Bears grab DJ Williams

Stinger226

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of potential there if he gets his act together. Maybe he can have a Marshallesque turnaround and give the Bears 3-4 solid seasons. Not sure I wanna pencil him in at MLB just yet but he sure has the potential to fit the bill.

Mods might wanna change it to D.J. Williams to end confusion.

I really don't want to see a LB in the first, so hopefully this makes that less likely. The D was really good with Urlacher back there last year. People say Urlacher was broken down, so the need for a first round LB in the position isn't there.

Hopefully now that pick can be used for OL, or they can trade back and get 2 OL. That's where the big gaping holes were on the team last year.

A lot of potential there if he gets his act together. Maybe he can have a Marshallesque turnaround and give the Bears 3-4 solid seasons. Not sure I wanna pencil him in at MLB just yet but he sure has the potential to fit the bill.

Mods might wanna change it to D.J. Williams to end confusion.

Changed the thread title as you suggested

I don't know about TJ Williams, is he related to DJ? Just kidding!

My right hand has numb fingers on it, so sometimes they hit the wrong keys, and I dont always proofread my posts, so you will notice my posts seem to have more mistakes than most on here. I just dont always proofread my stuff.

I like the deal. $900k base. Can be worth up to 1.75M and best of all nothing is guaranteed at all. I know he's got character concerns but a 1 yr non guaranteed prove it deal is perfect

I agree. He was a former 1st round pick that has shown the ability to be a difference maker. He has screwed up his career with foolish mistakes. If he can get his act together we have a good signing. If he screws up we lose nothing, no guaranteed money, very low salary. I think it is a solid gamble on what might be a good stop gap. We still need to draft some youth to develop for the defense.

He's 30 years old. He is what he is. The Bears still need more youth at that position, so it shouldn't change their priorities in the draft at all. I'm not sure he's a MLB in our system either.

This is a stop gap,he is only signed for one year. If he plays well, we may get another year out of him. He came out the same year Briggs did, but is one year younger. Like BB said, if we get a draft prospect or another FA, DJ can play all three positions. It is a cheap option, that could turn out to be an upgrade. He has had several good years in Denver.

WF chimes in.

Bears sign OLB D.J. Williams (1 year, $900,000): A Grade

I love this move. The Bears were willing to pay Brian Urlacher $2 million to remain with the team. Urlacher declined, yet Chicago obtained someone better and younger for less than half as much.

The only reason this isn't an A+ grade is because Williams doesn't have the best history of staying on the field. He started just one game last year and missed some time in 2011 as well. But this is part of the reason Chicago is able to buy low like this. Getting Williams for $900,000 (he could make as much as $1.75 million if he hits his incentives) is a steal.

Anyone have some hard insight on the guy?

Is he fast?

Is he a big hitter?

Tackling machine?

What were his troubles?

Quickest 40 time out of college was a 4.48 so yes, he's fast. 2 time Butkus Award semi finalist at the U. #17 overall pick, so he has/had a ton of talent.

Lead the AFC in tackles in his last year as a 4-3 MLB with 141.

His troubles were with DUIs and a failed drug test. Was a Co Captain until his 2nd DUI so I don't know if that's due to his leadership or just because he was really good.

Could turn out to be a steal.

Thanks for the info scs!

Here's hoping for at least a solid contribution this season!

Quickest 40 time out of college was a 4.48 so yes, he's fast. 2 time Butkus Award semi finalist at the U. #17 overall pick, so he has/had a ton of talent.

Lead the AFC in tackles in his last year as a 4-3 MLB with 141.

His troubles were with DUIs and a failed drug test. Was a Co Captain until his 2nd DUI so I don't know if that's due to his leadership or just because he was really good.

Could turn out to be a steal.

Guest TerraTor
This is official.

Williams is alright but has had a lot of injuries and has character issues. Blah.

Another reason to hate my phone... It wont let me use the puke emoticon