Bears Sign Bushrod

scs787

Updated title and merged the two threads. While I liked another LT more, I really can't complain. Kramer is comfortable with him and knows him and obviously believes he can protect and do a good job. This also allows our RT spot to get significantly better (I think Webb over their is a huge huge upgrade over the pile of feces Carimi was). Carimi can now compete at guard or prove/earn a job at the tackle spot.

Bears now can look at guard in the draft (possibly) or can move on to linebacker / best player available in the 1st round (which is quite nice). Can't argue that the Bears just filled 2 of their biggest needs (TE & Oline help) via free agency. I'm sure this was a very expensive signing.

On paper, the Bears look to have made out so far in free agency, but these are two moves that come with a lot of risk. Bennett has only had one good year as a TE. What will he do now that he's got all the money? Bushrod is probably getting a nice chunk of change, but he better be a lot better than Jamarcus Webb. I'm not sure he is... We'll see.

I like the upgrade...

Could it have been more, yes. Could it have been less, yes.

I'll take it.

Bennett and Bushrod are fine additions that make the draft a little more fluid. We can move with a little more BPA in mind than solely need... Although, I'd still like at least 2 OL drafted...if not 3.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Source: #Bears and reps for #Saints LT Jermon Bushrod are finishing up a long-term deal. #JayCutlersmiles

On paper, the Bears look to have made out so far in free agency, but these are two moves that come with a lot of risk.

I always look at it as did you address the needs? To me this filled the two biggest needs and allows you to go BPA in the draft (which is huge). Albeit, I expect LB/Guard in the first two rounds. I'd get pretty stoked if the top guard is on the board at 20. If he is...draft him and I'll be even happier. A good young guard to go with a good (not great) LT which also makes the RT spot better (with Webb sliding over) would be huge, imo.

Updated title and merged the two threads. While I liked another LT more, I really can't complain. Kramer is comfortable with him and knows him and obviously believes he can protect and do a good job. This also allows our RT spot to get significantly better (I think Webb over their is a huge huge upgrade over the pile of feces Carimi was). Carimi can now compete at guard or prove/earn a job at the tackle spot.

Bears now can look at guard in the draft (possibly) or can move on to linebacker / best player available in the 1st round (which is quite nice). Can't argue that the Bears just filled 2 of their biggest needs (TE & Oline help) via free agency. I'm sure this was a very expensive signing.

This helps improve 2 spots on the line. Now our draft will look for OG, LB, , and WR in RD1.

Thought I'd throw this in.

Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears

And a long-term deal for Henry Melton could be on the horizon to lower that $8.45 million salary cap number.

More money to spend if it happens. I look for them to sign a cheap FA guard now, and then possibly wrapping it up by re-signing some of their own guys.

What I like here is; the tackle battle will be where it should be. The right side. Going into a season debating the skills and who your left tackle will be is unsettleing. The right side is always where the struggle crack the atrting lineup should be. Webb and Carimi are both young and capable of improvement. Let the "optimistic" debate begin...

Sean Jensen ‏@seankjensen

Salary cap number for #Bears LT Jermon Bushrod for 2013 is $3.01 million, according to league source. #Bears had $7.01 million on Monday.

Sean Jensen ‏@seankjensen

Safe bet that Martellus Bennett cap number for 2013 is around or even below Bushrod's. As I keep saying, they can always create more...

So lets 6M against the cap for Bushrod AND Bennett, thats pretty solid. Not a huge fan of the Bushrod move but that's cheap enough for me not to hate.

With any sort of cuts/restructuring/extensions we still very well can resign a good bunch of our own....Louis, Izzy, and Roach would be nice.

I like this. Now we truly have an average Oline player which is a Bears fan's way of saying UPGRADE. Bushrod at least is good enough that if we have to help him in some games it can be done. Versus Webb who can't figure out the delayed blitz and stunts. I'd say the draft still remains wide open for us in terms of drafting a RT (Fluker) and an OG.