick.

As for DeLaPuente, I'm skeptical and I'd rather we kept our pick. But we're at the point where we can assume we will find any gem late aside from a special teamer.