Backup QB?

dawhizz

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Who's ever even seen this guy play? I don't know a damn thing about him. He's likely only even mentioned because of the Canadian Trestman connection. Can he fill in for a couple games without wetting himself? That's all I need to know.

That being, in the Tribune Dan Pompeii wrote that we should draft an heir apparent to Cutler fairly early. It's a good idea and it makes sense as these guys have value and the guy with the Redskins looked great. The problem is we have so many needs, how do you justify it on a possible eventual replacement/back-up?

Who's ever even seen this guy play? I don't know a damn thing about him. He's likely only even mentioned because of the Canadian Trestman connection. Can he fill in for a couple games without wetting himself? That's all I need to know.

That being, in the Tribune Dan Pompeii wrote that we should draft an heir apparent to Cutler fairly early. It's a good idea and it makes sense as these guys have value and the guy with the Redskins looked great. The problem is we have so many needs, how do you justify it on a possible eventual replacement/back-up?

I threw up over the idea of Tim Tebow being our backup quarterback.

Calvillo is 40 years old and has never played a down of NFL football in his life. Nobody in their right minds is going to offer him a contract.

This once again proves my statement- Pompei is a f***ing moron.

Draft a QB early? That is idiotic. The Bears could use a WR, DT, G, T, CB, and C all before a QB. So now instead of going best G or best C available in round 2, they should take a QB? What if Barrett Jones or Robert Woods is on the board in round 2 but so is Mike Glennon? Give me Jones OR Woods. I understand taking a QB somewhere in the draft. But fairly early? They only have 5 picks, 3 of which are in round 4 or later.

Draft a QB early? That is idiotic. The Bears could use a WR, DT, G, T, CB, and C all before a QB. So now instead of going best G or best C available in round 2, they should take a QB? What if Barrett Jones or Robert Woods is on the board in round 2 but so is Mike Glennon? Give me Jones OR Woods. I understand taking a QB somewhere in the draft. But fairly early? They only have 5 picks, 3 of which are in round 4 or later.

The Packers drafted quarterbacks all the time and they had Favre. Hasselback, Brooks, Brunnel and Rodgers. Trade down and get more picks and get a QB in the 3rd or 4th round.

Peace :dabears

The Packers drafted quarterbacks all the time and they had Favre. Hasselback, Brooks, Brunnel and Rodgers. Trade down and get more picks and get a QB in the 3rd or 4th round.

Peace :dabears

Trading down out of the first gets you an extra 2nd, a 3rd, and a 7th (maybe the 7th). If you trade down in the 1st, you likely only pick up a 3rd or a 4th, depending on how many slots you move down.

There is no point in "developing" QB's anymore. Newton, Tannehill, Luck, RG3, etc all come in now and play immediately. College football is so strong now in terms of development that these guys are reading to go right away. If they take Mike Glennon in round 2, everyone will be pissed and it'll be unncecessary. If Cutler isn't the guy after this year, take a QB in round 1 in 2014.

Trading down out of the first gets you an extra 2nd, a 3rd, and a 7th (maybe the 7th). If you trade down in the 1st, you likely only pick up a 3rd or a 4th, depending on how many slots you move down.

There is no point in "developing" QB's anymore. Newton, Tannehill, Luck, RG3, etc all come in now and play immediately. College football is so strong now in terms of development that these guys are reading to go right away. If they take Mike Glennon in round 2, everyone will be pissed and it'll be unncecessary. If Cutler isn't the guy after this year, take a QB in round 1 in 2014.

I can see it both ways. As long as they address the 2 open OG and LB positions, I don't care.

First of all let me just say that I believe the Bears and Jay Cutler have a good year so the conversation is moot but I'll entertain the idea that we somehow suck and move on from Cutler....

Next years draft should be pretty deep at QBs that can step in right away like the guys you mentioned. Barring a downfall of these guys or them staying in school you got Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Tajh Boyd, and David Fales who should be able to step in right away. If we suck bad enough to not resign Cutler then we'll probably be picking top 15 and one of those guys will be there.

I'd like to get a project/high upside guy this year. Someone that under the right tutelage could end up being the guy next year. Josh Johnson will be my pick until he's signed elsewhere.

First of all let me just say that I believe the Bears and Jay Cutler have a good year so the conversation is moot but I'll entertain the idea that we somehow suck and move on from Cutler....

Next years draft should be pretty deep at QBs that can step in right away like the guys you mentioned. Barring a downfall of these guys or them staying in school you got Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Tajh Boyd, and David Fales who should be able to step in right away. If we suck bad enough to not resign Cutler then we'll probably be picking top 15 and one of those guys will be there.

I'd like to get a project/high upside guy this year. Someone that under the right tutelage could end up being the guy next year. Josh Johnson will be my pick until he's signed elsewhere.

Josh Johnson isn't high upside. He's a guy who's been in the league for 5 years and doesn't even have 1000 passing yards. This will be his 3rd team which means 2 teams couldn't develop him. Pass.

Josh Johnson isn't high upside. He's a guy who's been in the league for 5 years and doesn't even have 1000 passing yards. This will be his 3rd team which means 2 teams couldn't develop him. Pass.

In my opinion he does have some upside he just hasn't had the opportunity to show it. He's way under the radar but I believe he's got the goods to run a read option offense. Extremely productive at San Diego where he learned under Jim Harbaugh who is one of the best in the business. MVP of the East West Shrine game in 08. 4.4 speed while still being very accurate in college (albeit an FCS school).

I very well could be wrong but I believe he's got a good upside in a read option system which the bears could turn to next year. If he's not the guy and Cutler fails then like you said you just draft a QB in the 1st and hope they turn out like the guys you mentioned before.

I think the only way drafting a QB happens is if we acquire ,more picks. It would be a wasted pick if we take one late in the draft, you pretty have to get one prospect by the 3rd round or it isnt worth much. How many late draft picks at QB make it in the NFL? Maybe a few, but most get lost in space. Ideally it would be a good idea to have a top prospect in the mix, in case the Trestman-Cutler relationship doesnt work out, we could have someone in the wings to take over, but the lack of picks throws that idea out the window.

All I know is that some pretty good teams with solid starting QBs have taken QBs early and it turned out to be good moves for the teams future.GB does it annually with Farve,Brunnel,Brooks and Rodgers.With Rodgers, Flynn, Broehm(sp?) and Harrell.The Redskins have twice in recent memory drafted 2 QBs in 1 draft Schuler and Ferrotte and last season RGIII and Cousins. NE drafted Cassell and Mallett with Brady entrenched as the starter. Seattle signed 2 FA QBs and then drafted Wilson that turned out pretty nice.SF had a number one overall pick at QB that got them to the NFC championship game but the previous year spent a 2nd rd pick on Kapernick.That turned out to be a solid move IMO.Tenn with Hasselback takes Locker. Det with Stafford takes Stanton. This is all off the top of my head and if I looked at draft history I could find more times this happens. Just like the Niners took Kapernick because Smith had yet to play up to his draft status an early QB pick by the Bears would not be met with scorn by me. I know this team has other pressing needs but consistent QB play is also a need for this team. If Geno Smith happens to fall to 20 and Emery thinks he is the BPA and takes him so be it. That would send shock waves through the lockerroom and put the QB on notice. Last year while Forte was whinning about his contract they signed Bush.Emery took SMC when he had Peppers,Idonije and Wooten on the roster.He is not afraid to go against the grain with his moves.If SMC winds up staring this year at OLB(Its looking like a real possibility) then that move may have been good.

All I know is that some pretty good teams with solid starting QBs have taken QBs early and it turned out to be good moves for the teams future.GB does it annually with Farve,Brunnel,Brooks and Rodgers.With Rodgers, Flynn, Broehm(sp?) and Harrell.The Redskins have twice in recent memory drafted 2 QBs in 1 draft Schuler and Ferrotte and last season RGIII and Cousins. NE drafted Cassell and Mallett with Brady entrenched as the starter. Seattle signed 2 FA QBs and then drafted Wilson that turned out pretty nice.SF had a number one overall pick at QB that got them to the NFC championship game but the previous year spent a 2nd rd pick on Kapernick.That turned out to be a solid move IMO.Tenn with Hasselback takes Locker. Det with Stafford takes Stanton. This is all off the top of my head and if I looked at draft history I could find more times this happens. Just like the Niners took Kapernick because Smith had yet to play up to his draft status an early QB pick by the Bears would not be met with scorn by me. I know this team has other pressing needs but consistent QB play is also a need for this team. If Geno Smith happens to fall to 20 and Emery thinks he is the BPA and takes him so be it. That would send shock waves through the lockerroom and put the QB on notice. Last year while Forte was whinning about his contract they signed Bush.Emery took SMC when he had Peppers,Idonije and Wooten on the roster.He is not afraid to go against the grain with his moves.If SMC winds up staring this year at OLB(Its looking like a real possibility) then that move may have been good.

I dont think its a bad idea to draft a QB, just think this is a bad year with less picks to add that as a choice. With Cutlers contract coming due it is the perfect timing to do it, its with all the voids on our roster and the guys are getting old that the draft should address, it would just be to much of a luxury to address that this year.

I dont think its a bad idea to draft a QB, just think this is a bad year with less picks to add that as a choice. With Cutlers contract coming due it is the perfect timing to do it, its with all the voids on our roster and the guys are getting old that the draft should address, it would just be to much of a luxury to address that this year.

Again looking at what Emery did last season at the DE position when Reilly Reif was on the board makes me feel he may be willing to do anything,then trading up in the second round for a WR when the OL was still an issue stunned me again.This is a make or break year for Cutler and if its break his replacement needs to be on the roster this year and I would prefer that it would be a young draft pick that Tresstman can tutor.We also have to consider both Jeffrey and Marshall a part of this draft since they were the reasons for the draft picks being gone.If you want a potential replacement for your QB when do you pick him?

Again looking at what Emery did last season at the DE position when Reilly Reif was on the board makes me feel he may be willing to do anything,then trading up in the second round for a WR when the OL was still an issue stunned me again.This is a make or break year for Cutler and if its break his replacement needs to be on the roster this year and I would prefer that it would be a young draft pick that Tresstman can tutor.We also have to consider both Jeffrey and Marshall a part of this draft since they were the reasons for the draft picks being gone.If you want a potential replacement for your QB when do you pick him?

The Reiley Reiff thing still bugs me. Most everybody had him projected to go to Buffalo at #10. Then he's sitting there when we pick at #19. And we draft a 3rd down situational pass rusher or a possible future replacement for Brian Urlacher. The thing was, while everybody said we needed an OT, the media knew we were going DE.

Was this Lovie's decision?

Getting back to when you pick a QB, I'd say round #4. That's it. We need two starters in rounds 1 and 2. We have no 3rd round pick. After round #4 it gets pretty ugly. We drafted Orton in round #4 and Kirt Cousins was a 4th round pick.

The Reiley Reiff thing still bugs me. Most everybody had him projected to go to Buffalo at #10. Then he's sitting there when we pick at #19. And we draft a 3rd down situational pass rusher or a possible future replacement for Brian Urlacher. The thing was, while everybody said we needed an OT, the media knew we were going DE.

Getting back to when you pick a QB, I'd say round #4. That's it. We need two starters in rounds 1 and 2. We have no 3rd round pick. After round #4 it gets pretty ugly. We drafted Orton in round #4 and Kirt Cousins was a 4th round pick.

Emery already explained his decision on Rieff, and I completely agree on that. Now DeCastro was never mentioned and he was a player I really wanted, even though we had C Williams, Louis, Spencer, and E Williams returning. OLT was the pressing need last year along with a pass rushing DE. We didn't have anyone opposite of Peppers and SMC was available and slotted in our pick by many GMs. Idonije was just signed to a one year and Wootten showed zilch, so you can't say the pick wasn't a need. The Jeffrey pick I thought made since and should work out also. It just wasn't our year for the oline.

As for drafting a QB, sure but I also agree not until round 4 or after. We now have pressing needs at LG and LB.

Emery says he sticks to his board and looks at value and that Jeffrey sitting there that deep into the 2nd Rd was too good to pass up and we did have a big need at WR. With Knox out I think it's fair to say Emery didn't overvalue Bennett. We still have needs in a lot of positions and both he and Trestman said they prefer to take best available so I won't be surprised to see another surprise this draft.

I think Lovie influence our first round pick.Emery was new here and Lovie pushed for defense like he always has.