Spaeth Back to Steelers

lemonej

Resigned to 2yr deal.

Good for Spaeth. He was one helluva a blocker for us. He wasn't a bad receiver, he just didn't have the elite skill to be an explosive TE, which is what every team wants.

He had one helluva a touchdown catch this year vs. Minnesota when he laid out and stayed in bounds.

Any $$ figure out there? Apparently the Bears are looking for a blocking TE again so it'd be interesting to see how cheap Spaeth was and how much cheaper the blocking TE we sign is in comparison.

Who said we are looking for a blocking TE? Spaeth was only due like 1.25 million from the Bears. I only wonder because if we wanted blocking, Spaeth was the best in the league.

Who said we are looking for a blocking TE? Spaeth was only due like 1.25 million from the Bears. I only wonder because if we wanted blocking, Spaeth was the best in the league.

I believe it was Biggs who said the Bears are "in the lead" for signing Steve Maneri who's a big 6'6" 280 pound blocking TE. I agree that it's a bit of an odd series of moves.

That's true, and I'm hearing this Maneri fellow is pretty damn good in run blocking as well. Former college OT....But so was Brody Eldridge and is probably even cheaper.

Another trend that is quietly showing up in NFL playbooks is the extra OT playing in short yardage and goal line situations maybe those mocks that have the Bears on Fluker(I don't believe that) are assuming that they may use that formation from time to time. Just think, if you are lined up against a Terrell Suggs or Clay Matthews and you can make them run past 600 pounds instead of 300 miight be effective.

Another trend that is quietly showing up in NFL playbooks is the extra OT playing in short yardage and goal line situations maybe those mocks that have the Bears on Fluker(I don't believe that) are assuming that they may use that formation from time to time. Just think, if you are lined up against a Terrell Suggs or Clay Matthews and you can make them run past 600 pounds instead of 300 miight be effective.

Saints used it a bit in the 2 games I watched, and they also lined the OT up as a FB, but I certainly wouldn't use a 1st round DP on a situational extra OT. The loser of Webb/Carimi could fill that void.