Bears best move is the one they didnt make

Stinger226

Here are the only ILB's that had over 500 snaps last year and are younger than Urlacher (with PFF ratings, stats, and age):

Brad Jones +9.0, 687 snaps, 56 tackles, 0 INT, 4 PD, 2 Sacks, Age: 27

Karlos Dansby +6.0, 1123 snaps, 101 tackles, 0 INT, 9 PD, 1 Sack, Age: 31

Bart Scott +1.1, 582 snaps, 36 tackles, 1 INT, 1 PD, 2.5 sacks, Age: 32

Chase Blackburn -10.9, 798 snaps, 64 tackles, 1 INT, 6 PD, 3 Sacks, Age: 29

Brian Urlacher -11.2, 726 snaps, 53 tackles, 1 INT, 7 PD, 0 Sacks, Age: 34

Rey Maualuga -26.2, 1047 snaps, 62 tackles, 0 INT, 4 PD, 1 Sack, Age: 26

Of these, who would come at the same price or cheaper and be better than Urlacher in the Bears' scheme in 2013? Jones or Dansby maybe, but would they come in at the same price or lower than Urlacher? Also, these are ILB's, not necessarily all MLB's. Slim pickings.

To me, unless you could get Jones or Dansby, then it would seem better to bring back Urlacher and groom someone like Ogletree or a 2nd Round pick for a year or two while he plays alongside Urlacher and then can move inside in 2014 or 2015.

I think his time has passed, I think he will struggle to be average, but like you said we dont have many choices. I would prefer someone else but if we bring him it is not the best interest of the team to pay him the 10 mil he wants for two years. I would give him 2.5 for one, but I guess that means I disrespect him or something. I think you pay players for what there worth, not on past laurels. He use to be my favorite Bear for many years, but I think it is time to look to the future, not live in the past.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daventry, I said it once and I'll say it again: I support Lovie Smith, am disappointed he's gone but will 'hope' the new regime can do better. As MadLith and I discussd, I am juxtaposed to where he was once. When Lovie was coach I was optimistic, he not so. Now we are swapped. I have "acknowledged" it now you need to comprehend that is where I stand.

The reference to the Eagles and Redskins dripped of sarcasm. If you were unable to comprehend that, my bad.

Since opinions are like therory, they can be flawed until scientifically (or statistically) proven otherwise. You say mine "seem flawed" then Ill surmise that you mean to say that I could be right. I suppose the fact remains to be played out.

It sounds like we are about the same age but whether either of us was a fan most of our 40ish years it doesn't take away from one being more right than the other. My youngest is a fan and has been most of her 9 years. Does that make her any less?

You can deride me further if you feel I necessary but I'll stay pat on my original thought. That being Urlacher deserves another shot as a Bear. Ill leave the expertise of contract negotiating to the experts.

Your position about Lovie has always been quite clear.

I got the reference/sarcasm, but thanks for clarifying.

I referenced the number of years I have been a fan after you made references about same, I never would think anyone is less or more based on number of years as a fan.

No derision needed, I am only interested in debating topics not putting people down.

Here are the only ILB's that had over 500 snaps last year and are younger than Urlacher (with PFF ratings, stats, and age):

Brad Jones +9.0, 687 snaps, 56 tackles, 0 INT, 4 PD, 2 Sacks, Age: 27

Karlos Dansby +6.0, 1123 snaps, 101 tackles, 0 INT, 9 PD, 1 Sack, Age: 31

Bart Scott +1.1, 582 snaps, 36 tackles, 1 INT, 1 PD, 2.5 sacks, Age: 32

Chase Blackburn -10.9, 798 snaps, 64 tackles, 1 INT, 6 PD, 3 Sacks, Age: 29

Brian Urlacher -11.2, 726 snaps, 53 tackles, 1 INT, 7 PD, 0 Sacks, Age: 34

Rey Maualuga -26.2, 1047 snaps, 62 tackles, 0 INT, 4 PD, 1 Sack, Age: 26

Of these, who would come at the same price or cheaper and be better than Urlacher in the Bears' scheme in 2013? Jones or Dansby maybe, but would they come in at the same price or lower than Urlacher? Also, these are ILB's, not necessarily all MLB's. Slim pickings.

To me, unless you could get Jones or Dansby, then it would seem better to bring back Urlacher and groom someone like Ogletree or a 2nd Round pick for a year or two while he plays alongside Urlacher and then can move inside in 2014 or 2015.

There are a few options still on the team, although not entirely attractive, in DiCicco, Costanzo, JT Thomas or 'yes' McClellin. All of these guys could potentially be developed if thought to be of any worth.

There are a few options still on the team, although not entirely attractive, in DiCicco, Costanzo, JT Thomas or 'yes' McClellin. All of these guys could potentially be developed if thought to be of any worth.

If that was the case for McClellin, you would think they would at least have played him as an OLB. Going from DE to MLB seems like a huge jump to me.

Here are some quotes from McCaskey on Urlacher:

How do you feel about the possibility that Brian Urlacher has played his last down as a Bear?

I can't answer that as just the chairman or as just a fan. As a fan, I would be ... heartbroken. But as the chairman, I have to leave those player personnel decisions in the hands of the pros. Bears fans should be very reassured that I don't involve myself in player personnel decisions unless there is a question of character. There is no question of character in Brian's case. He has been an outstanding player for us, a great team leader, the face of the franchise. He's going to be inducted in the Hall of Fame. In a perfect world, he would wear a Bears uniform until he's finished playing. But unfortunately that's not the way it always is today.

Late in the season Urlacher, in a response to a question about fan criticism of Lovie Smith, said he didn't care about fans, and that they don't know what they are talking about. What did you think about that?

I thought it was a player sticking up for his coach and speaking out of frustration. I think Brian will tell you if he had to do it all over again he would say it differently. I don't want to speak for Brian, but we all know how important the fans are. If it weren't for the fans, we wouldn't be here.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,4712817.story

Here are some quotes from McCaskey on Urlacher:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,4712817.story

I think the possibility exists that if he doesnt take our low ball offer to him, he retires. Other teams look at tape and see what he has to offer and find out he isnt worth the risk. If he decides to come back here at our price, do you think he becomes a problem in the locker room because he didnt get his price he wanted? I think he is quite a selfish player from the point of view of what he thinks he is worth. He held the franchise at bay when he demanded an extension a few years ago at about 10 mil a year. I always admired him as a player on the field but I think he has a big ego, and isnt going to give the Bears a discount.

I think the possibility exists that if he doesnt take our low ball offer to him, he retires. Other teams look at tape and see what he has to offer and find out he isnt worth the risk. If he decides to come back here at our price, do you think he becomes a problem in the locker room because he didnt get his price he wanted? I think he is quite a selfish player from the point of view of what he thinks he is worth. He held the franchise at bay when he demanded an extension a few years ago at about 10 mil a year. I always admired him as a player on the field but I think he has a big ego, and isnt going to give the Bears a discount.

Urlacher will not be getting what he wants. The Bears have shown that from the beginning of this process. If he was a priority, we would have heard counter offers. If the Bears do bring back Brian, it will be at their value. He knows his time is up and the silence treatment is reaffirming that. I think Brian seen how Kruetz was treated and realizes whats at stake and the Bears don't mess around.

Do you think he is worth 5 mil a year? I really understand your point. I think as a team leader, he can be used but if we have to pay 5 mil, we can get two starters for that. Its about what you place on him for valve.

I never replied to this. IDK if he's worth 5m a year. But he's worth more than 2m a year. He's arguably better than Ray Lewis the past two years (easy argument actually), but nobody would bring that up about Ray Lewis.

That's why I think it's in the team's best interest to sign him to around 3-3.5 per year for 2 years, let him have his swan song while bridging the gap with young players and hopefully leading to a championship. He'll help far more than he'll hurt.

I never replied to this. IDK if he's worth 5m a year. But he's worth more than 2m a year. He's arguably better than Ray Lewis the past two years (easy argument actually), but nobody would bring that up about Ray Lewis.

That's why I think it's in the team's best interest to sign him to around 3-3.5 per year for 2 years, let him have his swan song while bridging the gap with young players and hopefully leading to a championship. He'll help far more than he'll hurt.

Why would they pay that much there isnt anybody to bid against. Why pay him more than you have to . The best way to respect him is tell him you dont need him anymore so he can retire with grace. He is a big ego guy that thinks he has great valve, well it is time to look in the mirror,NOBODY WANTS HIM. He should say (give me two mil and lets try to win a Super Bowl on my last year), but he wont do that because he is to full of himself.

Why would they pay that much there isnt anybody to bid against. Why pay him more than you have to . The best way to respect him is tell him you dont need him anymore so he can retire with grace. He is a big ego guy that thinks he has great valve, well it is time to look in the mirror,NOBODY WANTS HIM. He should say (give me two mil and lets try to win a Super Bowl on my last year), but he wont do that because he is to full of himself.

It's too early for you to say that because you don't know that he won't say, "give me two mil and let try to win a Super Bowl." That could easily happen.

He may be too full of himself, but so might be Lance Louis, Jason Campbell, Kelvin Hayden, and every other free agent out there hoping for a better offer. It's March. Free agency started last Tuesday.

It's too early for you to say that because you don't know that he won't say, "give me two mil and let try to win a Super Bowl." That could easily happen.

He may be too full of himself, but so might be Lance Louis, Jason Campbell, Kelvin Hayden, and every other free agent out there hoping for a better offer. It's March. Free agency started last Tuesday.

Rarely do you find a NFL player that doesnt have a big ego, just stating that a way for him to save face by saying he wants one more run at it. He is only worth what the market bears, but then we should RESPECT HIM by giving him more than hes worth He should have went to the Bears and said how can we get this done, but no (I want 5 mil). Now he faces the fact nobody wants him , so that tells you a lot about what people think of his abiitity after 2 injury laden seasons at 35 years old. I think its time to move on, and find someone that we can live with for the next several years, instead of a 12 game season out of Urlacher.