Bears sign Matt Slauson

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Here's a second source:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664143

WEAKNESSES: At his size, Fluker is strictly a right tackle or perhaps even a guard prospect as he hasn't demonstrated the agility or balance necessary to handle NFL speed rushers on a consistent basis. Even as a run blocker -- his specialty -- Fluker has a tendency to drop his head and stop his feet as he makes contact, resulting in some of his more talented opponents being able to disengage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read enough who question his ability to pass protect at RT in the NFL but I'd say the majority opinion is that he'll be ok in pass protection at RT. Just ok. In short he'll be what Carimi was supposed to be: Outstanding run blocker and average pass blocker.

If we draft him I'd be willing to bet the coaches will give him a look at both spots and see where they think he fits in best. Ideally that'd be RT but if he turned into an excellent player at OG I'd be happy.

Ya there are a ton of reports out there similar to this one. I haven't read a single one that says he won't struggle in the pass game and that's why I question him as a RT and am calling him a RG....He gave up the most sacks in the SEC and we all agree that the SEC is the closest thing to the nfl in college.

The real question here is: Is Slauson an upgrade over Louis?

I'd say yes without hesitation.

Another thing I noticed about Slausson is that early in his career he played some OC so maybe if James Brown develops into a solid LG they can potentially move Slausson inside???

Also the problem with Jones is teams are expecting him to start the year on the PUP list. That means he won't be able to go through training camp and he might have some of the strength concerns Carimi was having by being injured in the offseason...I think that's why he is falling down into the 4th rounds of many mock drafts, you can't really count on him to come in and contribute next year at all...With the Bears only having 5 picks I'm gonna pass on Jones unless he falls all the way to us in the 4th.

I disagree I think Flukers size would make it difficult for any pass rusher to slip past the line. At least we agree that he would make a nice pick though :) In regards to Carimi, he must impress in training camp- I think Webb has the edge over the two.

Watch this video. #76 Fluker is opening up the run and eating up his counterparts in the RT position.

I watched the video and it doesn't change my opinion. On the second or third play he gets beat easily in pass protection on a move to the inside. He's good straight ahead but when he has to move to get to his assignment he misses as often as he finds his man. He got beat on a few other plays one where a LB stood him up on an outside run and then came off the block to make a tackle for a loss. You might think he'd be running that guy over but didn't happen.

He won't get pushed backward like Carimi was last year but based on that film he will struggle with good edge rushers and he's not good at the second level blocking, too stiff. He seems to be high in his 3-pt stance and I'm not sure that will serve him well at OG as those guys usually seem to have more knee bend in their stance but I'll leave that up to the Oline experts on the board.

Warford actually moves better in space, short area at least but doesn't have as much power in blocking. He has his share of misses in this highlight too but he's a second round pick versus first round.