Martellus Bennett is a Bear

Ed Hochuli 3:16

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm n the vast minority here. It means Rodriguez is sort of wasted. On top of that I'm not completely sold on the guy. One huge year. That's it. Why didn't he produce with the cowboys? If he's that good you'd think he would have got more PT/stats even though Witten was there.

I guess I'm n the vast minority here. It means Rodriguez is sort of wasted. On top of that I'm not completely sold on the guy. One huge year. That's it. Why didn't he produce with the cowboys? If he's that good you'd think he would have got more PT/stats even though Witten was there.

Not many opportunities sitting behind Witten. I also think playing behind a guy that you know you can't supplant will demoralize you some. I still have hope for Rodriguez, but with Bennett you get a complete package with blocking/recieving.

From the highlight video I see a guy who can go up over the top of defenders to make catches, can adjust to make the back shoulder fade, knows how to find the soft spot in a zone, and can make some diving catches. His speed doesn't look that great but he's fast enough to work well against LBs and good enough of a receiver to be a threat down the middle or on the outside. Is he a one year wonder or was he just wasting on the bench behind a Hall of Fame player in Witten?

Stephen A. might not have liked him but I bet Eli is going to miss him.

Witten got like 125+ targets year after year when he was there. Romo throws his way a ton. He was relegated to run blocking until he got to New York. I think he's a risky signing because I'm afraid his play might go in the toilet once he gets the money. I hear he is quite the character. Other than that though, the guy was the most complete TE on the market. Great blocker, good pass catcher, great athlete.. He can play all 3 downs. If he plays like he did with the Giants, he'll be a terrific signing.

Rodriguez isn't the guy you want at the Y in a West Coast offense. He's not a very good inline blocker, and most likely will play the Aaron Hernandez role as an F, where they'll move him around all over the field.

The Pats use Gronk and Hernandez pretty effectively, even with Welker getting a ton of targets. So I see Bennett as the primary TE, and Rodriquez getting moved around a lot.

For Bennett on the Cowboys, he was stuck behind the Romo Witten love fest.

Aaron Hernandez, a player Rodriguez has been compared to, still gets a ton of work in even with Gronk around, 2 TEs can work in the NFL. Rodriguez panning out makes the offense even more dynamic if ask me. This offense can be sexy as hell next year.

Adam beat me to it on the Gronk/Hernandez comp.

The rumored knock on Bennett in Dallas was that he didn't work hard. Going to the Giants became a wakeup call for him and he was out to prove his former team wrong. I hope that attitude continues especially in a division that has some decent TEs that the Bears face twice a year.

Aaron Hernandez, a player Rodriguez has been compared to, still gets a ton of work in even with Gronk around, 2 TEs can work in the NFL. Rodriguez panning out makes the offense even more dynamic if ask me. This offense can be sexy as hell next year.

Adam beat me to it on the Gronk/Hernandez comp.

I get it, but Chicago is not New England. And until Chicago starts to embrace the concept of offense, I just don't see how this dream scenario comes to fruition. I hope it does. And I hope Bennett/ERod turns into Gronk/Hernandez. I've just been a Chicago fan too long to believe it's going to happen.

I get it, but Chicago is not New England. And until Chicago starts to embrace the concept of offense, I just don't see how this dream scenario comes to fruition. I hope it does. And I hope Bennett/ERod turns into Gronk/Hernandez. I've just been a Chicago fan too long to believe it's going to happen.

And when was the last time we had an offensive minded head coach?? They've already embraced the concept of offense with the Trestman hire.

They probably won't be as good as Gronk/Hernandez but they can certainly be utilized in some of the same ways. I'm not ready to call the ERod pick a waste yet till I see how he's utilized.

Paging Twiggy, here's the breakdown on the Bennett contract.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,3570636.story

2013 $4.5 million signing bonus, $715,000 base salary, $100,000 workout bonus

Total: $5.315 million

Cap figure: $1.94 million

2014 $4.8 million base salary, $100,000 workout bonus

Total: $4.9 million

Cap figure: $6.025 million

2015 $4.9 million base salary, $100,000

Total: $5 million

Cap figure: $6.125 million

2016 $5.085 million base salary, $100,000 workout bonus

Total: $5.185 million

Cap figure: $6.31 million

Very cap friendly this year then takes a hit the following years...He'll be worth it IMO.

No breakdown on the Bushrod contract yet

Paging Twiggy, here's the breakdown on the Bennett contract.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,3570636.story

Very cap friendly this year then takes a hit the following years...He'll be worth it IMO.

No breakdown on the Bushrod contract yet

So we got Bushrod and Bennett for a cap hit of less than $5 million this year. That is really nice.

I watched the Bennet press conference. A couple things stand out.

1) He clearly stated he had to grow up and accept his role and he learned to do that after a couple seasons and then started to excel as a blocker (his role).

2) He clearly stated he never wants to be the second guy...always wants to be #1 option. During most of the press conference he was all smiles but in the instant he made this statement his face changed to a serious and focused expression. (about 1/3 of the way into the video on the Bears site). Body language gives away much of what we really feel but it's usually just the small glimpse that tells the true story. I think there's more to his desire to be a good player than what is being made of his dinosaur and Harry Potter quotes in the media. I think we're going to be happy to have him here.

I watched the Bennet press conference. A couple things stand out.

1) He clearly stated he had to grow up and accept his role and he learned to do that after a couple seasons and then started to excel as a blocker (his role).

2) He clearly stated he never wants to be the second guy...always wants to be #1 option. During most of the press conference he was all smiles but in the instant he made this statement his face changed to a serious and focused expression. (about 1/3 of the way into the video on the Bears site). Body language gives away much of what we really feel but it's usually just the small glimpse that tells the true story. I think there's more to his desire to be a good player than what is being made of his dinosaur and Harry Potter quotes in the media. I think we're going to be happy to have him here.

Any body quoting Harry Potter is OK in my book

So we got Bushrod and Bennett for a cap hit of less than $5 million this year. That is really nice.

Maybe. But it's extremely nice to be buyers each year. There are so many teams in cap hell right now. Meanwhile the Patriots are in great shape. The trick is going all in to win each year while giving yourself flexibility to sign guys in the future.

The issue I have is that the same teams that are in the race EVERY year never do anything in free agency. That is why drafting is the key. What has New England, Green Bay, Atlanta, Giants, Ravens, Steelers done this offseason? Signed what, 3 players who played elsewhere in 2012? I hope the Bears can be in that position soon. Meanwhile Miami and Indianapolis spent money like clowns, and in 3 years, half of the guys they signed will be playing on other teams.