Forte speaks out about new rule

adam

Here is what Forte said:

"The proposed rule change for running backs might be the most absurd suggestion of a rule change I've ever heard of. In order to lower ur shoulder u obviously have to lower ur head. It's a way of protecting ur self from a tackler and a way to break tackles. U can't change the instinctive nature of running the football."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id...heed-matt-forte

I know they want to make football safer, but this seems almost counter productive as runners would not be able to protect themselves from a hit. Almost the first thing you learn to do is lower your shoulders when you are about to get hit. Now they want you to stay upright as the defender plows into your ribs at full speed?

How about just improve the helmet and move to some sort of kevlar composite that absorbs some of the impact.

Agreed, it's pretty ridiculous.

I can see what the NFL is thinking as leading with your head can go both ways but these are professional athletes they should know not to lead with their head.

I learned that the hard way playing rugby, without a helmet. But I am not a professional athlete, just a Misfit.

I'm kinda puzzled by Forte's comments since he doesn't really lead with his helmet. I could see him getting vocal if they outlawed his jump cut. For years I have been saying that if they are calling hands to the face penalties and leading with the crown of the helmet penalties on defenders then why is it different when a RB leads with his helmet or stiff arms a defender in the helmet.

FYI - I've heard this same topic come from the mouths of college coordinators and NFL officials, and it's being somewhat misconstrued.

The competition committee isn't talking about a runner "lowering his head." They're talking about a runner "leading with the crown of his helmet," which has a subtle difference. I will provide one caveat, however, and that is the phrase "taking the head out of football." I've also heard that phrase used. They want to seriously eliminate any and all feasible possibility of helmet contact - we all know it stems from the legit concussion problem but also the fear of lawsuit over brain trauma - without affecting the game too much.

For what it's worth, a similar rule (12-2-8-g) has been in place for quite some time, and I don't think I've ever seen it called on a runner (even when the runner deserved the penalty):If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.

I believe the famous Payton run below is the type of action they are talking about removing. Note that he just lowers the head multiple times with the intent of leading with the crown of his helmet. He's not even looking at the defender prior to, or during contact.

FYI - I've heard this same topic come from the mouths of college coordinators and NFL officials, and it's being somewhat misconstrued.

The competition committee isn't talking about a runner "lowering his head." They're talking about a runner "leading with the crown of his helmet," which has a subtle difference. I will provide one caveat, however, and that is the phrase "taking the head out of football." I've also heard that phrase used. They want to seriously eliminate any and all feasible possibility of helmet contact - we all know it stems from the legit concussion problem but also the fear of lawsuit over brain trauma - without affecting the game too much.

For what it's worth, a similar rule (12-2-8-g) has been in place for quite some time, and I don't think I've ever seen it called on a runner (even when the runner deserved the penalty):

If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.

I believe the famous Payton run below is the type of action they are talking about removing. Note that he just lowers the head multiple times with the intent of leading with the crown of his helmet. He's not even looking at the defender prior to, or during contact.

They also mentioned that in WK 16 this past yrs they would have thrown flag for it 6 times at least. Let's also remember that just like the "defenseless rwceiver" that refs are told to throw flag for anything that's somewhat questionable

They also mentioned that in WK 16 this past yrs they would have thrown flag for it 6 times at least. Let's also remember that just like the "defenseless rwceiver" that refs are told to throw flag for anything that's somewhat questionable

What they say they would have thrown, and what they would have thrown, will end up being slightly different in the initial phases of this rule. Those are flags thrown with the advantage of slow-mo and perfect camera angles, most likely post-game penalty stuff. I doubt they would have actually thrown 6 in the game. Of course, the more this gets harped on, the more the officials have to throw it...or stop officiating.

Payton was doing what you have to do, lean forward when taking contact in order to a) protect yourself from the contact and B) absorb the impact and try to keep your forward momentum. Doing what Payton did in this video is just natural instinct in terms of protecting your head and neck from injury.

I feel exactly the same way in that defenders should be allowed to do the same.

I only take issue with the guys leading with the crown of their helmet, not their forehead area, as that IMO is spearing. I wish the NFL would just put a line on the top side of the helmet and state if the contact is intentional and above that line it's illegal. As it is now anytime a player dips their forehead for an impact it's considered illegal and that's them protecting themselves and it's a stupid rule.

Payton was doing what you have to do, lean forward when taking contact in order to a) protect yourself from the contact and B) absorb the impact and try to keep your forward momentum. Doing what Payton did in this video is just natural instinct in terms of protecting your head and neck from injury.

I feel exactly the same way in that defenders should be allowed to do the same.

I only take issue with the guys leading with the crown of their helmet, not their forehead area, as that IMO is spearing. I wish the NFL would just put a line on the top side of the helmet and state if the contact is intentional and above that line it's illegal. As it is now anytime a player dips their forehead for an impact it's considered illegal and that's them protecting themselves and it's a stupid rule.

Natural instinct? To lower your head in such a way that you don't even see the contact being made and risk your spine? Putting oneself in a potentially life-threatening predicament is not exactly natural. To be quite honest, a natural instinct would be to curl up in the fetal position and attempt to absorb as much of the punishment as possible in as many places as possible. The distribution minimizes injury risk. If you watch the video again, you'll see he does exactly what you say you take issue with: leading with the crown.