Bears best move is the one they didnt make

Stinger226

Even the most pessimistic types have to tip the cap to the Bears for the big splash they made as free-agency season opened this week.

Martellus Bennett has a chance to be more of a difference-maker at tight end than the Bears have had since Mike Ditka.

As a bonus, Bennett, who joins his third team in seven years, seems delightfully flaky.

DAN MCNEIL

Jermon Bushrod gives the Bears something they haven't had since John Tait — a professional offensive tackle. Marc Trestman's offensive line is going to need more than just one newbie, but the former Saint instantly makes the Bears better up front, and his position — left tackle — isn't going to be changed. No more "Musical Bears."

What has me grinning, however, is the move the Bears didn't make. They let Tuesday's 3 p.m. opening bell for the meat market come and go without reupping with middle linebacker Brian Urlacher.

How refreshing. General manager Phil Emery, devoid of sentiment, willfully invited one of Chicago's favorite sons to hit the bricks. Bravo.

It's true the Bears have not prepared for life without Urlacher, but I like the calculated gamble. Urlacher's camp was seeking $5 million.

It's a good thing Emery didn't consider public opinion and blindly cling to the best player in a Bears uniform over the last 25 years.

Let the Vikings overpay for a 35-year-old, once-great player who is destined to spend training camp in an ice tub. Whether it's Minnesota, Dallas or Arizona (all rumored to be interested), it's a lock Urlacher's new best friend will be the trainer.

Emery, now in his second year, perhaps learned from the mistake he made last offseason. I suspected the two-year contract he extended to Matt Forte was an effort to keep peace in the locker room, where Forte has been popular.

This isn't hindsight. I said it and wrote it before the deal. The Bears would have been smart to put the franchise tag on Forte and let him prove his chops one more year before making a large commitment.

The NFL isn't a business that lends itself to sentimentality. I marvel at some of those who've used words like "disrespectul" and "insulting" when analyzing Urlacher's financial arrangement with the Bears.

Was the moody Hall of Fame-bound linebacker "respectful" of his employer when he whined and threatened to hold out — while under contract — a half-dozen years ago? Foolishly, Jerry Angelo placated Urlacher and gave him several million dollars when he wasn't even obligated to buy him dinner.

If Urlacher's teammates are "hurt" by his departure, they'll get over it. Those veterans who remain — Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, Julius Peppers, maybe Israel Idonije — will be banging heads to protect their own financial futures.

And it's likely at least three of those players won't even be wearing football gear when the contracts of Emery and Trestman reach maturation.

The guys who wear helmets are expendable. Those who wear hats and neckties aren't.

The GM and the new coach are on the most solid ground that exists at Halas Hall. It's a breath of fresh air they're acting like it.

When Urlacher, with bad knees, hamstrings, a surgically repairing cervical spine and who knows what else, calls it quits, it then will be time to throw bouquets at him for his remarkable Bears career. Now is not the time to honor what he was.

What he will be is the guy in Bennett's rearview mirror when the tight end gets behind him in coverage and burns the once-special linebacker.

If Urlacher wears purple, Bennett and his new teammates will have two chances to do that next season.

If, that is, Urlacher dresses for both NFC North meetings.

Special contributor Dan McNeil hosts "The McNeil and Spiegel Show" weekdays from 9

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counting you and he, two peoples 'opinions'. Of which like a-holes, most everyone's got.

Piece o' crap editorial. That is my 'opine'.

Agree, a lot of people spouting off on the man and he very well may be back. His play lacked, but if it was as bad as some say, then how did we maintain a top d all year. MLB in this scheme is the #2 key in running it.

Counting you and he, two peoples 'opinions'. Of which like a-holes, most everyone's got.

Piece o' crap editorial. That is my 'opine'.

Buy a Urlacher doll if you want to hug him, Im interested in a winning football team. Like Ditka said(losers live in the past) When he retires I will admire his great moments, but when I want my football team to succeed, hes not worth it.I would bring him back on the cheap, but to pay him a lot of money for the performance your going to get is counterproductive to a winning football team. He can come back and be a leader, but if you want a good football player, we need someone else. DEAL WITH IT

For Urlacher it is going to come down to money vs health. If healthy, he is probably better than 99% of the options out there at this point. If he is healthy, he then has to fit into the tight cap space and be willing to accept less money. If all those can be met, re-signing him is a good move. Not for sentimental reasons, but because he gives the Bears the best chance to win.

If he is not healthy, or will not accept less pay, he is a goner.

Guest TerraTor

One thing that i must say

Peyton Manning flat out lied to the Colts. and yet, constant praise and rainbows....Ya know what tho, freak HIM

Nothing to do with Urlachers play, resign, or anything. Im just making a point.

$5mil/yr too much for me. If we get Urlacher for a value similar to what Roach signed for I'm ok with it...shorter term of course. That's probably still a bit higher than his play warrants but he is a better leader for the defense and getting players lined up before the snap has value.

Agree, a lot of people spouting off on the man and he very well may be back. His play lacked, but if it was as bad as some say, then how did we maintain a top d all year. MLB in this scheme is the #2 key in running it.

Exactly. I don't know where this Urlacher hate comes from all the sudden. Was he an pro-bowler last year? Absolutely not. Is he washed up? Absolutely not. If he were, the defense would have suffered tremendously.

If we got a nickel for every swinging d$&% j-ass Chicago sports personality that poo-poo'ed guys, we'd be able to buy the franchise...

I truly hope he is back. He offers more than lack of athleticism at this point. Wisdom. We need to find an heir. But, that heir needs a little time under his wing.

Exactly. I don't know where this Urlacher hate comes from all the sudden. Was he an pro-bowler last year? Absolutely not. Is he washed up? Absolutely not. If he were, the defense would have suffered tremendously.

Of course, anyone who doesn't want the team to overpay for Urlacher hates him. Give me a break.

Peace :dabears

Of course, anyone who doesn't want the team to overpay for Urlacher hates him. Give me a break.

I dont hate him but am considering his football skills. He was my favorite Bear until Peppers got here. Does anybody remember last year when Lovie got fired and he said he dont care about the fans and they dont know anything? He was an oustanding football player at one time, but his time has passed. I think we can upgrade the position, so why not want that? If he comes back cheap I am for having him here. You dont pay people for there past performance, its detrimental to the team. I am huge Bear fan, but dont wear rose colored glasses. A good draft prospect will give us a better game that he will this year. He will be lucky to play 12 games any of his years going forward. Our GM and coach doesnt have the same loyality gene that Lovie carried with him. I want what is best for the team.

It sure does seem that way. I don't see how else you could propose offering the face of the franchise for the past decade a measly $2m contract. On his skill alone he's worth more than that. His skill, leadership, standing in the clubhouse, and knowledge of the defense, makes him easily worth more than that. But for some reason it's become popular to propose running him out of town early. If only this type of attitude was directed at the OL for the past five years.

It's the $2M per year thing that is what's ridiculous. Especially when scrubs on this team have received more. Especially when backups have received more.

I dont hate him but am considering his football skills. He was my favorite Bear until Peppers got here. Does anybody remember last year when Lovie got fired and he said he dont care about the fans and they dont know anything? He was an oustanding football player at one time, but his time has passed. I think we can upgrade the position, so why not want that? If he comes back cheap I am for having him here. You dont pay people for there past performance, its detrimental to the team. I am huge Bear fan, but dont wear rose colored glasses. A good draft prospect will give us a better game that he will this year. He will be lucky to play 12 games any of his years going forward. Our GM and coach doesnt have the same loyality gene that Lovie carried with him. I want what is best for the team.

What's funny is, he is EXACTLY what's best for the team. Part of the reason the Bears got Peppers was, no doubt, because of the atmosphere Lovie created. Like him or not as a coach, the players enjoyed playing for him. That permeated to other players around the league. It told them the Bears were an organization to play for. A family. Dropping Urlacher now, when we already know the disparity for contract is minimal, says exactly the opposite. On top of that, his play works out well for the other team needs. There are enough needs that it makes sense to hold on to him for a 2-year contract, and fix the more glaring issues on the team. You know, like multiple on the OL, Safety, TE, and OLB.

It'd be different if he straight up sucked last year. But he didn't, and any representation trying to prove such is just false. He was average. You pay him as an average player, chip in a few bonus possibilities, and let him retire a Bear. That's how you do business. Signing someone else and dropping Urlacher like a bad habit may be better in the next 2 years or so, but long-term I believe it has a negative effect.

It sure does seem that way. I don't see how else you could propose offering the face of the franchise for the past decade a measly $2m contract. On his skill alone he's worth more than that. His skill, leadership, standing in the clubhouse, and knowledge of the defense, makes him easily worth more than that. But for some reason it's become popular to propose running him out of town early. If only this type of attitude was directed at the OL for the past five years.

It's the $2M per year thing that is what's ridiculous. Especially when scrubs on this team have received more. Especially when backups have received more.

Your perceived value of him. He has been paid handsomely to be the face of the franchise. I say a hometown discount is not going from 7.5 to 5 million a year. Given what he has been paid in the past, given his value in the Chicagoland market from an advertising standpoint, given his current level of ability, I say he is worth no more than 2.5 million a year. Hell, I would say give him a bonus million if he plays all 16 games after the fact.

Your perceived value of him. He has been paid handsomely to be the face of the franchise. I say a hometown discount is not going from 7.5 to 5 million a year. Given what he has been paid in the past, given his value in the Chicagoland market from an advertising standpoint, given his current level of ability, I say he is worth no more than 2.5 million a year. Hell, I would say give him a bonus million if he plays all 16 games after the fact.

You don't think he'd negotiate lower than 5m? That's where I have a problem. 2-2.5 is a straight up slap in the face (not to mention not even replying to his original offer). It doesn't take much financial maneuvering to get an extra million out of there and meet closer to the middle.

You don't think he'd negotiate lower than 5m? That's where I have a problem. 2-2.5 is a straight up slap in the face (not to mention not even replying to his original offer). It doesn't take much financial maneuvering to get an extra million out of there and meet closer to the middle.

Slap in the face? Angelo gave him an extra year in the middle of his contract. He has been treated extremely well by this franchise. I don't what he has told his agent. I think that once he realizes he's not going to get 4 to 5 million a year, he's going to sign with the Bears.

Guest TerraTor

I cant imagine him thinking hes gonna get 5per from any team. Even us. He prob wants 3.5 id say

Slap in the face? Angelo gave him an extra year in the middle of his contract. He has been treated extremely well by this franchise. I don't what he has told his agent. I think that once he realizes he's not going to get 4 to 5 million a year, he's going to sign with the Bears.

What he has been previously offered has no financial bearing on what he will be offered. And offering him 2 or 2.5m is, IMHO, a slap in the face to a guy who personifies the greatness of Chicago football down to the very position.

I desperately hope he resigns with the Bears and gets to prove he has plenty gas in the tank, and to prove his critics wrong.

What he has been previously offered has no financial bearing on what he will be offered. And offering him 2 or 2.5m is, IMHO, a slap in the face to a guy who personifies the greatness of Chicago football down to the very position.

I desperately hope he resigns with the Bears and gets to prove he has plenty gas in the tank, and to prove his critics wrong.

If he talks about giving a hometown discount, which I believe he had (could be wrong), then what he was previously paid obviously has everything to do with what he will be paid after you factor in things like age, skill level, etc.

I desperately want the Bears to win a Superbowl. If that means Url never plays a down again for the Bears, that's fine with me. If he does, great. If not, oh well. We'd have won a Superbowl.

If he talks about giving a hometown discount, which I believe he had (could be wrong), then what he was previously paid obviously has everything to do with what he will be paid after you factor in things like age, skill level, etc.

I desperately want the Bears to win a Superbowl. If that means Url never plays a down again for the Bears, that's fine with me. If he does, great. If not, oh well. We'd have won a Superbowl.

I am leaning in your direction Connorbear. Yeah, Url finishing a Bear would be icing on the cake. But it is a business and he's 35 with problem legs. If 2.5 mil is a "slap in the face" we really are warped.

Urlacher's performance over the last several years shows clearly what he is worth, right around 2 million a year....if he does not want to take that, give or take a bit, then send him packing. Loyalty runs both way and his play is deteriorating and he is not a good spokesman for the Bears.

I would love to see him go personally, he was once a good player but never a good ambassador, and the good player aspect is well behind him.