EDITORIAL /Im bored

Stinger226

Not much going on right now and since I like moving my mouth, I will talk frankly.

With Emery(last year) and Trestman this year, we have is new blood and new hopes to hang our hat on. Although I thought Lovie was a good coach, he had way to many bad habits I didnt like. He talked down to people in interviews, had bad clock management, was to loyal to players that didnt pan out, and no offensive prespective. JA just sucked at drafting and that is what we hired him for. Emery's first draft has yet to look good, but I honestly think he was handcuffed with Lovie still in his year. He brought in BM and it came cheap, so if nobody in the draft works out, he was a winner in his first year. I still thinks it takes 3 years to give a honest review of his draft. What I like about him is he has a plan, good or bad has yet to be determined, but he does what he thinks is best. He doesnt let the McCaskey family interfere in his job, he accepts full responsibly for what he is doing. Probably the biggest thing he has done so far is not let koolaid drinking fans influence the decision to not bring Urlacher back. He sees him as old, injury prone, and not able to contribute anymore, especially at what Brian wanted to come back. He would have brought him back at his price, but Urlachers ego let it get in the way about what he is worth. I think he would have contributed as a leader of defense, but his play would not have been pretty. He choose not to work for 2 mil, and now nobody in the league is interested in him, and could sign for a minimum contract, and be somebodys backup on a good team.

With Trestman we have no idea how well he will do , but if we look at his history, he will absolutely make Cutler a better QB, or he will find one he can work with. We now have a offense that could join the modern NFL and could rise to a top 10 appearance in the stats department. The defense will slide some but I think good enough to get us to the playoffs. The key to all this IMO is how well him and Culter mesh into the new offense. Secondly the OL needs to be better, and I think it will at least move to the top 15 to 20 OLs in the league and would be volumes better.

Conclusion: I think this all works and we will be a playoff team this year, even though with a new coach, the odds are against that. Also I think the LBs they picked up play well, and SCM has more of an impact this year.I still think he adds someone on the OL, a speed WR appears, and we all have something to root for. Take in consideration I am a optimist, and live that more comfortably than being negative about everything that happens in the Bears present and future. I may have to one day accept this all didnt work out, but I dont need to do it today.

I'm optimistic simply because the team has started making the right kind of moves. It's yet to be seen if those moves will pay off. The only productive addition last year was Brandon Marshall.

This year is a year of change. A long standing team philosophy of defense first has been tossed a side. Trestman brings in a very brilliant offensive mind. He's had success on many levels, and hopefully that success can continue on with the Chicago Bears. It won't be easy.

Jerry Angelo left behind a team in very bad shape. It seems weird to say that about a team that is constantly 8-8 or better. The stars on the team are old. Sadly, there isn't quality players being groomed to take over their positions. Their age not only means diminishing returns on their play, but also they eat up a larger amount of the cap. Where there are aging stars on the team, there is no depth. In places like the OL that needs starters, there is nothing but depth.

Bushrod is a starter no doubt, but that came at a large price. The team has taken on many large contracts in the last few years. Sadly, once Forte was signed and Melton was tagged, the team doesn't have any star players out playing their rookie contracts. Jerry Angelo brought in players with a high price tag like Peppers and Cutler, and now Emery has made his 2 high priced additions in Marshall and Bushrod.

Between these additions and aging players, the Bears are in the worst place cap-wise that I can remember. This puts Emery in a very hard position. He's signing players with potential but they are what they are. They are bottom dollar cast offs from other teams. Hopefully they turn out, but if they do the Bears may be financially unable to resign them to new contracts.

The looming contracts for Cutler and Melton will not help this in the future. QBs are being paid more and more every year. Flacco just set a new standard for non Elite QBs to be paid. This makes this years draft even that more important.

The only way for Emery to succeed will be to draft well. Not just for the influx of talent, but also for financial savings of having starters on their rookie contract. That makes this years draft very important to the future of this team.

I will give Emery time before I am overly critical of him. He inherited a team that was old, that needed starters at almost ever offensive position, and youth on defense. One that had a coach that was not in his future plans, and needing to change the culture and philosophy of a team that had little change in leadership in the last ten years. He's going to have to find ways to get money to spend, while not hindering the cap space in the future.

It's a heavy load, and a tough road ahead for Mr. Emery. Hopefully his drafting knowledge and Trestman's offensive knowledge will not only meet but exceed the vision Emery has for this team. I for one am enjoying the ride so far. I can't wait to see this team once it has fully developed with the talent needed to fulfill their visions.

I'm optimistic simply because the team has started making the right kind of moves. It's yet to be seen if those moves will pay off. The only productive addition last year was Brandon Marshall.

This year is a year of change. A long standing team philosophy of defense first has been tossed a side. Trestman brings in a very brilliant offensive mind. He's had success on many levels, and hopefully that success can continue on with the Chicago Bears. It won't be easy.

Jerry Angelo left behind a team in very bad shape. It seems weird to say that about a team that is constantly 8-8 or better. The stars on the team are old. Sadly, there isn't quality players being groomed to take over their positions. Their age not only means diminishing returns on their play, but also they eat up a larger amount of the cap. Where there are aging stars on the team, there is no depth. In places like the OL that needs starters, there is nothing but depth.

Bushrod is a starter no doubt, but that came at a large price. The team has taken on many large contracts in the last few years. Sadly, once Forte was signed and Melton was tagged, the team doesn't have any players out playing their rookie contracts. Jerry Angelo brought in players with a high price tag like Peppers and Cutler, and now Emery has made his 2 high priced additions in Marshall and Bushrod.

Between these additions and aging players, the Bears are in the worst place cap-wise that I can remember. This puts Emery in a very hard position. He's signing players with potential but they are what they are. They are bottom dollar cast offs from other teams. Hopefully they turn out, but if they do the Bears may be financially unable to resign them to new contracts.

The looming contracts for Cutler and Melton will not help this in the future. QBs are being paid more and more every year. Flacco just set a new standard for non Elite QBs to be paid. This makes this years draft even that more important.

The only way for Emery to succeed will be to draft well. Not just for the influx of talent, but also for financial savings of having starters on their rookie contract. That makes this years draft very important to the future of this team.

I will give Emery time before I am overly critical of him. He inherited a team that was old, that needed starters at almost ever offensive position, and youth on defense. One that had a coach that was not in his future plans, and needing to change the culture and philosophy of a team that had little change in leadership in the last ten years. He's going to have to find ways to get money to spend, while not hindering the cap space in the future.

It's a heavy load, and a tough road ahead for Mr. Emery. Hopefully his drafting knowledge and Trestman's offensive knowledge will not only meet but exceed the vision Emery has for this team. I for one am enjoying the ride so far. I can't wait to see this team once it has fully developed with the talent needed to fulfill their visions.

This has lead to the team being in bad cap space.

If they don't trade for or sign anymore guys, they will have about $40 million in cap space next year, so I'm not too sure where you got this information at.

I got my information from the fact they had very little money to work with this year. That they couldn't offer Urlacher a better contract.

There may be 40 million open at the end of the year, but look at who all they have to sign. Cutler, Tillman, Gould, Garza, Melton, Jennings, Hester, Wright, Wooton, Webb and so on. Cutler, Jennings, Tillman, and Melton will take up around 30-40 mill a year average themselves. I'm sure they will back load it some, but that just hurts the future.

If they don't trade for or sign anymore guys, they will have about $40 million in cap space next year, so I'm not too sure where you got this information at.

This is true but there are also a plethora of big time FAs set to hit the market. Briggs, Tillman, Jennings, Cutler, Melton, and then the 3 guys we threw 1 year deals at Williams, Anderson, and Slausson.

I got my information from the fact they had very little money to work with this year. That they couldn't offer Urlacher a better contract.

There may be 40 million open at the end of the year, but look at who all they have to sign. Cutler, Tillman, Gould, Garza, Melton, Jennings, Hester, Wright, Wooton, Webb and so on. Cutler, Jennings, Tillman, and Melton will take up around 30-40 mill a year average themselves. I'm sure they will back load it some, but that just hurts the future.

What makes u think guys like Garza, hester,Wooten, Webb and wright are extended. Then there is a good possibility that if Tillman is extended his contract will be team friendly due to age and we all know father time will catch up and teams aren't willing to pay big $$ to aging vets anymore. I'll give u cutler and Melton but I'm willing to bet his #s wont be astronomical. Personally I love the way we are set up financially cuz emery has all kinds of flexibility here unlike a lot of teams out there

What makes u think guys like Garza, hester,Wooten, Webb and wright are extended. Then there is a good possibility that if Tillman is extended his contract will be team friendly due to age and we all know father time will catch up and teams aren't willing to pay big $$ to aging vets anymore. I'll give u cutler and Melton but I'm willing to bet his #s wont be astronomical. Personally I love the way we are set up financially cuz emery has all kinds of flexibility here unlike a lot of teams out there

Like someone mentioned before, Emery didnt come into the best situation when it comes to the cap space. Several players carry big cap numbers, but think he has done well with what he has to work with. I think next year some of the big contracts will be cut or lowered and more adjusting of the roster will continue.

I'm sure no one here will be upset if Garza, Hester, and Webb are not Bears in 2014.

If they draft a CB and he's a stud, they'll probably let Tillman go too. If Cutler doesn't perform, he's likely gone as well and so is Wootton, most likely. They might even let Gould walk and take a K in round 5 or 6 next season.

It's not like they're going to HAVE to keep all of these guys.

I'm sure no one here will be upset if Garza, Hester, and Webb are not Bears in 2014.

If they draft a CB and he's a stud, they'll probably let Tillman go too. If Cutler doesn't perform, he's likely gone as well and so is Wootton, most likely. They might even let Gould walk and take a K in round 5 or 6 next season.

It's not like they're going to HAVE to keep all of these guys.

I can see the team easily without Hester and Garza next year. I believe Garza would sign cheep though, if he still has gas in the tank. Webb, I believe will have a decent season and rate favorably for the first time. At 24, would you really want to let him go. He likely won't be expensive unless he plays lights out. All other young talent will be a priority to sign. We all hope Cutler will have a Flacco like season, but if he does, count on 20 million a year. That 40 million surplus won't last long.

Huge cap savings next year could come from cutting Forte, Bush, Bennett and Peppers. But if they play great, you can't really ask for relief.

Garza cut next season...agreed.

Hester cut next season...not so sure he could end up with a new restructured contract for less if he pans out as a returner this season. If he won't accept that he's gone.

Peppers I expect him to get cut and then perhaps rework his contract. I'd still like him around but not at that cap hit. Let's be honest here...he's not going to give us 10 sacks a year after this season.

Bennett likely gone unless he excels in a big way this year. I expect his replacement to be drafted this year.

I will not be surprised if Briggs is cut next year either but I tend to think that's less likely.

Bottom line for me is that I believe Emery will give Trestman every chance to build his team. That was clear when Urlacher was let go.

Hester cut next season...not so sure he could end up with a new restructured contract for less if he pans out as a returner this season. If he won't accept that he's gone.

Peppers I expect him to get cut and then perhaps rework his contract. I'd still like him around but not at that cap hit. Let's be honest here...he's not going to give us 10 sacks a year after this season.

Bennett likely gone unless he excels in a big way this year. I expect his replacement to be drafted this year.

I will not be surprised if Briggs is cut next year either but I tend to think that's less likely.

Bottom line for me is that I believe Emery will give Trestman every chance to build his team. That was clear when Urlacher was let go.

Garza might still be serviceable if we could get him cheap....

Agree completed Re Peppers and Bennett for next year.

It will be interesting to see how Trestmann rebuilds, compared to years past he is making some good moves which gives me a good feeling for the future.

I think they cut Hester or make him take a pay cut this year. We will save 2.1 if we cut him with 833,000 dead cap. That is to much money for a KRer.

I think you are right on with Peppers next year, they redo his deal and stays another year. I think next year the dead cap money would only be 3.2 mil., so cutting him out right is probable .

Bennett becomes productive, we keep him but redoes his contract. He is paid way to much for what he gave us last year.

I think Forte has a big year this year and we keeep him around.

I think Briggs stays to finish his contract, and gets a Urlacher deal. Take it or leave.

I also think we end up cutting Gould this year and redo his contract. He will make 2.9 mil, and with all the vets getting cut, we could get one for a mil.

I also think after this year Podlesh is gone. This year the dead money would be 1.2 but next year they will be no penalty.

Micheal Bush has his guaranteed money done after this year, so that could be a spot to free up money next year.

Bottom line is next year will have some sweeping changes and will have more money that we think they will.

I think they cut Hester or make him take a pay cut this year. We will save 2.1 if we cut him with 833,000 dead cap. That is to much money for a KRer.

I think you are right on with Peppers next year, they redo his deal and stays another year. I think next year the dead cap money would only be 3.2 mil., so cutting him out right is probable .

Bennett becomes productive, we keep him but redoes his contract. He is paid way to much for what he gave us last year.

I think Forte has a big year this year and we keeep him around.

I think Briggs stays to finish his contract, and gets a Urlacher deal. Take it or leave.

I also think we end up cutting Gould this year and redo his contract. He will make 2.9 mil, and with all the vets getting cut, we could get one for a mil.

I also think after this year Podlesh is gone. This year the dead money would be 1.2 but next year they will be no penalty.

Micheal Bush has his guaranteed money done after this year, so that could be a spot to free up money next year.

Bottom line is next year will have some sweeping changes and will have more money that we think they will.

No way should Gould get cut. He is light yrs better than anyone else that is available and our offense isn't good enough to have a below avg kicker. Redo his contract if u need to but he has to stay

To me Emery just put us in a great position for next offseason. The Bears will have 26 UFA's, almost half of their roster, and with a few restructures/extensions (Peppers, Marshall, Briggs, Bennett, and Bush), the Bears will have about $60 million to play with.

To me Emery just put us in a great position for next offseason. The Bears will have 26 UFA's, almost half of their roster, and with a few restructures/extensions (Peppers, Marshall, Briggs, Bennett, and Bush), the Bears will have about $60 million to play with.

And on top of that the team will be young again

No way should Gould get cut. He is light yrs better than anyone else that is available and our offense isn't good enough to have a below avg kicker. Redo his contract if u need to but he has to stay

Agreed, In a league where the average margin of victory is within a FG having one of hte most accurate kickers in the history of the game is worth the money. Compare what his $3mil gets us versus Hester's $2+mil? Or Bennett's $4mil?