Should we test the theory?

AZ54

I like the idea of getting everyone's input on which available players should have been targets. From there it seems better that we either advocate individually or we arrive at a player ranking combination (since no site is all-encompassing). Having people advocate for their own guy seems like a better way to do it. Narrow that down to X number of choices. Vote. Top 3 go forward. Vote for the actual selection.

Yeah I agree with this idea

I can't imagine it happening any other way in the draft war room. Imagine sometime last year...

Emery: "OK guys. Here are my thoughts. We need a play-maker to pair with Brandon Marshall. We need protection for Jay pretty badly at more than one position. A defensive end, too, I guess."

Lovie (Raising his hand in the air, waving it frantically): "Ooooh. Oooh! Oooh!"

Emery: "I already told you, Lovie, you don't have to raise your hand to speak."

Lovie: "I think a defensive end is definitely what we need."

Emery: "Are you sure? We weren't too bad in defense last year."

Lovie: "Oh, yeah, definitely. That's why I think. And just because I'm thinking about it, we probably need a safety or cornerback from a small school."

Emery: "We'll get to that later. Mike, what do you think."

Tice (picking his nose with his thumb): "I like our guys. They did well. Showed a lot of talent."

Emery: "You guys do realize the offense has been bad for a while, and Jay personally begged me to draft offensive linemen and wide receivers, right?"

Tice (scratching his butt): "Yeah, but I like our guys."

Lovie: "Agreed. It's about execution. We need to go out and execute."

Tice: "Coach them up. I don't need a pro-bowler at LT to make my offense work like Martz did. (winks at Lovie)"

Emery: "Fine. If you guys honestly believe that, we'll go defensive end. Now, who fits our defense the best? We need a 4-3 guy, a perfect 5 technique for our defense."

Lovie: "I think..."

Emery (cutting Lovie off): "Rod? Your thoughts?"

Marinelli: "Me and Lovie agree. He knows what I wants."

Lovie (quickly): "Shae McClellin!"

Emery: "Huh? The guy the Packers want as an OLB in their 3-4?"

Lovie (smiling): "Yep."

Emery: "You realize he is sorta light, and many have him going much later?"

Lovie (excitedly): Yep. Gotta have him now."

Emery: "Alright, it's your funeral. Phone it in."

It doesn't change our approach, we will base our picks on where the Bears draft, including any trades up or down during the draft. We'll just evaluate the players available at that pick and then vote for our draftee.

Is there a site with a player ranking system we can all agree is worth using, at least as a basis for starting the discussion of who should be our top 5 or so for voting on our draft pick?

Or do we just open the discussion for everyone to submit player names and state their case for those players? Like I said, I can see these debates taking place over a few days as we all have jobs/family and will need time to get everyone's input, as well as for some of us who aren't avid draftniks (like me) to do a bit of research. I think it is very fair for people to try to persuade others to their side. Then gather all the names and make the poll with them? Perhaps we do a couple rounds of voting to narrow down the choices? Again first round is easier but later rounds it gets more challenging as you have more prospects with similar grades.

In reality this is how teams build their draft boards and coaches and scouts gather together and give input on the various players. We're going to have the same debates via the message board but on a much more limited scale since we're just looking at the players who were actually available for a known draft spot.

Well if the Bears trade down and we would rather have a player they could have had at 20, doesnt that give us a different option? Or do we only pick with whatever the Bears picks are?

I can't imagine it happening any other way in the draft war room. Imagine sometime last year...

Emery: "OK guys. Here are my thoughts. We need a play-maker to pair with Brandon Marshall. We need protection for Jay pretty badly at more than one position. A defensive end, too, I guess."

Lovie (Raising his hand in the air, waving it frantically): "Ooooh. Oooh! Oooh!"

Lovie: "Oh, yeah, definitely. That's why I think. And just because I'm thinking about it, we probably need a safety or cornerback from a small school."

Tice (picking his nose with his thumb): "I like our guys. They did well. Showed a lot of talent."

Emery: "You guys do realize the offense has been bad for a while, and Jay personally begged me to draft offensive linemen and wide receivers, right?"

Tice: "Coach them up. I don't need a pro-bowler at LT to make my offense work like Martz did. (winks at Lovie)"

Emery: "Fine. If you guys honestly believe that, we'll go defensive end. Now, who fits our defense the best? We need a 4-3 guy, a perfect 5 technique for our defense."

Brilliant, truly funny, haha.

Absolutely hilarious. Always did wonder how exactly those conversations go on in a war room. Now we all know. Let's hire the rock also. Imagine how those convos might go lol

Its quite clever of you, but in a way it is sad,because I totally agree with Emery had Lovie in his ear last year.

Well if the Bears trade down and we would rather have a player they could have had at 20, doesnt that give us a different option? Or do we only pick with whatever the Bears picks are?

I think we just go with where the Bears pick otherwise the "what ifs' open the door for lots of variations. You know how our debates go.....should Webb stay or should he go now....

I'm good with Jason's idea. We all submit the names, debate it and narrow it down to 3 choices. Not sure we'll ever agree to just 3 choices so I tend to think that'll take a couple votes, or some longer debates.

I think we just go with where the Bears pick otherwise the "what ifs' open the door for lots of variations. You know how our debates go.....should Webb stay or should he go now....

I'm good with Jason's idea. We all submit the names, debate it and narrow it down to 3 choices. Not sure we'll ever agree to just 3 choices so I tend to think that'll take a couple votes, or some longer debates.

that all sounds good.